IA v6 Final

well...after almost 2 years I got IA6 on my computer. At BWL I was registered as Kerkes. Due to the fact that BWL started charging for logging in to their site with "gold" and "premium" membership offers, I gave up on ever playing IA6. I honestly considered even paying the damn 30 bucks so I could have my version of it...but, it leaked. Obviously, it's the final version, not some beta (regardless of what Sikret says about it, it IS the final version with no huge game-breaking bugs). For a guy that uses "the truth, I only want you to know the truth.." line as his signature that's quite a low blow.

But regardless, this is not about Sikret or BWL, just some lines I have bout IA6.

First of all, it's not much like IA5. You get dispelled much more often, enemies are even more buffed up, have really funky immunities (Suna Seni party is untouchable by silence for example...), some early battles are OMGWTFISTHIS hard etc.

But it is fun....in a strange kind of way (masochistic).

Anyway- i started (as we all do.... :) ) a multiplayer game - party necro prot, swashbuckler, berskerker, berserker-cleric, sorc. Picked up Valy, dropped B-cleric and sorc and than took Cernd. So, no cleric and no sorc for me, 5 person party which (i hope) will achieve success due to high AC class (....) and the fact necro prot can get really powerful..we'll see. I tweaked my game a bit, however - exp gain is vanilla (traps, locks), lvl gain is vanilla (copied file from bgtweaks for exp levels) and some other minor tweaks. Cheating? Hell yea. Its still very hard, and some battles are just impossible without some luck with saving throws..ah well. Emotion still rules.

I'm thinking about a new game with new party but we'll see. I kinda like these guys.

A bit early to say, but - if I had payed 30USD for this, I'd regret it. Even 5 is 2much - I'd rather give them to Unicef or something. IA5 was more fun, more roleplaying and simply better to spend time with. This is like one big anti-cheat Sikret vs Saros experiment gone awfully wrong. It has its moments, new items and spells are cool, new enemies also- but some more liberty in party composition choices (if you want a bard, u screwed for example. Pure druid? Illusionist? F/m/t? lol.)and some more options about which quests to do at what order would also be good. Overall, I'd rate it 3 /10. Fun for a while, 2hard for average player who has a real life and doesnt want to play Torgal battle 20+times, some nice ideas, some poor execution. too biased towards necros and (taaaa-daaaam) rangers etc. Imo, the last Anvil we'll live to see. One would expect more after 4 years development, but all that time has apperently gone on Anti Saros devices...Damn u, Saros :) .

Hi, Kerkes!

Glad to see you after all this time, only wished for the occasion to be something better than the utter disappointment which is called IA 6.0.

With that multiplayer party of yours, you don't really need the xp-cap remover. Your sorc and necro will be powerful enough at lvl 36, and the other will hit lvl 40, so no need to cheat there. I am not absolutely positive, but I think that you can import a 40/40/40 lvl f/m/t if you have one from v5.0 for example, under running IA 6.0 xp cap, and you won't be autokilled for it. Of course, this powerful character will spoil the starting fights, making them too easy.

If you want not to cheat and still get a large amount of early-game experience and gold, write me a PM, and send me your e-mail. I will write you about an early-game exploit that provides you with unlimited supply of both, at the cost of 20-25 game hours doing one and the same thing. Still, it's important to note that you will have to use the xp gain to up, let's say, 1700000 when you'll have to do some other quests in order to obtain +3 weapons and other items, and with those to complete the Screaming Statue challenge before hitting 2 350 000 xp. Then you can continue with the exploit to the xp cap, if you like.

I personally picked Valygar because of his innate items. Don't repeat my mistake. He sure may be good without xp exploits, but he's very fragile once you reach the 'high-level' game. His astounding AC does absolutely no difference in those fights, when you desire above all for fighters to be more resistant to physical damage. He cannot use the FoDaW because you can't forge it in a non-ranger protagonist party. His items are the only good thing left, but frankly - they're not THAT good. Racial combat is good, okay, still not that awesome. In short - get a dualwielder that is more damage resistant, a Barbarian for example.

A Riskbreaker is very powerful, while a swashie is not. A polearm berserker is splendid too, since he'll get grand mastery in those weapons. A R-C is invaluable, or you may get Cernd, but I still prefer R-C - he's all-in-one character, better than 10 Cernds. An early-game sorcerer is essential. You can't wait for Imoen.

BTW, if you'd resort to any cheating, I'd start with the items which had their immunity to silence removed - the Amulet of Power and the Amulet of Master Harper. However, with a Necro-protagonist party, this is useless, since you'll get the Amulet of Hades soon enough. IMO, cheating is unnecessary, simply take advantage of the leftover bugs and exploits, and there are plenty of those, believe me :D

I myself lost interest of the mod when entering chapter 6. Also, I have much more important things to do right now. When I have several months to spend on IA 6.0, I might continue testing it or I'd rather pick something more interesting, like going through BG1 with the latest SCS mod :)

I suggest playing normally, that is without exploits. It's much a more enjoyable experience IMO. Plus spending 20-25 hours exploiting is probably insanely boring. The only kind of 'cheats' I use is altering the game slightly with NI, making FoDaW forgeable for non-ranger PC character like it was in v5 (I still pay the hefty price and collect all the items). I also revert some stores back that Sikret deemed unreasonable to what they were in vanilla and v5. I see nothing unreasonable with a few better stores that are available only later in the game.

