Items re-allocation

Demivrgvs

Suggestion about item placement for BGT/BG1TuTuDo you think that Berserker's Sword is really appropriate for this guard from Nashkel? He seems to become rather evil than just being berserker. It's also a bit stupid that character who's wielding Berserker's Sword isn't so bad. What about granting to him instead Helm of Opposite Alignment (or even better something which turns character into Chaotic Evil).
Yes, it's appropriate for him and he isn't just a guard, he was an officer, guard captain or something. It's also mentioned few times that he just started killing people, including his own family, just after getting a new sword. And he didn't become evil, he just started uncontrollably killing people near him and was afterwards really sorry and depressed because of it.
Then we have a winner I guess. How many times a weapon allocation was so much tied to his wielder's background in vanilla's BG?

Well, taking it from mechanical point when you're wielding this sword you're not starting to kill everyone. ^^.
Don't be so nit-picking. ;) The sword's berserking effect can lead the wielder to harm party members too during a battle, and you may just think that on a weaker mind it has a worse effect, or that because of the mental breakdown that guy went crazy.
Well, taking it from mechanical point when you're wielding this sword you're not starting to kill everyone. ^^.

Equipped Abilities:
Berserking: the wielder goes berserk and totally out of control whenever a fight takes place

Sure you do. He started sparring with his guard buddies, and then slaughtered them all...

I do believe he also killed his family/wife, and that probably went like:

- Hi honey, I just lost my job today.

- W00t? Why?

- I kinda killed all my colleagues. But no worries, I'll work as a gutter cleaner or something.

- OMG WTF BBQ, we'll never afford to buy me that fancy dress now!

*throws pottery @ (former) Captain Brage*

- Let's not get into a fight...

*throws the kitchen sink*

- ;)

Ardanis,

Can you tell me where you have move :

Orc leather +3

Roranach's Horn

I have built a little mod and I wonder about give at least one of these items to Tazok. (witch is a barbarian half ogre in my mod). If your component is installed, I would like to remove the item from your allocation.

ty

I know you are some ways off from a reallocation of BGI items, but as I play through there are a few observations I've made that I would submit as suggestions for the future.

Varscona +2: Currently with Greywolf the bounty hunter (lvl 7). The most powerful longsword in the game should not be found in an incidental encounter right outside the Nashkel Mines. While him having the weapon can make the encounter a challenge for a low level party, but this will likely just end in a random death or two or some kiting or the like.

I would suggest giving either giving it to Garadush, one of the five Iron Throne Acolytes (normally wields a mundane longsword), or to Raemon one of the guards in Tazok's tent. While this would be adding another powerful magic weapon to each encounter I feel it would be warranted considering the encounter difficulty and placement, as well as for the extra challenge the weapon brings. Greywolf could be given a +1 weapon of a class not commonly encountered.

Backbiter +3: I have no real problem with this item's placement, but as there are no enchanted spears in BG (asfaik) it wouldn't hurt to replace this one with a more useful one, or add a spear elsewhere.

Cloak of the Wolf: Currently in Alaric's Treasure Trove, which is okay I guess. Certainly there should be a powerful magic item in the trove, but I can think of no thematic reason for it to be this cloak. Furthermore this can be picked up fairly early and the Werewolf form is IMO too strong for early portions of BGI. I would recommend moving it to Balduran's Isle and replacing it with another item, possibly Water's Edge (currently in a container atop Durlag's Tower).

Gauntlets of Ogre Strength: Currently in the possession of one of the weirdos in the Low Lantern, and only procured by an unusual dialogue choice (low WIS and CN AL, if roleplaying I'd think). Recently I was reading about the Chill and Black Talons in the FR supplement Gold and Glory, and noticed that Ardenor Crush is noted as having a pair of these guantlets. As is he is outfitted as any other hobgoblin (as well as being three levels too low) this is pretty pathetic for a leader of a mercenary band. I'd say give him the gauntlets and perhaps some decent chain, splint or studded armor. Playing SCS I don't actually stick around to fight the whole camp (not that pro) and elect to execute a fighting retreat, but if someone were to stick around and fight it out I'd say they deserve em.

That's all I've got for now. Merry Christmas everyone!

Varscona +2: Currently with Greywolf the bounty hunter (lvl 7). The most powerful longsword in the game should not be found in an incidental encounter right outside the Nashkel Mines. While him having the weapon can make the encounter a challenge for a low level party, but this will likely just end in a random death or two or some kiting or the like.

