Baldurs Gate Graphical Overhaul BGGO for EET, BGT (Tutu, BGEE)

Now that Spellholdstudios can drag on longer, I'll continue here on G3 in this thread.

Yovaneth had announced on Beamdog in February that he was reworking the BGGO mod. I didn't discover this until early June and contacted him. He sent me the revised Baldurs Gate City maps and I am in the process of integrating them into the mod. The maps look fantastic, much nicer colors and much sharper (no more tiz compression).

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1194058/#Comment_1194058

As Salk posted in the Github issue of the BGGO mod:

Since the Forum has been down for so long now and weigo can not post updates there about his work on BGGOEET, I thought I could open an issue here to keep track of the improvements made towards full compatibility with BGT.

We might like to make a bullet point list with what was not working and is working now and what is left to do.

I'll start here with a list:

- new Baldurs Gate city maps (in progress 10/10).

- EE and nonEE version works and is all in one pack.

- compatible with EET and BGT (testing by more people)

- compatible with Tutu and BGEE (not yet tested)

- nonEE bug of swapped parts should be fixed (testing by more people)
https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/27768-baldurs-gate-graphics-overhaul-for-eet/?do=findComment&comment=256703

- EE bug with lines between tiles should be fixed (testing by more people)

https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/27768-baldurs-gate-graphics-overhaul-for-eet/?do=findComment&comment=247064

- only one Baldurs Gate City map (no PP or nPP option anymore) (done)

- Revision of the installation code (done)

- more torches, candles and fireplaces from Jarl's Adventure Pack (done)

- searchmap compatibility with other mods (done)

My thanks also go to all those who have fixed many small bugs over the years. I would love to name them all, but unfortunately I can't check the forum at the moment. :(

Here is the link for the actual beta version:

https://github.com/SpellholdStudios/BGGOEET/tree/v3-beta

Edited by Weigo

This is a great news. Thank you for your work to bring this mod back to live.

I have been following the progress of your work for a long time. I look forward to see completed integration new Baldurs Gate city maps into mod.

Do you have plan to create a nightmap for the Ice Island (AR1008)? This location does not have nightmap at all.

12 hours ago, Parys said:

This is a great news. Thank you for your work to bring this mod back to live.

I have been following the progress of your work for a long time. I look forward to see completed integration new Baldurs Gate city maps into mod.

Do you have plan to create a nightmap for the Ice Island (AR1008)? This location does not have nightmap at all.

When the rest is through, I'll take a look at it.

9 hours ago, Endarire said:

How compatible is BGGO with BGEE Denoised Areas?  Note that denoised uses an AI algorithm to make the vanilla backgrounds higher resolution, meaning they likely aren't compatible.  I just wanted to hear the official verdict and whether there were plans to account for crossmod with this.

Thankee!

You need to install the Denoised Areas first and then BGGO. But this will result in you having a mixture of high resolution areas and normal ones. I have not tested it though.

@Weigo

In many of the BG1 (interior) areas there's a bug where closed door tiles are of a slightly different color than the surrounding tiles. You can see examples of this bug in the first basement of Durlag's Tower but it's quite widespread especially among secret doors. Do you know about this bug? Tagging  @Sam. as well since we had an ongoing DM about this.

3 hours ago, Galactygon said:

@Weigo

In many of the BG1 (interior) areas there's a bug where closed door tiles are of a slightly different color than the surrounding tiles. You can see examples of this bug in the first basement of Durlag's Tower but it's quite widespread especially among secret doors. Do you know about this bug? Tagging  @Sam. as well since we had an ongoing DM about this.

I modified my code a bit to give additional feedback (but haven't commit it) and ran it on oBG1, then wrote a script to total up the count of colors in individual tiles that got changed.  Here's the results:

Spoiler

[RGBA(12,10,12,0)] => 3660
[RGBA(12,10,4,0)] => 1
[RGBA(12,14,12,0)] => 11
[RGBA(12,2,4,0)] => 1
[RGBA(20,10,4,0)] => 1
[RGBA(20,14,12,0)] => 2
[RGBA(20,18,20,0)] => 2
[RGBA(20,2,4,0)] => 1
[RGBA(20,26,36,0)] => 2
[RGBA(28,10,12,0)] => 1
[RGBA(36,10,12,0)] => 2
[RGBA(4,10,4,0)] => 1
[RGBA(4,2,4,0)] => 60004
[RGBA(4,3,4,0)] => 14
[RGBA(4,6,4,0)] => 1098
[RGBA(41,33,28,0)] => 1
[RGBA(44,10,16,0)] => 2
[RGBA(5,2,4,0)] => 9
[RGBA(5,3,4,0)] => 8
[RGBA(5,3,5,0)] => 1
[RGBA(5,4,4,0)] => 1
[RGBA(52,38,20,0)] => 1
[RGBA(6,2,4,0)] => 6
[RGBA(6,3,4,0)] => 9
[RGBA(7,2,4,0)] => 2
[RGBA(7,3,4,0)] => 2
[RGBA(8,2,4,0)] => 2
[RGBA(9,4,4,0)] => 1

It does miss some tiles, as evidenced by the first area (AR0002), and I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few false positives, but this gives you an idea of the scope...  The issue persists in the EEs, but isn't directly accessible there.

Edited by Sam.

@Salk,

I tried it on a BGT-only installation, without any other mod, and it worked. According to your debug file, the problem is with the installation of the water textures files. Try the macros.tpa in the attachment, there I modified the installation.

@Galactycon @Sam

Unfortunately, I haven't heard of this problem yet. I would first have to familiarize myself with it. But I would like to finish the BGGO to the extent that it was until now and then we can look further.

macros.tpa

@Weigo,

The installation has completed without any issue this time. May I ask what it is you changed?

There was not much installed when I did my testing. Not much more other than ToBEx (AfterLife) and the BG2 Fixpack.

(e) I see you commented out a good chunk of code in the macros.tpa file... Wasn't the content important? This is the code snippet that makes my installation choke:

ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~bgt tutu_totsc~ BEGIN
        LAF HANDLE_TILECONV
            STR_VAR
                input_path    = EVAL ~%MOD_FOLDER%/base/tbcN/ys/%ee%~
                output_path      = ~%MOD_FOLDER%/bif/bggom~
        END
END

changing it to this:

ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~bgt tutu_totsc~ BEGIN
        LAF HANDLE_TILECONV
            STR_VAR
                input_path    = EVAL ~%MOD_FOLDER%/base/tbcN/ys/%ee%~
                output_path      = EVAL ~%MOD_FOLDER%/bif/bggom~
        END
END

works.

Edited by Salk

@Salk

you have found the correct code section. These lines are for installing the water textures that serve as an overlay to animate the large area maps.
I had the same problems with the EE variant, so I removed the tbc compression, which requires the tileconv. The uncompressed tis files are only a few hundred kb in size and should therefore not be a problem.

But I still have a small bug in the code, the % around the ee directory is too much. Could you test an installation again?

//	ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~eet bgee~ BEGIN
		ACTION_BASH_FOR ~%MOD_FOLDER%/base/tbcN/ys/ee~ ~^.+\.tis$~ BEGIN
			ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~%BASH_FOR_FILE%~ BEGIN
				COPY + ~%MOD_FOLDER%/base/tbcN/ys/ee/%BASH_FOR_FILE%~ ~override~
			END
		END
//	END

The bam files also always caused problems with biffing during the EE installation, so I have them copied into the override. For this reason I have omitted the biffing for all as a precaution.

ACTION_BASH_FOR ~%MOD_FOLDER%/base/bam~ ~^.+\.bam$~ BEGIN
		//ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~%BASH_FOR_FILE%~ BEGIN
//			ACTION_IF !GAME_IS ~eet~ BEGIN
//				COPY + ~%MOD_FOLDER%/base/bam/%BASH_FOR_FILE%~ ~%MOD_FOLDER%/bif/bggom~
//			END ELSE BEGIN
				COPY + ~%MOD_FOLDER%/base/bam/%BASH_FOR_FILE%~ ~override~
//			END
		//END
	END

As I mentioned, I can install Beta3 without problems by just adding EVAL in the code snippet above. I am of course wondering how it is possible that the missing EVAL does cause a problem for me and not for you and others, but those are mysteries I am not able to solve... 😁

I replaced the code snippets in the macro.tpa with those two above and the installation went through without issues. I attached the macros.tpa file that I have used for this last installation test.

Of course I have no idea how this translates into the game itself. I have only tested the installation itself.

macros.tpa

Edited by Salk