Valygar is actually very good. His vulnerability is probably made up for by FoDaW though and his katana is like a fairly decent regeneration (2 hps per hit, 20% additional 10 hps, that means about 20 hps per round if he hits 5 times per round with it). He also got his munchkin armor. One of the best things about him is his new 3rd level spell Mental Equilibrium which is INSANELY good for its level. It has a casting time of 1, range of caster, heals just about every helplessness, confusion and dominate effect that I've encountered.

Also, words can't describe the power of a Riskbreaker. I'm not complaining.

Most recently I fought the Supreme Githyanki leader in WK, it has had a significant buff since v5. And do you know what the most dangerous enemies in that fight are? Stone Golems. Yes. Stone Golems. I don't remember them being this dangerous in v5 of that fight, maybe my memory is failing me.

Actually, stone golems are quite dangerous even in IA 5. Pretty competent damage dealers under haste effect.

No, their damage is rather pathetic compared to the new golems. However their mass slow effect is a killer in this fairly long fight which means that Free Action is going to be more of a burden than help since it has a longer duration than Improved Haste.

Actually, stone golems are quite dangerous even in IA 5. Pretty competent damage dealers under haste effect.

No, their damage is rather pathetic compared to the new golems. However their mass slow effect is a killer in this fairly long fight which means that Free Action is going to be more of a burden than help since it has a longer duration than Improved Haste.

There are ways around that. Use Freedom scrolls or the Improved Cat Figurine. With the right timing, both items can be atuned to the Improved Haste duration, so that they expire at the same time (or close enough).

Haven't fought that many IA 6.0 improved Stone golems, but doesn't their Slow allow save (although at a greater penalty than the usual effect)?

Haven't fought that many IA 6.0 improved Stone golems, but doesn't their Slow allow save (although at a greater penalty than the usual effect)?

Nope, no save. At least non in mentioned battle. I've already won the battle btw, used Crom Fayer to insta kill the Stone Golems (they spawn once every 2 rounds).

EDIT: Actually there might have been a save against the slow, but I don't think so, I did the battle over a month ago so not sure IIRC. Took a little brake from IA, thinking about continuing with the game soon.

2n Edit: OK so I started up BG2 to do some testing. I think my memory was failing me here because FA from Improved Cat Figurine lasts shorter than Imp. Haste. I am fairly sure I used Imp. Cat Fig. at the beginning of the battle. It's probably cast at CL 10 so it would last 20 rounds. Either way it doesn't last long enough for you to kill the Gith who summons the Stone Golems and if you get 2xSlow on your entire party you are dead for certain. Oh and you're in for a nasty surprise when you kill him.

True. What I meant was that they killed my unprotected mages (debuffed by supreme leader) a couple of times, slowing them first, yes.

started a new game, without cheats.. Vagrant prot, swashie, kensai, ranger dualed to cleric asap, 2x sorcerer.

right now i'm at lvl5WK, stuck in battle with Demon Prince (or Demon Lord, i need his blood anyway to forge JD sword).

So far, so good anyway:

Vagrant protagonist - still powerful. Swanmays are awsome, and Swanmay Queen is....LOL- she can solo like a 23lvl fighter if not better. I still think Necro protag is better - RVE is sick, and it's all u need at 9th lvl apart from 2xalcatry. If u don't know what RVE is, think of it like Wish on steroids.

Swashbuckler- aaaah. One of my favorite vanilla kits, without doubt. Powerful....not quite. He has his moments, has its uses - but no. His AC is really good.He survives even when surrounded by 10+ golems without much trouble. His problem is - low apr - meaning - low dmg output. Battles in IA aren't about surviving, they're about killing as fast as possible - and swashes are no good at it.

Second, he sucks early game. Ilbratha mirror images get dispeled on hit by a golem, add 2 more hits and say bye bye to swashie. He also sucks late game, since enemies bash his AC quite fast (this is IA, everyone is under undispelable imp.haste). His armor is good, but not good enough.

Third, with mages now casting Breach on fighters, his Hardiness (he can pick it 3 times as HLA) does not last long. And with it gone.....adios.

I'd say he shines in mid difficulty battles, sucks in magic intense battles (underdark Demon Knights) and boss monsters (Dracolich, Kruin and Supreme Leader come as example) literally eat him.

Even worse than all above, he is a thief. Meaning, he's not in IA's grace. Most powerful equipment is for pure warriors, which he is not. RIP swashie..

