Baldurs Gate Graphical Overhaul BGGO for EET, BGT (Tutu, BGEE)

if you look at the original nashkel mines entrance, you'll see that the textures are normal. however, if you look at the same spot on bgee, you'll notice actual large pixel blocks. specifically, look at the ground near the mining lift wheel, and some of ground near the tree. it's actually blocks of pixels. if you're looking to enhance the textures, you may want to look at the originals instead of whatever happened to the EEs. i'll admit, it could be specific to my computer during the installation of eet. can anyone else take a look?

original.png

Edited by squiros
maybe specific to my computer
3 hours ago, squiros said:

if you look at the original nashkel mines entrance, you'll see that the textures are normal. however, if you look at the same spot on bgee, you'll notice actual large pixel blocks. specifically, look at the ground near the mining lift wheel, and some of ground near the tree. it's actually blocks of pixels.

This is caused by the texture format used in EE games to store map background graphics. It may introduce compression artifacts under specific conditions (e.g. at huge or very low contrasts between pixels). It may be possible to optimize compression to make it less noticeable, but it isn't possible to prevent it completely.

This is a magnified version to see the differences:

Spoiler

bg_compare.thumb.jpg.5f4660bbcfbee93efbf1a05eb941712e.jpg

Oof. That looks like a scrambled map of BST area?

@Weigo could this be one of these cases where the pvrz leave out the 2nd and 3rd letter of the area name (I think it was), overwriting other area graphics? BST uses a function so it doesn't overwrite area graphics of other areas (including mod added), so I hope it's not BST's fault.

@guardian.gorion there is a small description on the GitHub page:

This mod is probably the biggest visual overhaul of the game since it was released. It reinstates the extended night areas that are missing from all main areas except Baldur's Gate. Now, when you open doors at night they show light from inside the building. Buildings actually have windows that are lit up.