Baldurs Gate Graphical Overhaul BGGO for EET, BGT (Tutu, BGEE)

@Weigo,

On 7/13/2023 at 5:13 PM, Weigo said:

The situation is different for the two wed files. AR3700.wed and AR4100.wed, they are completely overwritten and there is no night version of them. There you would have to write a weidu code.

one question: I have taken a look at BGGO's base/wedD/non-ee folder and I don't actually see there the corresponding files: BG4800.wed (Nashkell) and BG5100.wed (Gnoll Stronghold), if I am correct? Doesn't this mean that BGGO does not change the original .wed files for those two areas? If that is the case, why would Jarl's overwriting the original .wed files be a compatibility problem?

Thanks!

Edited by Salk
5 hours ago, Salk said:

one question: I have taken a look at BGGO's base/wedD/non-ee folder and I don't actually see there the corresponding files: BG4800.wed (Nashkell) and BG5100.wed (Gnoll Stronghold), if I am correct? Doesn't this mean that BGGO does not change the original .wed files for those two areas? If that is the case, why would Jarl's overwriting the original .wed files be a compatibility problem?

You are right, for the non-EE version there are no day wed files. The day wed files are no problem, but for the night wed files.

The changes must always be made for day and for night with BGGO.

Regards

Weigo

Okay, thanks.

I tried to compare BGT's original AR3700.WED and AR4100.WED to Jarl's modified versions using Near Infinity. I noticed that the original AR3700.WED file has a total of 733 wall polygons vs 761 found in the modified version. The original AR4100 has the same number of wall polygons but the vertices offset is 10286 h vs 10292 h. There are then differences between the original and the modified versions of course but I cannot really understand what those differences are. Would it be of any interest for BGGO to use Jarl's modified .WED files as source for the night .WED? I have no idea what he changed but probably he had some reasons for what he did?

One more question, if I may: what can happen to someone who installs Jarl's area fixes and then BGGO afterwards (or vice versa)?

Cheers! :beer:

Edited by Salk
On 7/16/2023 at 3:58 PM, Salk said:

The original AR4100 has the same number of wall polygons but the vertices offset is 10286 h vs 10292 h. There are then differences between the original and the modified versions of course but I cannot really understand what those differences are.

This is a bit more complicated. The polygons are there to simulate different states of wall, tress ...
The different flags are from iesdp

Indicates whether this polygon is a polygon or a hole (i.e. whether it is a section of impassability, or one of passability). The default behaviour is that wall shades animations from both sides.

bit 0 : Shade wall
bit 1 : Hovering.
bit 2 : Cover animations
bit 3 : Cover animations
bit 4 : Unknown
bit 5 : Unknown
bit 6 : Unknown
bit 7 : Door?

AR3700 New wall polygons are hiding here somewhere. You just have to find them.

The function of the wed file is a bit more complex. The polygons are placed in the wall groups, which are sections of the map of 10 x 7.5 tiles. There all polygons are simply counted and listed with an index table.

The index table again tells at which index number it starts and how many polygons there are.
Then the engine knows, by the wall polygon index table, that is a second table, in which just every single polygon is assigned to its arbitrary numbering. And it can happen that a polygon goes over 2 wall groups or even at the corner over four wall groups and thus some polygons appear 2 or 4 times in the wall polygon index table.
(AR4100: wall polygon index 143: 384 and wall polygon index 68: 384)

Example: AR4100
wallgroup15: 189, 14 (start at number 189 and there are 14 polygons).

wall polygon index 189: 54
wall polygon index 190: 55
wall polygon index 191: 56
wall polygon index 192: 57
wall polygon index 193: 58
wall polygon index 194: 59
wall polygon index 202: 334

wall polygon 54: vertices and flags
wall polygon 55: vertices and flags
wall polygon 56: vertices and flags
wall polygon 57: vertices and flags
wall polygon 58: vertices and flags
wall polygon 59: vertices and flags
wall polygon 334: vertices and flags

I hope I could help a little bit, but unfortunately this is a bit complicated to explain.

Edited by Weigo

Thank you very much for explaining to me what .WED files do and how they work.

I admit that it's not easy for me to grasp the whole concept, but I have some good indications now. You said that the polygons' function is to change the state of some objects on the map like trees and walls. Is it, for example, the case for when a door is open or closed on the map?

Could you tell us what kind of issues could happen if a player installs the two .WED files from Jarl's modification (AR3700 and AR4100) and then installs BG GO?

Cheers!

Now I can only help you from memory, as I am now on vacation. 
The wall polygons in AR4100 determine whether the character stands in front of or behind the wall (is displayed transparently or not). One would have to investigate.
Also the open and closed doors are in the wed file 2 times inside. 1. which tis tiles belong to the door (open door) 2. in the overlay0 is the secondary tile (closed) at the corresponding tile

It depends on what was changed.
In principle, you have only the contents of one or the other mod. Unfortunately, there is almost nothing for wed files such as the fj_are_struct. More we can discuss after the vacation 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Now I have to give a little update on how far the mod has progressed.
After Yovaneth and I have decided all areas also from BG2/ToB and SoD to give a night map, it still takes some time.
At the moment we are at a quarter of the areas. And the areas are getting great. The art work of Yovaneth is outstanding. That's why I want to share with you a picture ahead of time, I think it's incredibly awesome.

AR1500_bggo.thumb.jpg.1c27df2c9ae59338d080e44a2f4c336e.jpgAR1500_orig.thumb.jpg.6f23c0754231fc3ae417f6f2f8363189.jpg

It's a lot of handwork to get the areas into the extended night version, so it's going to take weeks to get everything done.
At the same time, I'm in the process of making the mod more open, so that compatibility and extensibility will be easier.