FAQ

CamDawg

The EE Fixpack (EEFP) is a community-created unofficial collection of fixes for BGEE, BG2EE, IWDEE, and PsTEE. The goal is to supplement the latest releases while we wait for the next official patch, as well as provide a forum where we can discuss bugs and fixes as a community.

Is this endorsed or supported by Beamdog?

No. Any bugs we identify will be filed with Beamdog's bug tracker in the hopes of making it into future patches, but there's no formal relationship.

Which version of the game does the EE Fixpack support?

The EEFP supports the current version of the games, which (at present) is v3.1.4 for PsTEE and 2.6.6 for the other games. As new patches get released, EEFP will be updated to work with the new versions. Support will not be provided for older versions.

Can I install this on a game in progress?

The EEFP, at the end of the day, is just another mod. (First time modding the game? We've got a tutorial for that.) As such all of the usual caveats of mod installation apply: installing it on a game in progress will probably result in issues. In terms of install order, it should be installed first with the sole exception of BGEE+SoD games from Steam or GOG that require DLC Merger first.

What about EET?

Ideally you'd install EEFP on both of your BGEE and BG2EE games before merging them. However, at present the EET installer will reject a BGEE installation if a mod is installed that it doesn't recognize. Until EET updates, the current recommendation is to use EEFP only on the BG2EE game.

Can I get these fixes for other platforms, such as mobile (Android/iOS) or console (PS4, Switch, Xbox)?

The tool we use, WeiDU, is easily deployed for Windows, macOS, and Linux. Unfortunately while there are some workarounds for getting mods to install on other platforms, it's not something we can easily test and therefore the EEFP will only be actively supported on desktop.

How do you define a bug?

The short answer is that a bug is anything the developers didn't intend. There's also a longer answer. In some cases we can identify a bug, but there may be multiple ways to go about fixing it. There's a natural tendency to want to 'fix' things because it'll make for a better game, so having robust discussions on issues is critical to keeping the EEFP high-quality and to prevent feature creep. As such feedback and suggestions are welcome in both the identification of bugs and how to fix them.

What about exploits? Are those considered bugs?

In general we'll take the same approach that the BG2 Fixpack did: if it's an exploit a player can reasonably run into and is not intended by the  devs, we'll close it. We want the game to be as bug-free as possible for players, but we're not going to close some obscure exploit just because.

I'm a player. How can I help?

There are two ways to contribute: if you encounter a bug, report it with as much information as you can provide. (If you're on a modded game and aren't sure if the bug is due to the game or one of the mods, report it anyway.) Also, feel free to discuss bugs and fixes within the forum; one of the things that made BG2FP successful was having robust discussions about what to fix, and how to fix it. More feedback leads to better solutions.

I'm a modder. How can I help?

All the things that players can do, above, plus contribute your own code. The EEFP is meant to be a community project in the truest sense--there are no closed workrooms and the project has been on Github from the beginning. You're welcome to contribute fixes (read this first) or other improvements via pull request.

Edited by CamDawg
Added EET note
10 hours ago, CamDawg said:

Unfortunately while there are some workarounds for getting mods to install on other platforms, it's not something we can easily test and therefore the EEFP will only be actively supported on desktop.

I'll be certainly happy to test EEFP on iPadOS... And I guess the same holds for @subtledoctor... Also, neither here nor there, but someone managed to run WeiDU directly on his Android device...

Anyway, shouldn't we actually code something (and test it) before going public...?

Sure, happy to test on iOS. (Though, not with IWDEE because goddam Beamdog can't get off their arses to change the tiniest little file extension OS hook... :mad: ) I don't expect there to be any problems, certainly not any different problems that might come up on other platforms. The main area that seems to cause trouble on iOS is with UI mods, and of course .exe hacks.

I've even got clean installs at the moment, while I waste time mucking around with an outdated version of EET. :wallbash:

Hence the weasel-worded 'actively support'. If a player shows up with an issue on Win/macOS/Linux, pretty much anyone can help them. If it's an Android/iOS issue, then the number of people who can help is substantially fewer. That doesn't mean I want to exclude non-desktop players, but I want to be very transparent that our ability to address issues on non-desktop platforms is limited or, in some cases, nonexistent.

I'll add something for EET as well.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Anyway, shouldn't we actually code something (and test it) before going public...?

The repo is built, but currently private as making it public would be a premature announcement. I've already included my stuff (basically IWDFP and the spell bugs from IWDification/SCS) so that we'd have some live code to serve as an example. As a Gibb, David has access as well and just added the 318 immunity code as well as the 109/175/185 changes. Once it goes public I expect I'll have a number of pull requests to merge, particularly from @jmerry, who's apparently written 90% of the project already. 😄

We're not waiting for a release to announce the project. Recall that one of the principles from BG2FP that I'd like to continue here is openness: the goal is to get buy-in from players and be responsive to their concerns. I want and expect players to comment on things like the paralysis/hold/immobilization changes, because their opinions will matter and we may change direction based on feedback. Presenting a list of fixes, decided upon by modders, as a done deal is the opposite of how I want the project to be run. I'd also like players to have an opportunity to report their own bugs--e.g. I'm sure PsTEE has issues, but we have no bug reports as of yet.

I expect the first release to be a beta for testing and we'll see where to go from there. For comparison BG2FP went through four betas in ~four months prior to its v1. 

11 hours ago, DavidW said:

I think it's important that a FP just applies to the unmodded game. EET should start with FPd BGEE/BG2EE.

Except that without active involvement from @K4thos to support it with a maintenance update, it can't. EET refuses to import a BGEE folder which includes a mod it's internal converter doesn't recognize. This proposed Fixpack is currently of such.

Additionally, Project Infinity doesn't support installing any mod to the BG2 folder prior to EET import in EET mode. Your proposal would be ideal, but the situation is less than ideal.

Edited by Graion Dilach
On 3/29/2022 at 9:06 PM, CamDawg said:

Ideally you'd install EEFP on both of your BGEE and BG2EE games before merging them. However, at present the EET installer will reject a BGEE installation if a mod is installed that it doesn't recognize. Until EET updates, the current recommendation is to use EEFP only on the BG2EE game.

Just a note for others if you want to go ahead and be a guinea pig and test doing this like I did: in the EET directory, there is the EET.tp2 file, and if you open it up with a text editor, you can go to line 229 and replace "PATCH_FAIL" with "PATCH_WARNING".

A better option would be to open EET/tbl/compatibility tbl and add

EEFIXPACK 0

to it.

That's how it should look like initially, and if we find compatibility issues, it'll turn out to be 1. I'm planning to take a look, but only after there is a release.

Edited by Graion Dilach
Guest Morgoth
On 3/30/2022 at 10:13 PM, DavidW said:

Let me put it this way: I think this project should be aimed at providing fixes to the unmodded games. If someone then wants to take the FP and turn it into a FP for an EET-modded game, then good for them.

DavidW, thank you. From the bottom of my heart. There is an insane obsession for EET in almost every topic.

Guest Morgoth
On 3/30/2022 at 10:13 PM, DavidW said:

Let me put it this way: I think this project should be aimed at providing fixes to the unmodded games. If someone then wants to take the FP and turn it into a FP for an EET-modded game, then good for them.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for not pushing the eet agenda. In every topic there is someone always pushing for that mod like if it is a must.

Hi everyone,

I know that EET agenda was mentioned in previous messages of this thread. But I would like to ask after some time, if there is any roadmap of this excellent mod to be compatible with EET? I apologize in advance if I offended anyone with this message.

Thank you for feedabck.