Unearthed Arcana presents Scales of Balance: a post-hac tweak pack

Hi Subtledoctor,

Just wanted clarification about Weapon Proficiency Overhaul (WPO): Overall Overhaul, specifically:

"However, unusually warriors with an INT score of 14+ receive a "focus training" ability allowing them to specialize in 1 weapon immediately. (NOTE - the focus weapon ability will only appear in EE games of version 1.4 or higher.) And trueclass fighters automatically get an additional weapon of focus, regardless of INT."

How does this work with multiclass? For example, a Fighter/Thief w/ INT 15.

Thanks!

Hello Doctor,

I was debugging an issue with a component from another mod and did a changelog of a ring and noticed that it had been modified by IWO: Aesthetic & Enchantment Tweaks, which made no sense to me since looking at the code I saw that only items with enchantments 1, 2, 4 or 6 were to be modified...

So, the culprit is the function that starts at line 903 of 101_IWO_enchantments.tpa which is missing a 'BUT_ONLY' (the "hardcore" variant has the same problem).

Not a big deal, but.. (2k files less, approximately, in the backup folder after this change)

Also, I wonder if these functions could be written more efficiently:

Actual code:

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.*\.itm~ ~override~
   PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE > 0x71) BEGIN
	READ_LONG 0x60 enchantment
	PATCH_IF (enchantment = 1) BEGIN
		WRITE_LONG 0x60 3
	END
   END
BUT_ONLY

PATCH_IF (enchantment = 2) BEGIN
		WRITE_LONG 0x60 3
	END
   END
BUT_ONLY

PATCH_IF (enchantment = 4) BEGIN
		WRITE_LONG 0x60 3
	END
   END
BUT_ONLY

PATCH_IF (enchantment = 6) BEGIN
		WRITE_LONG 0x60 5
	END
   END
BUT_ONLY

Suggested:

PATCH_IF ((enchantment = 1) OR (enchantment = 2) OR (enchantment = 4)) BEGIN
		WRITE_LONG 0x60 3
	END ELSE
	PATCH_IF (enchantment = 6) BEGIN
		WRITE_LONG 0x60 5
	END
   END
BUT_ONLY

So all items are iterated just once.

Lastly,  it would be great and would look better if penalties were omitted from item descriptions when those are zero, for example: "Dexterity penalty: -0" or "Arcane Casting Speed Penalty: +0".

Thank you.

Edited by Antipatiko

The Scales of Balance Stat Bonus Overhaul component causes the minimum and maximum stat values to be erased.  It would be nice to keep these so players don't get as confused as to why they can't increase/decrease their stat totals any further.

I've made a small update to v5.24.  This improves compatibility with Grey the Dog, preventing you from putting proficiency points into weapon styles, and improves the performance of the IWO enchanted weapon name standardization.

On 7/22/2020 at 3:05 AM, Caedwyr said:

The Scales of Balance Stat Bonus Overhaul component causes the minimum and maximum stat values to be erased.  It would be nice to keep these so players don't get as confused as to why they can't increase/decrease their stat totals any further.

I missed this.  And i don't fully understand it.  What maximum and minimum values?

EDIT - oh, you mean in the text somewhere?  Let me know where, I can improve it.

In the unmodded game, during character creation, after you pick a class and go on to roll for abilities, clicking on each stat would normally show you Max and Min entries in the text which are updated based on any adjustments applied by the class/kit (for example, Paladin has a Max and Min of 18 for CHA and this is shown here).

Edited by Caedwyr

Massive post with compiled list of possible issues

Spoiler
  1. Grey the Dog gets the wrong number of proficiencies because of an interaction with Scales of Balance. Fixed
  2. Scales of Balance Weapon Styles.  It would be helpful if these made it explicitly clear if ranged weapons benefit from any of the styles, and even if you don't list the negatives list  the cases in which ranged weapons might gain benefit from the styles (throwing daggers, darts, throwing hammers for example).  I can't recall the behaviour in the base game, but I can see the current descriptions confusing less experienced players.
  3. The Weapon Proficiency Overhaul dialogue box for the additional proficiency innate selection for Bows shows "Advance to Mastery (+++) with Short Bows".  It should say "Advance to Mastery with Bows"Baldr000.jpg.62a0aab51ac4147d00c812e0c5e4cae6.jpg
  4. Minor text description incompatibility with Weapon Styles Overhaul and Weapon Proficiency Overhaul and kits that explicitly list mastery or number of +++ the kit/class is able to invest.  Patching this seamlessly likely requires horrible janky regex and may not be worthwhile to do.  May have a solution or at least improved handling of this situation.

I will continue to update this post as I continue my testing.

Guest Obtuse User

I believe the melee THAC0 bonus from 18+ Dex is not applying. First I thought it was a character record display issue but in playtesting it does not appear added to hit rolls either.

43 minutes ago, Guest Obtuse User said:

I believe the melee THAC0 bonus from 18+ Dex is not applying. First I thought it was a character record display issue but in playtesting it does not appear added to hit rolls either.

Seems to work for me.  I created a fighter in SoA who is specialized in long swords, with 12 DEX:

Spoiler

12dex.thumb.jpg.d52dcb1fe82b9225c985957667ab79ea.jpg

...and then rolled an identical fighter specialized in long swords, with 16 DEX:

Spoiler

16dex.thumb.jpg.5726b4e1925530b37dc35c6abacddd77.jpg

On 7/8/2020 at 2:08 PM, Antipatiko said:

the culprit is the function that starts at line 903 of 101_IWO_enchantments.tpa which is missing a 'BUT_ONLY'

Good catch.  Fixed locally, I need to make a few other changes before uploading the new version though.  As for the other inefficient code: yeah.  Some of this (in this mod, in particular) was written a couple years ago when I really didn't know how to use Weidu efficiently.  Any thing I've done more recently should hopefully be much more streamlined.  But for the old stuff, I don't really have time to go through old code to streamline it, and then debug the result.  My policy is generally, if a mod is working, I'm probably not going to touch it.

On 6/26/2020 at 3:41 AM, Chitown Willie said:

However, unusually warriors with an INT score of 14+ receive a "focus training" ability allowing them to specialize in 1 weapon immediately. (NOTE - the focus weapon ability will only appear in EE games of version 1.4 or higher.) And trueclass fighters automatically get an additional weapon of focus, regardless of INT."

How does this work with multiclass? For example, a Fighter/Thief w/ INT 15.

Probably it's only for single-class.  But honestly I don't really remember - it might work for multis too.

Edited by subtledoctor
5 minutes ago, Guest Obtuse User said:

Agreed looks like it is working for you. Do you have to be specialized to get the bonus?

No.  Same bonus shows with a bare fist. 

You might need to let the game clock run for a few seconds, since all extra ability score effects operate via repeating .effs...

Edited by subtledoctor
4 hours ago, Drow Arrow said:

updated link to download

Updated the first post, thanks. 

I also updated the mod to v5.25, which adds a new component giving bonus spell slots for high INT (wizards), CHA (sorcerers), or WIS (Faiths & Powers spontaneous-casting priests). This matches exactly component #95 in Tome & Blood v0.9; it is replicated here for convenience, to make sure it is installed after any mod that alters spell tables, like CDTweaks.

I also added an .ini file for use with Project Infinity.

Edited by subtledoctor