What is going on with forums?

Sir Kalthorine

Solaufein, and by extension "Weimer DC", later WeiDU, were started in summer 2001.

Arnel's Nalia was first released in late 2001/early 2002. I want to say the first version was December 01.

Tashia was released in February/March 2002. It was the first "large-scale" non-Weimer WeiDU mod to be published, although I believe Blucher's Expanded Thief Stronghold predates it.

2001- FWP created to host Kelsey

This isn't really true. FW was started in April 2001 to create the "Forgotten Wars TC," which was supposed to be an adventure taking place between BG1 and BG2.

It was only after everybody at FW at the time realized they didn't know what they were doing that they decided to go with something slightly more manageable, like a romance NPC. Of course, they didn't know how to do that, either, and looked to the outside to find people to develop and implement a romance NPC mod. That's where I, and later Ghreyfain, came in.

And, oh, right.

I don't have IDU's original publishing date but it certainly was around in 2001, at least. It allowed working in one DLG at a time through a GUI tree-based view. It was impossible to delete states, impossible to set weighting (and, in fact, would reset weighting to the order of the state triggers by state regardless of how the DLG had been programmed), and would crash mightily for no apparent reason, often corrupting the .tlk file and/or the active DLG file being edited. DLGs created or modified with IDU were typically exported to TBG/IAP files.

IDW was actually developed in 2002, after most serious mod developers had already started using WeiDU. Unlike IDU, you could edit multiple DLGs at once, and I believe weighting was supported. However, action and trigger text would randomly get corrupted, leading to totally unusable DLGs.

There's also the aerie.ru dialogue editor, which last time I looked at it vaguely resembled IDW and I think is more or less its contemporary. Not sure how well it works.

Nice, it's getting much clearer. I, unfortunately not much on quest modding, so if someone could highlight significant accomplishements in that sphere, it would be very nice. O, and that Ascension thinggy... when did it come out? Being the only mod from developpers, it should be mentiond, me thinks ;) O, and I want dates on Ghrey's 'Creation of the Simple NPC", Sim's Scripting Guide and Blue's Road tuts.

1998 - A YEAR OF THE GATE

This year started it all, with BioWARE releasing its first game made in IE and licencing IE

BG1 is released

TeamBG established

1999 - A YEAR OF INFINITY

The modding community sort of emerges...

BG1ToSC is released.

(?) first fan made fixes are released

(?) TeamBG suit utilities (CRE editor, BAM Workshop, IEEP)

BGFFHP (later IEFFHP)

2000 - A YEAR OF SHADOWS

BG2SoA, the sequel to BG1 becomes a widely popular CRPG

Comapny of 8, Planar Sphere Expansion, DSoSC, TDD is released (?)

CoM forums established

FWP forums are established

IEFFHP (earlier BGFFHP)

? - NI released

? - IESDP established (earlier known as: BGFFHP/IEFFHP)

2001 A YEAR OF THE THRONE OF BLOOD

BG2ToB released

IDU dialogue editor

WeiDU dialogue editor, Solaufein

FWP hosts Kelsey

Arnel’s Nalia Romance

2002 A YEAR OF NPCs

IDW dialogue editor

FWStudios is established as a separate site from FWP

Mods stop being a rarity, rather a staple and lots of modded NPCs are in works and released (Tashia, Kelsey and later Chloe, other romances)

Blucher's Expanded Thief Stronghold

Tashia Romance released

(?) DLTCEP is started in order to create a Total conversion from BG2 to Dragon Lance world and promotes creation of DLTCEP tool

(?) BP is started as the first attempt to make dialogue.tlk overwriting mods compatible with WeiDU mods.

2003 - A YEAR OF RETURNS

This year brings a rekindled interest in BG1 modding due to mods that allowed using BG2 IE variant with BG1

Blacksheep forums created

G3 forums created

TUTU is created and released as the first successful application of Weimer's WeiMORPH

BGT is made publically available

IE editing and modding becomes accessible to novice coders with little to no programming experience

2004 - A YEAR OF MANY CHANGES

Generally marked by dissent and disagreement in the modding community, but the community survives and is increasingly productive

PPG created and FWP and FWS are merged into FW

Icelus' full mod list takes a shape of a database, inheriting the structure from the earlier TeamBG's one

The concept of "Quicky" mods emerges

TeamBG is hacked and closed down as a result

BW forum is created

Misc. Time : Lots of mod development

Misc Time + a bit: Everybody gives up on any mod development, except NPC's

I dont have the creation date of the IESDP handy, but it was predated by the IEFFPH, which was pre-dated by the BGFFHP.

TUTU is created and lunched as the first successful application of Weimer's WeiMORPH

Is this a tasty mod? If so, I may yet install this one. ;)

Oh.. Tutu is a must at least once-through. It makes SUCH a difference to the original (blah) BG1. Truly... I had no incentive to re-play BG1 until Tutu.

Archived