Summoning Spells for V4

Demivrgvs

Demi Cast Resurrect Topic.

I'm finally working on Animal/Monster Summoning spells (trying to squeeze them into the next build) and thus I want to discuss a few things.

Animal Summoning spells
I think there was a general consensus regarding the selected cratures, especially because there are very few alternatives. The only real doubt is ASVII.

ASI: 1HD Rats (disease attack + immunity to disease; swarm-like behaviour)
ASII: 2HD War Dogs (can see invisible creatures and remove invisibility on hit - simulates Scent)
ASIII: 3HD Wolves (pack bonus + trip)
ASIV: 4HD Leopards (pounce + rake, aka bleeding dmg)
ASV: 5HD Giant Snakes (poison attack - immunity to a few things like Entangle and Grease)
ASVI: 6HD Cave Bears (grapple? animal rage when heavily injured?)
ASVII: more powerful bears?

The safe pick is Polar Bears but they are just like ASVI with slightly better stats, unless you think resistance to cold and/or immunity to Ice Storm can be acceptable (aren't they used to face a similar climate? :D ). Speaking of which, I found this PnP Ice Bear, but it's from Dragonlance, not Forgotton Realms.

For AS7 I'd go with panthers (leopards with stealth and backstab), if possible.

Also, all this wolf\war dog thing could be messy with SCS realistic wolves\dogs (that tend to be neutral upon creating and go hostile seemingly at random), unless those would be custom creatures, of course.

Grapple for bears (aka hold both on bear and on target creature, maybe with a DoT applied to latter as well) is nice, but only with creature sizes\immunities in mind. I.e., I doubt that a bear irl could grapple a lich or vampiric mist.

Though, those bears. Go figure.

I think most of them look fine, but I'm worry about thing that the number of summoned creatures are limited in game (I don't remember the exact number, maybe 6 or 7?). This limit would make ASI less useful than what we expect. Actually, the other AS spells also would be negatively affected by the restriction, because the AS spells are supposed to summon much more number but less powerful creatures comparing with Conjure Elementals. If the number is limited, the power of the spells will be getting worse and worse.

By the way, I'd like to suggest to use a resource pack mod like http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19501/resource-pack-extended-animations/p1, since it would be able to bring much more variety for creating the list of summoned creatures.

i like the ice bears .. or you could do safe bet polar bears with higher stats and yeah def give em cold based attack immunity.. since that is pretty much their home enviorment(i speak as someone who did arctic and sub arc tic sat comm for parks can for yrs. in places like churchill ont can with more polar bears than ppl.... .

as dfor dogs and woplves .. wouldnt realistic dogs/wolves from scs mess them up??

as dfor dogs and woplves .. wouldnt realistic dogs/wolves from scs mess them up??

No. SCS only edits DOGWI.CRE, DOGWA.CRE, and WOLF.CRE. The summoned versions are different CRE files: DOGWISU.CRE, DOGWASU.CRE, and WOLFSU.CRE.

ahh gotcha didnt know that .. nvrmd

I'm worry about thing that the number of summoned creatures are limited in game ... because the AS spells are supposed to summon much more number but less powerful creatures comparing with Conjure Elementals. If the number is limited, the power of the spells will be getting worse and worse.

I'm sympathetic to this but I'm also not really worried. The only AS spell that could have needed 5+ creatures is ASI, for all the other ones 2-4 creatures is more than enough imo. Keep in mind that now Druids will also have two very powerful mass buffs for them, Magic Fang and Animal Growth. Last but not least, if the spells will need a boost for high lvls we could make them work like vanilla Spider Spawn and summon Dire variants of those animals at level X.

Regarding ASVII, I'll go with Polar Bears then. I should be able to finish all AS spells today. I also have a few new entries to discuss for Monster Summoning but I've decided to focus on druids for now.

I love you Demi, what you do to BG keeps it alive and interesting. Thanks mate.

:love: Well I do received A LOT of help lately. That 'thanks' (and my own) goes to all the active community around Revisions mod.

Btw, wait and see, within 1-2 more builds SRV4 will look terrific! ;)

I'm worry about thing that the number of summoned creatures are limited in game ... because the AS spells are supposed to summon much more number but less powerful creatures comparing with Conjure Elementals. If the number is limited, the power of the spells will be getting worse and worse.

I'm sympathetic to this but I'm also not really worried. The only AS spell that could have needed 5+ creatures is ASI, for all the other ones 2-4 creatures is more than enough imo. Keep in mind that now Druids will also have two very powerful mass buffs for them, Magic Fang and Animal Growth. Last but not least, if the spells will need a boost for high lvls we could make them work like vanilla Spider Spawn and summon Dire variants of those animals at level X.

Regarding ASVII, I'll go with Polar Bears then. I should be able to finish all AS spells today. I also have a few new entries to discuss for Monster Summoning but I've decided to focus on druids for now.

What I was worried about were the situation where multiple summoning are required against a large group of monsters so that reach the summoning cap straight. But, yes, as you mentioned the upcoming buff spells would simply solve that kind of problem.

ASII: 2HD War Dogs (can see invisible creatures and remove invisibility on hit - simulates Scent)

I think that's pretty overpowered. It would render Invisibility useless for the AI/enemy since the player could just use this spell to dispel enemies' invisibility. I would suggest giving them 2 APR (or 1.5) instead, or an AC bonus to remark the ``War'' part on their name :D

Nay, it's fine. Not too much other ways to remove invisibility at lower levels (unless you're playing Cheesequisitor ofc). Not to mention that at least on BGT those dogs are somehow slower than class NPCs (bg1 vs bg2 speed issue, I think), so probably 3\4 of the time they'll just be kited around.

It's just an Invisibility Purge (which is probably the same level for mages), but with a puppy as bonus.

And if AI druids would learn to cast it vs PC rogues, it'll be awesome.

Archived