Kensai - very good. He hits, and he hits hard. No armor means some battles are harder than usual (like Rune asassins battles), but still- he is at his best where he is needed the most. 2handed wpns ofc.

rang-cleric - the best healer/tank in game. Super useful, but when he hits 20+lvls, all u'll be casting are GR and an occasional protection fire/cold/evil spell. and Ironskins, ofc.

sorcerer - one is a must, 2 even better. In IA6, summons are a must. LOT of summons (reminds me of HoF mode in Icewind Dale anyway...). In fact, if u dont know how to win a battle, it's very likely u don't summon enough. Strange, but true . Have 4 summoned monsters at all times (5 is limit, but Wish genie counts as 1 :) ) and u'll do fine.

As for battles/challenges:

I had not fought Orcus or Yaga yet (not Secret of Sldanesselar) however these were the hardest for me:

Supreme Leader - I regreted not having Valygar instead of swash. Very, very difficult.

Spellhold crystal guardians - remember what I said bout summons. summon, or die

DracoLich - Greater Doom, lvl drain, insta kill on summons, Wail...swash dies. Always.

Demon Knights in Underdark - if u can get swashie survive here u deserve a gold medal

I started another game with Necro, Valy, Riskbreaker, Cernd and Sorc, and from what I can tell Riskbreaker is (just like a sorcerer) a must.

I would have thought that with whirlwind and hardiness the swashbuckler would have done okay lategame. Is it a problem of a lack of proficiency points which mean that they cannot specialize in the big weapons? I'd think longswords and clubs would be okayish for damage... never rally had problems in v5 with those on my FT.

I would have thought that with whirlwind and hardiness the swashbuckler would have done okay lategame. Is it a problem of a lack of proficiency points which mean that they cannot specialize in the big weapons? I'd think longswords and clubs would be okayish for damage... never rally had problems in v5 with those on my FT.

Whirlwind is ok, but critical strike is usually much better. Swash is ok with weapons, he doesn't need big wpns to be effective - he needs more attacks per round. He only gets 4 with imp.haste, 6 if u have Belm but thats only +2...and no Scarlett Ninja for them either. + You'll probably want that +3 (or +4)buckler early on - which means he gets 2 apr...not enough.

Well, I guess an F/T does benefit a bit more from the additional attacks.

I am not certain why you want to have a buckler on a thief since single weapon style is better and he should not be the first into combat anyway.

What about a Swashbuckler -> Fighter dual? Will you still be able to use the swashbuckler specific items? This type does sound like it may be an interesting choice. That or Swashbuckler->Cleric or Mage

Since UAI has been removed from a Swashbuckler's HLA table, a Swashie-Cleric is not a very good choice. Also, I am not 100% certain, but a swashie's special items can be used by single-classers only.

I currently am considering a Bounty Hunter-Fighter dual. And by testing it so far (very little, to be precise) this may actually be the best choice of a F/T combinations in IA 6.0 (with the experience exploit of course). Here are my thoughts why:

Has ranged Maze traps. Not sure if those are gonna be of ANY use, but will definitely test them.

Can attain Grand Mastery in any fighter weapon. (A F/T multi cannot)

Has more proficiency points than a regular Fighter. Judiciously spent, those can ensure grand mastery in one slashing, piercing and crushing polearm type, plus a point in two handed-weapon style (unfortunately for a dual-wielder grand mastery can be achieved in only 2 weapon types, provided one wants ** in two-weapon style).

Can achieve fighter level 33 after hitting first thief HLA and dualling, which will give him adequate quantity of fighter HLAs.

Can still use Jansen's adventurewear for that nifty 65% physical resistance, surpassing even a high-level Barbarian.

Well, this character still is very susceptible to level drain, and lacks Berserker or Barbarian rage, but one on one, he surpasses both fighter kits. And can use magical scrolls too.

Also, I am not 100% certain, but a swashie's special items can be used by single-classers only.

This.

Also, wouldn't an Assassin -> Fighter be better? He'd be evil (but that's not an issue for two-handed weapons) and have +1 to thac0 and damage (and have a x7 backstab multiplier, if your current weapon is useable by pureclass thieves and you can find a non-immune enemy). High level BH traps cast either Otiluk's Resilient Sphere or Maze (which I assume IA enemies are immune against), whereas lower level traps cast Hold and deal missile damage (which again IA enemies are immune against).

Maybe an Assassin (23) -Fighter (33) is indeed even better, provided that bounty hunter traps turn out to be obsolete. IA enemies are generally immune to traps and all their effects (damage), only exception was Time Trap, but now that's no longer available. A +1 THAC0 and damage bonus is always good to have. Backstab multiplier may be useful in some battles (vs spiders for example), although almost all other Anvil enemies are immune to it.

As a side note, Otiluluke's Resilient sphere in IA is replaced by Ray of Fragmentation, however not sure if this change affects the Bounty Hunter traps.

As a side note, Otiluluke's Resilient sphere in IA is replaced by Ray of Fragmentation, however not sure if this change affects the Bounty Hunter traps.

No, the trap casts a spell with the effects of ORS, not ORS itself. There's no save or magic resistance check allowed, but I don't know if it is blocked by some type of spell protection and/or specific immunity (in particular, it's classified as Abjuration, but it might still ignore SI:A).

Archived