Flirt suggestions

JPS

Guest Rodent of Unusual Size

Yes, let's bury poor modgods by hugging them en masse :rolleyes:

Like I said, I'm looking forward to the mod. I just hope that this flirting will be a little less... uh, explicit than with for instance the Kelsey mod. Some people could do without the 10+ lines of sexual descriptions and not because of their tender souls (straining laughter-muscles is more likely :D)

Some people do like them though. I myself am pretty neutral to it all. If done well it could go really well either way. I wouldn't be dispointed if some things like that were brought in, but at the same time I can see how sometimes it's best left to the player's imagination. Truthfully though I see Haer'Dalis as more sexual than other characters. *shrug* I guess it all depends on what JPS has in store for us! :rolleyes: By the way, I'm really getting excited! Oh, and when do we get to preview some of your written art JPS?

As you may have noticed, I'm very good at predicting when I will be finished with something, so the only thing I can offer at the moment is 'soon'. If that doesn't work out, I'll try 'when I'm done' next time :D

The level of explicitness of the flirts (and of the romance in general) will be as high as needed for them to convey the information that's... no, wait. That was turning into one seriously messed up sentence. Let's try that again.

All the parts of the romance, including the flirts, are supposed to convey information, and will be written in the way I think works best for that particular piece of information (this isn't a great sentence either, but it'll have to do). In some cases it will be necessary to be more explicit, but it will always be because the story demands it.

That doesn't mean that it it will always be great and that everybody will like it, of course, but I'm sure that my worst mistakes will be found and dealt with before the release. :rolleyes:

hm, now: I do see Haer' as one of the most sensual characters in Soa and considering Kelsey, Anomen ... include some explicit lines, it would be highly inapropriate if Haer' romance didn't.

And as well, I never thought of him to be a very romantic - doomguard and so on...

Considerig that I see why it takes so long for JPS :rolleyes:

However: preety please do it soon (at least before the next exam periode

hm, now: I do see Haer' as one of the most sensual characters in Soa and considering Kelsey, Anomen ... include some explicit lines, it would be highly inapropriate if Haer' romance didn't.

And as well, I never thought of him to be a very romantic  - doomguard and so on...

Oh, I think he can be romantic - besides that he is a doomgard he also is a bard so he knows pretty words I guess :D

And yes - I am for the more explict lines :rolleyes:

Quite honestly, I don't think the level of sensuality should be altered to suit the general public. Go as descriptive as you feel it needs to be. Don't censor artistic expression, be it painting or making an NPC flirt!

Blah!

Yeah, and no matter that I am 17 and my younger brother who plays BG2 is 13...we want some real lovin' from HD :rolleyes:

Just make sure if this is done to put a warning in the readme, that way people can't say they didn't know about it beforehand. I'd actually like some explicit content, but like I said before it's all up to JPS.

Yes, I know the Kelsey and Anomen romances are quite, let's say expressive... but at least with the original Bioware romances you are not forced to enter multi-lined vivid descriptions of things you may do in RL on a good day, but not while you're playing a pixely but epic fantasygame.

It sort of contrasts with the game's look and feel IMO. I always thought the Bioguys made a good mix of romance and game storyline-- except for making the capital mistake of only leaving that windbag Anomen for female characters...

I take it then that you guys have never played the old text-only games on you C64? :D

Actually since the games graphic output is so limited I feel it's even nice to have at least text to fill it in. If it were some latest state of art 3D interactive thingy you might expect you video card to do the trick, but it its not. And I kinda prefer it that way. :rolleyes:

For my part I always found the bioware romances somewhat... "only half there". As you options and the information give were quite limited and everything was depending on the NPC initiative.

Thanks to the modding gods that's now all in the past.

Yes, I know the Kelsey and Anomen romances are quite, let's say expressive... but at least with the original Bioware romances you are not forced to enter multi-lined vivid descriptions of things you may do in RL on a good day, but not while you're playing a pixely but epic fantasygame.

Er... surely, flirts being an optional component, and having a powerful option of pressing 'continue' button without reading offending texts... I myself do prefer imaginative conversational/courting flirts as opposite to the anatomically correct descriptions of the pixelized bums, technical details of how 'he' does it etc, but I do not believe anybody is forced into anything...

QED.

I rest my case...

etcetera.

I could do without such associations. :rolleyes: Having vivid imagination has its downsides...

Suits me fine if things are a possibility, scares me away if it is a mandatory romance part. Call me silly, but I like my imagination as it is, without people stating that my character's lover licks the "V of her breasts" (quote from the Kelsey mod) without even checking if the poor girl wants that or has an Alp-sized cleavage... that's what caused me to stop playing the mod (although it was very good for making me laugh).

I've never played the Kelsey romance, and I probably wouldn't use it as an example of anything even if I had, but I'm making an effort to avoid preassumptions about the main character. In the standard lovetalks, this basically means that I'm trying to provide a wide range of replies (if Haer'Dalis makes a joke, I'm not assuming that all characters will think it's funny, and so on).

When it comes to the flirts, I'm trying to do the same thing when it's reasonable. If Haer'Dalis tries to kiss <CHARNAME>, for example, the possible reactions might include "let him kiss you", "push him away", "kiss him before he has time to kiss you", "punch him" and "steal his trousers while he's distracted" (alright, maybe not the last one).

And in all of these cases, I'm trying to avoid describing why <Charname> does this or how it makes her feel, because I think that should be left to the player whenever possible (sometimes it's turned out to be necessary to imply some kind of feeling, because not doing it makes it look like <Charnme> is closing her eyes and hoping that it will all be over soon, and that tends to feel 'slightly creepy' rather than 'romantic' :D )

Not all of the flirts will be interactive, of course; some of them are just supposed to be quick and spontaneous displays of affection (or signs that the romance isn't broken if it takes a while for the next lovetalk to show up, if you prefer), and in those cases I've decided to assume that <Charname> is generally positive about this whole romance thing, just bacause it makes things a whole lot easier. And even then I go for "Haer'Dalis' hand feels warm and soft against your skin" rather than "you feel all warm and fuzzy inside when Haer'Dalis touches you".

This is applicble on what <Charname> looks like and how she behaves physically as well. In some cases, the PC's stats might determine what happens – Haer'Dalis might carry a halfling or an elf over the treshold, but a half-orc with a high strength score will probably carry him instead – but in most situations I'm trying to write in a way that doesn't assume that she's a certain height, or that her hair's a certain colour, or that she has a visible cleavage (I finally decided that it's safe to assume that <CHARNAME> isn't bald, so I'm having Haer'Dalis mention her hair at one point. If somebody is playing a bald character, I apologize).

I don't know if this answers any questions, but it might at least make someone play a bald half-orc character, and that's good enough for me :rolleyes:

Archived