Progress

K4thos

55 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Time is money but money is not time. A small donation would not afford any contributors the ability to take time away from their day jobs, so it would not get the mod made any faster. And taking time away from *making the mod* in order to put together a trailer or gameplay preview is not a great idea either. 

There's no rule against accepting donations, but almost every modder has declined them when offered, IMHO for good reason. 

Fair enough although you're not telling me a screenshot or two would take days to upload, are you? Don't want to come off as an ingrate but this mod could get a lot more exposure that way. Just so you fellas know that all your hard work is not going by unnoticed.

Progress:

Item conversion code and item description generation code is finished (well, you know, first iteration, further adjustments and bug fixes are likely). Here are some examples:

IWD2:

STATISTICS:

Damage:  1d6 + 1
Attack Bonus: +1 
Enchantment:  +1
Damage Type:  Piercing
Special:
  Spell Power: Can cast the spell Sanctuary 1/day
  Stunning: 25% chance target is stunned for 1/2 round (Fortitude save to resist)
Weight:  3 lb.
Feat Requirement:  Simple Weapon, Small Blade
Type:  One-handed

EE style automatically generated description (based on automatically converted item)

STATISTICS:

Combat abilities:
– 25% chance hit target is stunned for 3 seconds (Save vs. Paralysis at -8 negates)

Charge abilities:
– Sanctuary once per day
  Duration: 1 turn
  Area of Effect: The user

THAC0: +1
Damage: 1d6+1 (piercing)
Speed Factor: 2
Proficiency Type: Short Sword
Type: One-handed
Requires:
 5 Strength

Weight: 3

----------------

Now an example that showcases how base parameters are automatically handled to follow AD&D/BG stats of the items.

IWD2:

STATISTICS:

Medium Armor
Armor Bonus: +4
Max Dex Bonus:  +4
Armor Check Penalty:  -2
Arcane Spell Failure:  20%
Special:
  Damage reduction 10/+2
Regeneration: User Regenerates 1 hit point ever 10 combat rounds
Weight: 15 lb.

EE (notice additional Hide Armor theif skill penalties and AD&D AC armor bonuses on top of base AC.

STATISTICS:

Equipped abilities:
– Regenerate 1 Hit Point per turn
– Physical Damage Resistance: +10%
– Open Locks: -10%
– Find Traps: -10%
– Pick Pockets: -10%
– Move Silently: -20%

Armor Class: 5 (7 vs. piercing and missile)
Requires:
 6 Strength

Weight: 24

----------------

In order to find flaws in the item conversion and descripion generation code I will probably prepare comparision in HTML format between all IWD2 items descriptions on the left side and EE style on the right for easier reviewing and upload it here. I'm going to also explain rules used for item conversion in a separate topic to gather some feedback on it.

----------------

edit: btw. this was the last task when it comes to vanilla IWD2 resources conversion. All that is left are tasks related to Lua code and EEex features. And of course lots of internal testing before I feel the mod is ready for public testing. @Grimo is also writing vanilla NPC interjections for IWD2 content, so that's another work in progress.

While waiting for further EEex development (there are some features still missing in it, that are needed for this mod - Bubb is aware about them) I will most likely convert IWD2 GUI to work on EE in the meantime. IWD2 GUI will be handy for showcasing 3rd style feats, multi-class support, subraces, new skills, class based spell selection etc. (implementing these features in existing EE GUIs would require some new art, so it's something that will need external help in future since I'm not an artist)

----------------

edit2: automatic item description generation code has been designed to support English and Polish languages (thanks to @Cahir's efforts to make Polish BG:EE and BG2:EE item descriptions follow closely English formatting). Other languages likely won't be generated automtically (or will be only partially) since there are too many differences in them compared to English descriptions formatting (in most cases lack of separation between Combat, Equipped, Charge abilities and other style differences).

Edited by K4thos

@K4thos the update is very much appreciated. Glad to hear it's still being worked on. Just a quickie though: Will the mod have multiplayer support? Seeing that you need a separate folder to install EET, I was wondering if it used the same lobby and client/server functionality as the enhanced editions on Steam do. My guess is that it doesn't but who knows, I'm not very well-versed in network code.

2 hours ago, Ser Elryk said:

@K4thos Thank you for the update! I think this was answered some time ago, but I can't remember, and don't know how much has changed since then. But just out of curiosity, how much of IWD2's content will be included in this mod (especially campaign-wise)?

all of it

14 hours ago, K4thos said:

I don't understand this question. How base IWD1 campaign is implemented currently has been described in this topic

Sorry, K4thos. It was late, I was tired, and I think I misunderstood the line

"There is a direct conflict between IWD1 story and SoD villain, as well as some characters and even different iterations of the same locations showing up in both IWD1 and IWD2 story. Due to these reasons it has been decided that IWD1 can't co-exist alongside SoD and IWD2 content in the current timeline. Doing so would require major story overhaul, which is not planned."

as meaning that the IWD1 base campaign would not be included in IWD-in_EET.