But currently Varscona is the best and only one explanation for a fact that Greywolf is good at his job. He needs some tool of trades. You're right about fact that he can be kited, still, every single character can be. Drizzit without his boots would be so, so, so lame. :)

Gauntlets of Ogre Strength: Currently in the possession of one of the weirdos in the Low Lantern, and only procured by an unusual dialogue choice (low WIS and CN AL, if roleplaying I'd think). Recently I was reading about the Chill and Black Talons in the FR supplement Gold and Glory, and noticed that Ardenor Crush is noted as having a pair of these guantlets. As is he is outfitted as any other hobgoblin (as well as being three levels too low) this is pretty pathetic for a leader of a mercenary band. I'd say give him the gauntlets and perhaps some decent chain, splint or studded armor. Playing SCS I don't actually stick around to fight the whole camp (not that pro) and elect to execute a fighting retreat, but if someone were to stick around and fight it out I'd say they deserve em.

Ardenor Crush's fans gonna love you. Well, moving those isn't a bad idea at all. I didn't remember fact that these were existing in BG1.

But currently Varscona is the best and only one explanation for a fact that Greywolf is good at his job. He needs some tool of trades. You're right about fact that he can be kited, still, every single character can be. Drizzit without his boots would be so, so, so lame. :)

That is true, however when I tried giving him a scimitar +1, a small shield +1, and took him on with SCS potion behavior on I found him to still be an adequate challenge. He's a 7th level fighter, and along with a ranged weapon I think he'd still be able to accomplish what he is reputed to in game - wiping out bandit groups and wasting foppish artists. I like making him tough too, but I think the reward outstrips the challenge here. Perhaps if he had backup a +2 weapon would be more warranted (outside of IR, but I would move the wardogs from the mine shack and make them Greywolf's) but then this would simply be an exercise in frustration for the level 1-3 parties that typically reach this point.

Ardanis, is it possible to have a complete list similar to the one I've posted at the beginning of this topic but more up to date? I'm currently checking the last few things (soon I'll start updating the on line references, which will take an absurd amount of time) and I'd like this topic to be updated too if possible.

I also need it too for a couple of items, because for example I don't remember where Heartseeker +3 and Mana Bow +4 ended up. The former is currently quite more powerful than before (+3 to attack rolls, and 10% chance to kill on hit as a sort of lesser vorpal effect - as per PnP) and I need to know where it is found to balance it if necessary.

I guess you mean a HTML? I have it about half-finished, gonna take an evening to complete.
Even something relatively simple like the list in the first post of this topic. ???

Heartseeker is guarded by Windspear golems, as in vanilla. Ribald's copy of it is replaced with Mana Bow.
Good, as I thought.
Seems no. Are they needed?

Actually, I know that some mod and tweaks which imports some items from BG1 to BG2 already existed.

But these are not so reasonable because these imported duplicated items what exist both BG1 and BG2 (such as Shadow Armor).

The items only exist in BG1 has its unique characteristics, (You changed Dragon Helm in IRv3 because its feature is overlapped with Kiel's Helmet, didn't you?) so these should be imported to BG2 in the early game, I think.

BG1 items in BG2 should always be found in a location where they could plausibly have ended up--with the most likely sequence being that

1) You go adventuring in the Sword Coast and find Cool Stuff.

2) After you beat BG1, you get kidnapped by Irenicus & the Shadow Thieves.

3) Cool Stuff gets shared relatively equally between the Shadow Thieves and Irenicus & his cronies/minions.

4) Some of that Cool Stuff then gets sold / traded / gambled / lost to other people.

So, finding Varscona on sale in Ribald's store? Perfectly fine. Finding the Gauntlets of Ogre Power sealed away inside the Planar Sphere? Hella NOT fine. Finding the Ring of Fire Resistance in the Windspear Hills? Unlikely, but as Lord Jierdan is known to have made the trip, he could plausibly have purchased the ring from Ribald, with the intention of loaning it to his Transmuter. Etc.

As for Kiel's items, the Shadow Thieves would definitely have picked the Buckler as part of their share of the booty, and putting the Morningstar in the opening dungeon is both plausible (the Duergar might have welcomed a chance to sully a relic prized by their lighter-skinned cousins) and interesting (how often do gamers consider intentionally equipping a cursed item?).

Archived