Bug Reports: IR v4 Beta

I removed graphics changes from the items themselves by setting almost all color, bam, and sprite/paperdoll changes back to vanilla (I had two copies of the game installed so I could compare directly), and then disabled the installation of the old 1pp graphics present in the IR archive entirely so that one, the mod is fully compatible with whatever configuration of 1pp you wish you install (BG2 style, BG1 style, whatever), and two, you also do not actually need to install 1pp on top of it either if, for some reason, you do not even like 1pp to begin with (i.e. it works standalone, too). Basically, the idea was to erase the mod of any 1pp stuff so that you can actually install 1pp on top of IR the way that 1pp was originally meant to be (as opposed to the hackneyed setup currently recommended)...with all the additional components that Demi/Mike recommended against installing, like additional paperdoll stuff. I really don't think trying to integrate 1pp was something IR should've ever tried to do in the first place except as absolutely necessary (for new/unique item concepts where the original graphics didn't make any sense, basically) - let the user decide what they want to do. Now, we seem to be at an impasse where it's too much work to try to fix/revert everything so that it would be fully compatible with 1pp - which is why I did it all myself.

Edited by Bartimaeus

I have very little knowledge of what exactly and how 1pp does, so I'd rather leave this issue for somebody with more graphic expertise than myself. One thing I do know is that I much prefer the original BG2 Axe of Unyielding bam than the new one, but that's just a minor issue.

An explanation of 1pp: it's a big concoction of graphical improvements (bams, sprites/paperdolls, colorings, spell effects, etc.), and it does it all by patching, as opposed to IR, whose main component is 100% overwriting. So it never really made sense to me that you stick the nice and dynamic patching mod before the overwriting mod - that doesn't make any sense at all, but that's what's recommended by IR because of compatibility issues as a result of IR being based on and including a very, very old version of 1pp. So the idea was to remove all the old 1pp changes so that you could just use the much more modern 1pp patcher on top of it like it was originally supposed to be. I know Salk, for example, has been working on making the two compatible for ages. Instead of trying to make mini-mods that you stick on top of both to try to fix them, I figured why not cut the problem off at its source and rebuild the IR files? So that's the approach I went with.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Yeah, and it forces graphics options on the user for no real good reason when it could just be left to the user to decide what to use - or to use nothing at all, if you don't like 1pp. 1pp has several customization options - Salk, for example, I know prefers BG1-style shields, but I am fine with BG2-style shields (or a mix of both). Being able to use the 1pp patcher after IR, instead of before, allows you to customize which type you want instead of IR forcing the choice for you. And yes, it would be a lot of work...almost as much as just reverting everything back to vanilla appearances, actually, haha.

Actually...I can think of a scheme that would probably vastly simplify updating most of IR to use 1ppv4...but really, I'm just not a fan of having 1pp inside of the IR installer to begin with.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Yes, I and Bartimaeus are the most vocal supporters of a sensible IR + 1PP integration, although the disintegration ( :D ) he suggests might work fine as well!

I use two small custom made minimods to create the graphic environment I desire and Bartimaeus was kind enough to give me some feedback about how good it works. I am satisfied with where I stand with it so I feel less urgency in promoting a solution now.

Unfortunately, it is somewhat BGT specific and it enforces some of my personal preferences, although I would consider them only marginally important.

Edited by Salk

I made a version of the mod that strips it of almost all 1pp graphics changes and reverts it back to vanilla (...) Would anyone be interested in it, or at least taking a look at it?

I would like to have a look at it and posibly integrate it into my current install.

Did you make any changes to the gauntlets of weapon expertise? In my bgee version the "bonus melee damage" effect doesn't work at all, I had to work around it by adding damage to all weapons and substracting from ranged only. While it works, it's very ugly a solution.

Did you make any changes to the gauntlets of weapon expertise? In my bgee version the "bonus melee damage" effect doesn't work at all, I had to work around it by adding damage to all weapons and substracting from ranged only. While it works, it's very ugly a solution.

I've also noticed this. An easy workaround would be to make these give flat THAC0 & damage bonuses as in vanilla (they're called "weapon expertise", not "melee weapon expertise" anyway). Besides, it'a a rather late-game item in BG2 (ch.6) so I'd hardly call these very powerful by the time you get them.

P.S.

Despite the bonus damage not being mentioned in character sheet, it's there, so they're actually working fine.

Edited by kreso

I like druidic spells changes very much, regeneration spells and the fact that he can buff up hes own summons using somewhat unique spells - just awesome! So I play with Cernd. Well...hes stuff is kinda messed up.

Staff - elemental protection is actually 15%, not 10% like in description. - 1 to casting time is not there. Actually also gives protection from spells.

Cloak - No elemental protection at all - desc. says 10%. All saves -1 , AC -1. Regen as per descryption but there is no icon. Does not give protection from spells as per descryption.

LOL unusable by druid. Someone was nawalony jak bombowiec.

will we never have a definitive version?

Is there anything particularly wrong with the current version? It is freely available, it even has an up-to-date readme IIRC, and it has fewer bugs than most mods with "official" releases. Is it so important to just see the words "final release?"

will we never have a definitive version?

Is there anything particularly wrong with the current version? It is freely available, it even has an up-to-date readme IIRC, and it has fewer bugs than most mods with "official" releases. Is it so important to just see the words "final release?"

I think it is a matter of what we define "wrong".

To me, IR feels (like the other Revisions) sort of a neverending WIP. A number of bugs have been reported a long time ago and even the "Beta" version (the last official one was for 2011!) that is available through indirect means (meaning it is not officially replacing version 3) is not really complete and still has compatibility issues with 1PP material which both I and Bartimaues have tried to address locally. If I did not have my own version to rely on, I would not probably be using IR, be it v3 or the current v4 Beta.

It will all be fixed in 2 days. I'm currently tweaking and fixing SR; adding 2 completely new components (warrior HLAs and EE-only component). When I'm done with it I'll get on with fixing IR. I won't however be touching 1pp stuff since I'm oblivious go graphics.

And I've lost my damn account. :schimpf: