Progress

K4thos

@K4thos the update is very much appreciated. Glad to hear it's still being worked on. Just a quickie though: Will the mod have multiplayer support? Seeing that you need a separate folder to install EET, I was wondering if it used the same lobby and client/server functionality as the enhanced editions on Steam do. My guess is that it doesn't but who knows, I'm not very well-versed in network code.

2 hours ago, Ser Elryk said:

@K4thos Thank you for the update! I think this was answered some time ago, but I can't remember, and don't know how much has changed since then. But just out of curiosity, how much of IWD2's content will be included in this mod (especially campaign-wise)?

all of it

14 hours ago, K4thos said:

I don't understand this question. How base IWD1 campaign is implemented currently has been described in this topic

Sorry, K4thos. It was late, I was tired, and I think I misunderstood the line

"There is a direct conflict between IWD1 story and SoD villain, as well as some characters and even different iterations of the same locations showing up in both IWD1 and IWD2 story. Due to these reasons it has been decided that IWD1 can't co-exist alongside SoD and IWD2 content in the current timeline. Doing so would require major story overhaul, which is not planned."

as meaning that the IWD1 base campaign would not be included in IWD-in_EET.

Thanks for the update! Seems we're getting closer and closer :D

@The_Rock -- regarding multiplayer.  I would assume that, like any other modded BG(2):EE game, multiplayer is completely possible. I ran a modded, non-EET, BG1:EE game with 2 other friends and it worked just fine.  The trick is to make sure that you and your friends all have exactly the same game files. Any deviation can cause weird effects in the game text. A BG-EET install produces a standalone folder containing the entire game. The simplest thing is to have one person create that standalone game folder, then share it with the other participants. (I am -- naturally -- assuming all players already have purchased the game client themselves ;) )

11 hours ago, Lightbringer said:

Thanks for the update! Seems we're getting closer and closer :D

@The_Rock -- regarding multiplayer.  I would assume that, like any other modded BG(2):EE game, multiplayer is completely possible. I ran a modded, non-EET, BG1:EE game with 2 other friends and it worked just fine.  The trick is to make sure that you and your friends all have exactly the same game files. Any deviation can cause weird effects in the game text. A BG-EET install produces a standalone folder containing the entire game. The simplest thing is to have one person create that standalone game folder, then share it with the other participants. (I am -- naturally -- assuming all players already have purchased the game client themselves ;) ) 

Now that is good news indeed! Thanks for chiming in with your multiplayer experience.

On 9/5/2019 at 10:50 AM, Arthas said:

Did you reach a consensus on how to go for it, @K4thos?

nope. It's been a while since I've checked the active topics here. I will read if there were any other interesting ideas.

9 hours ago, Guest Szu said:

Dear @K4thos how are You? How is the progress? Can't wait for information :) Best Regards! 

I've been focusing on Lua side of the mod recently. Quoting myself:

On 7/22/2019 at 2:55 PM, K4thos said:

While waiting for further EEex development (there are some features still missing in it, that are needed for this mod - Bubb is aware about them) I will most likely convert IWD2 GUI to work on EE in the meantime. IWD2 GUI will be handy for showcasing 3rd style feats, multi-class support, subraces, new skills, class based spell selection etc. (implementing these features in existing EE GUIs would require some new art, so it's something that will need external help in future since I'm not an artist)

Here are the results of these (ongoing) efforts:

https://imgur.com/a/teitafp

This is not a normal GUI skin. For example whole character creation, levelling up and spellbook screen no longer use hardcoded functions. Thanks to EEex, I've re-implemented normally hardcoded functionality from scratch in Lua, in order to support 3E style multi-class system, character progression and other IWD2 features introduced by this mod (among other things: feats, subraces, mixed spellcasting types on the same character etc.).

