What is going on with forums?

Sir Kalthorine

Domi's history (sadly) doesn't document the creation of Baldurdash and its heros, including one of mine, Manveru and the fan based Jaheira fix. Come'on those of you who were around, help her out!!

There are clearly others who should be mentioned.

--

Dave

A lot of early scripting got hashed out at a variety of yahoo groups

BGScripts

followed by

BWScripts

spinoffs from that being

IEEAIS

and eventually

IEModders

I think there was a scripting webring before even all of that.

IIRC, JCs teamwork scripts were the first set of 3rd party Party AI scripts published scripts for any IE game (BG1:TOTSC specifically).

No idea on the dates.

1998 - A YEAR OF THE GATE

This year started it all, with BioWARE releasing its first game made in IE and licencing IE

BG1 is released

TeamBG established

? BGScripts (?) yahoo group (followed by BWScripts, IEEAIS and IE Modders)

1999 - A YEAR OF INFINITY

The modding community sort of emerges...

BG1ToSC is released.

(?) first fan made fixes are released (Baldurdash?)

(?) TeamBG suit utilities (CRE editor, BAM Workshop, IEEP)

BGFFHP (later IEFFHP)

2000 - A YEAR OF SHADOWS

BG2SoA, the sequel to BG1 becomes a widely popular CRPG

Comapny of 8, Planar Sphere Expansion, DSoSC, TDD is released (?)

CoM forums established

FWP forums are established

IEFFHP (earlier BGFFHP)

IESDP established (earlier known as: BGFFHP/IEFFHP)

2001 A YEAR OF THE THRONE OF BLOOD

BG2ToB released

Near Infinity Editor

IDU dialogue editor

WeiDU dialogue editor, Solaufein released

FWP hosts Kelsey

Arnel’s Nalia Romance released

Ascension released

2002 A YEAR OF NPCs

IDW dialogue editor

FWStudios is established as a separate site from FWP

Mods stop being a rarity, rather a staple and lots of modded NPCs are in works and released (Tashia, Kelsey and later Chloe, other romances)

Blucher's Expanded Thief Stronghold released

Tashia Romance released

(?) DLTCEP is started in order to create a Total conversion from BG2 to Dragon Lance world and promotes creation of DLTCEP tool

(?) BP is started as the first attempt to make dialogue.tlk overwriting mods compatible with WeiDU mods.

2003 - A YEAR OF RETURNS

This year brings a rekindled interest in BG1 modding due to mods that allowed using BG2 IE variant with BG1

Blacksheep forums created

G3 forums created

TUTU is created and released as the first successful application of Weimer's WeiMORPH

BGT is made publically available

IE editing and modding becomes accessible to novice coders with little to no programming experience

2004 - A YEAR OF MANY CHANGES

Generally marked by dissent and disagreement in the modding community, but the community survives and is increasingly productive

PPG created and FWP and FWS are merged into FW

Icelus' full mod list takes a shape of a database, inheriting the structure from the earlier TeamBG's one

The concept of "Quicky" mods emerges

TeamBG is hacked and closed down as a result

BW forum is created

Generally marked by dissent and disagreement in the modding community, but the community survives and is increasingly productive

You know, I think this overstates things quite a bit, both on an absolute level and when compared to all the LUNCH-TAKING angst of 2002, or the way that one could log onto TeamBG in 2001 and be greeted by a pages-long rant about Prilla.

I'd say that one person being called a fucking this or a fucking that pales by comparison. ;)

A split of a major board and demise of another one I think qualifies. By 2004, at least to my eye, the 'big three' were Team, FWP and FWS. In 2004, Team ceased to exist, FW underwent majour reform and FWS ceased to exist. By the contrast, in 2001 Team continued its existence, and a new board emerged. Emergence of a new board is not such a rare event. Small boards pop up and sink all the time, but only a few grow into rather large communities.

A split of a major board and demise of another one I think qualifies.

It's a matter of interpretation, I suppose. Admittedly, I forgot amusing episodes like forum administrators deleting their own accounts as a sign of protest multiple times.

As for TeamBG's demise being related to acrimony and strife and all that, Ken was actually pretty personable (comparatively speaking) during his brief return last year and even if you buy the "vicious hacker" story, it seems pretty clear that it would have been a random act, not somebody Out To Get TeamBG.

I still think it creates a more hostile atmosphere when administrators are running extended rants on their front pages than having to read between the lines and figure out why a bunch of mod URLs no longer lead anyplace. But it's your history. ;)

The creation of Lost Hollows is still missing! ;) 2004 or something! A major player by the year 2105.

I think it would not be totally unplausible (albeit a sorry fact nevertheless) for somebody to call it quits on a project. It is not damaging to your reputation to just say that you lost any impetus to work on that project/plattform/society (well perhaps not society ??? ). After all most people spend a lot of time for little praise and naught in cash. I seldom care for explanations that do not offer new options. If all is lost due to a HDD crash or a camel, so be it.

On the other hand you might argue that even though some provide the plattform the forum as a whole is a community endeavour of all the patrons. So some questions should be answered after all.

I am right now experiencing this with the SPOON collective and it is somewhat sad.

Archived