SR V4 Beta 18

Mike1072

On 6/12/2023 at 9:29 PM, Lianos said:

Can you please give a brief instruction how to install 4.19rc3? I'm on Windows 11. I tried to follow your instructions under README.md, but with no success.

Can you be more explicit about your difficulties? This is something so obvious, and even trivial to me, that I have a genuinely hard time gauging other people's difficulties and write up fool-proof instructions.

On 6/16/2023 at 2:46 PM, grodrigues said:

Can you be more explicit about your difficulties? This is something so obvious, and even trivial to me, that I have a genuinely hard time gauging other people's difficulties and write up fool-proof instructions.

1. I install BG to c:\BG
  2. I copy the spell_rev folder to c:\BG
  3. I open a command line, change directory to the BG installation dir and do weinstall spell_rev (cited your instruction here)
  4. I get an error: weinstall is an unknown command
  5. I switched to the referenced link:But there is no instruction for instlalling WeiDU on Windows. >> "For Windows and macOS players, WeiDU is included with mods. It’s not something you need to download yourself."
  6. I tried to install WeiDU anyway via https://github.com/WeiDUorg/weidu/releases but there is no installation file, only executables
  7. I tried to use the executables via command line, but without success - at this point I gave up and asked for help 🙂
4 hours ago, Lianos said:

tried to use the executables via command line

Why are you trying to do this from the command line? On Windows you can just double-click the executable, and most mods are packaged with the assumption players will do that. Don’t try to reinvent the wheel, here. 

17 hours ago, grodrigues said:

@subtledoctor

In response to my request for writing fool-proof instructions on using a source release that does not ship with an executable.

Something like, 

“Download Tweaks Anthology, copy ‘setup-CDTweaks.exe’ and rename the copy to ‘setup-Spell_rev.exe’”

…?

Or download the Weidu executable from Pocketplane, which I think has instructions for use? But honestly, grabbing another mod and renaming is easier. 

It would be cool if the base Weidu executable, when not renamed and run as “weidu.exe,” could look for local .tp2 files and present the user with a choice of what to install. Basically like early version of my MacOS Weidu Launcher. I suppose Weinstall is sort of meant to cover this use case? But it doesn’t seem very user friendly. 

Edited by subtledoctor
On 7/13/2023 at 4:42 PM, subtledoctor said:

Something like, 

“Download Tweaks Anthology, copy ‘setup-CDTweaks.exe’ and rename the copy to ‘setup-Spell_rev.exe’”

…?

I think this would be sufficient.

On 7/13/2023 at 4:42 PM, subtledoctor said:

Or download the Weidu executable from Pocketplane, which I think has instructions for use? But honestly, grabbing another mod and renaming is easier. 

I used the current version from Github. No instruction for my use case is included. This is why I failed. The simple "rename it"-solution is not documented. (Please remember I am an end user, so apologies for my brute force approach)

I did not stumbled across a link to pocketplane on my quest. However, pocketplane seems to point in the direction of github for newest version anyway.

Edited by Lianos

I have made a pull request for version 4b19, with three fixes:

• changed the op232 terms in Sleep so the wake-on-hit works reliably
  • changed the op232 terms in the AS1 bat weapons when enhanced by Magic Fang, so it doe not crash the game
  • added an IF_EXISTS condition to the Mirror Image Fix component, so that it will install even if it does not find SPPR951D.itm

I think those are the only three outstanding issues I can find mention of around here. I am technically a maintainer of the Github repo, but it seems kind of crass to accept ones' own pull request? Maybe. @Mike1072 @Bartimaeus @grodrigues if you want to take a look at it feel free. The changes are really extremely small. If everything looks good, and if there are not any other major issues to sort out, my inclination is to put this out as 4b19 RC5, and maybe even as the official 4b19. And maaaybe even as a proper v4.0? I see so many people using 4b18 (or even 3.1, the "official" version) and there have been sooo many fixes. Player should get the benefit of those fixes.

I was never really fond of the "RCx" part of the versioning, feel as though it just doesn't make itself immediately clear enough as to which of "4b19" or "4b19 RC5" is later/preferred. Kiiind of thought it should've always just been an immediate increment of the "b"...even if you get up to ridiculous numbers, "b120" will still always sound later than "b15", so that's alright.

The only thing I noticed that seemed to be a potential issue is that the resist type of the 232 opcode for Sleep isn't the same as the rest of the spell (type 2 instead of 1). It's an extremely minor issue, as it would lead to a creature that magic resist-ed the spell to get the "awaken" spell cast upon it upon taking damage...which wouldn't actually do anything, but still strikes me as inconsistent (also, does being "awoken" if you're already awake still play the animation? I'm not sure).

Alternatively, use this SPWI116 that also has a few more race-selected immunities for the sleep effect: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/scl/fi/pmfeqt3lqtgpwbdvk9yrs/spwi116.spl?rlkey=kt60nke95wrfvbs69p6wb412q&dl=0 From what I can tell, there should be no other differences.

Edited by Bartimaeus