As you can see on the third screenshot, IWD-in-EET supports both custom rules (3E style features, most of the IWD2 systems) as well as classic BG rules at the same time (selectable during character creation), which makes the mod very compatible with existing mods (no problems with installing kits or even tweaks that change the ruleset via 2da files – those are ignored by "custom rules" characters)

Edited by K4thos

Thanks for the update, @K4thos!

Oh wow. I'm rather blown away by those screens.  I was under the impression that the IWD1&2 content would be added to the AD&D 2nd ed rules of BG EET

Does this mean that, by having IWD-in-EET installed, our regular BG EET characters will have feats and skills available?  3rd ed multiclassing?  I saw a screen of Aerie's spell list. How does her Cleric/Mage combo work there? Am I going to be leveling up Keldorn in Watcher's keep and considering whether to take a level of fighter and get a new feat, and whether to spend his skill points on Persuasion or Intimidate?

For that matter, I also saw references to Wisdom improving Will saves and making cleric spells harder to resist (Spell DCs?).  I'm assuming that's just text used while making GUI changes, and not representative of that much engine overhaul, 3rd ed style.  Please correct if I'm mistaken!

I did see at character creation that one can select between Classic and 3rd edition, at least.

Sorry, mind boggled over here ...

Edited by Lightbringer
4 hours ago, Lightbringer said:

I saw a screen of Aerie's spell list. How does her Cleric/Mage combo work there?

If you look the picture with more care, you'll notice that the spells are in separate list between the two classes, just like in 2nd Ed.

I think that K4thos is taking a little too much with this... not that he couldn't do it, it's just that... never mind.

27 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

If you look the picture with more care, you'll notice that the spells are in separate list between the two classes, just like in 2nd Ed.

I think that K4thos is taking a little too much with this... not that he couldn't do it, it's just that... never mind.

I meant more of the multi-classing aspect, rather than the spell list.  If you select the 3rd ed variant at character creation, then recruit Aerie at, say level 10, will she be a Mag5/Cle5 (3rd ed multi), or a Mag9/Cle9 (2nd ed multi)?

Eh, the choice is there to stick with 2nd ed or try 3rd-lite. Guess I'll have to try it a couple times to test them all out.  Darn. :D

As you can see in the third screenshot you can select between classic and custom rules during character creation. Which means it only applies to player created characters (for example starting a new game with a party of 6, just like in IWD1 and IWD2) and mods created with IWD-in-EET in mind. Changing vanilla NPCs to follow custom rules is outside scope of this project. I'm thinking about adding a feature for something like Level1NPC mod (via toogle in options screen) which spawns new vanilla NPCs (not mod added) at level 0, so that you can create them from scratch. Nothing more since I don't really want to spend time thinking which skills, feats or class combinations particular NPC should use. The mod supports vanilla kits and mod added NPCs just fine as it is.

edit:

For that matter, I also saw references to Wisdom improving Will saves and making cleric spells harder to resist (Spell DCs?).  I'm assuming that's just text used while making GUI changes, and not representative of that much engine overhaul, 3rd ed style.  Please correct if I'm mistaken!

that description is indeed wrong. Compared to classic rules the only difference for WIS is:

- bonus spells based on Wisdom score (following IWD2 rules)

- the minimum score needed to cast a Cleric, Druid, or Ranger spell is 10 + the spell's level (so for example you won't be able to cast level 7 spells with 16 Wisdom). Paladins use Charisma instead.

- ability modifiers affecting skill scores governed by this ability

edit: when not wearing armor monk's Armor Class is also affected by Wisdom modifier

Edited by K4thos
16 minutes ago, K4thos said:

As you can see in the third screenshot you can select between classic and custom rules during character creation. Which means it only applies to player created characters (for example starting a new game with a party of 6, just like in IWD1 and IWD2) and mods created with IWD-in-EET in mind. Changing vanilla NPCs to follow custom rules is outside scope of this project.

So it's more like, choose this option to "make your own kits, during playing the character, with a few custom other rules" ?

Hows this implemented ? Is it like spell selection ... or with urgh - dialog ? Note, urgh - dialog is bad.