Thanks for the update! Seems we're getting closer and closer :D

@The_Rock -- regarding multiplayer.  I would assume that, like any other modded BG(2):EE game, multiplayer is completely possible. I ran a modded, non-EET, BG1:EE game with 2 other friends and it worked just fine.  The trick is to make sure that you and your friends all have exactly the same game files. Any deviation can cause weird effects in the game text. A BG-EET install produces a standalone folder containing the entire game. The simplest thing is to have one person create that standalone game folder, then share it with the other participants. (I am -- naturally -- assuming all players already have purchased the game client themselves ;) )

11 hours ago, Lightbringer said:

Thanks for the update! Seems we're getting closer and closer :D

@The_Rock -- regarding multiplayer.  I would assume that, like any other modded BG(2):EE game, multiplayer is completely possible. I ran a modded, non-EET, BG1:EE game with 2 other friends and it worked just fine.  The trick is to make sure that you and your friends all have exactly the same game files. Any deviation can cause weird effects in the game text. A BG-EET install produces a standalone folder containing the entire game. The simplest thing is to have one person create that standalone game folder, then share it with the other participants. (I am -- naturally -- assuming all players already have purchased the game client themselves ;) ) 

Now that is good news indeed! Thanks for chiming in with your multiplayer experience.

On 9/5/2019 at 10:50 AM, Arthas said:

Did you reach a consensus on how to go for it, @K4thos?

nope. It's been a while since I've checked the active topics here. I will read if there were any other interesting ideas.

9 hours ago, Guest Szu said:

Dear @K4thos how are You? How is the progress? Can't wait for information :) Best Regards! 

I've been focusing on Lua side of the mod recently. Quoting myself:

On 7/22/2019 at 2:55 PM, K4thos said:

While waiting for further EEex development (there are some features still missing in it, that are needed for this mod - Bubb is aware about them) I will most likely convert IWD2 GUI to work on EE in the meantime. IWD2 GUI will be handy for showcasing 3rd style feats, multi-class support, subraces, new skills, class based spell selection etc. (implementing these features in existing EE GUIs would require some new art, so it's something that will need external help in future since I'm not an artist)

Here are the results of these (ongoing) efforts:

https://imgur.com/a/teitafp

This is not a normal GUI skin. For example whole character creation, levelling up and spellbook screen no longer use hardcoded functions. Thanks to EEex, I've re-implemented normally hardcoded functionality from scratch in Lua, in order to support 3E style multi-class system, character progression and other IWD2 features introduced by this mod (among other things: feats, subraces, mixed spellcasting types on the same character etc.).

As you can see on the third screenshot, IWD-in-EET supports both custom rules (3E style features, most of the IWD2 systems) as well as classic BG rules at the same time (selectable during character creation), which makes the mod very compatible with existing mods (no problems with installing kits or even tweaks that change the ruleset via 2da files – those are ignored by "custom rules" characters)

Edited by K4thos

Thanks for the update, @K4thos!

Oh wow. I'm rather blown away by those screens.  I was under the impression that the IWD1&2 content would be added to the AD&D 2nd ed rules of BG EET

Does this mean that, by having IWD-in-EET installed, our regular BG EET characters will have feats and skills available?  3rd ed multiclassing?  I saw a screen of Aerie's spell list. How does her Cleric/Mage combo work there? Am I going to be leveling up Keldorn in Watcher's keep and considering whether to take a level of fighter and get a new feat, and whether to spend his skill points on Persuasion or Intimidate?

For that matter, I also saw references to Wisdom improving Will saves and making cleric spells harder to resist (Spell DCs?).  I'm assuming that's just text used while making GUI changes, and not representative of that much engine overhaul, 3rd ed style.  Please correct if I'm mistaken!

I did see at character creation that one can select between Classic and 3rd edition, at least.

Sorry, mind boggled over here ...

Edited by Lightbringer
4 hours ago, Lightbringer said:

I saw a screen of Aerie's spell list. How does her Cleric/Mage combo work there?

If you look the picture with more care, you'll notice that the spells are in separate list between the two classes, just like in 2nd Ed.

I think that K4thos is taking a little too much with this... not that he couldn't do it, it's just that... never mind.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.