EET Mod Install Order Guide (WIP)

Hi all,

In working toward large multi-mod EET installs, I started a list of mods with some info to help me work through compatibility issues.

With help from @Cahir and others, I got this to a useful state in late 2020, but neglected it throughout 2021 & 2022.

It is now back in active maintenance as I prep for another run.

Goals:

1. Provide a comprehensive list of EET compatible mods
  2. Allow players to quickly select preferred mods and get a viable install order
  3. Enable community updates to the list and order

Plan:
(In progress / complete)

1. Catalogue & classify all EET compatible mods
    • Include everything from the EET compatibility list
    • Review the Non-EET list (potentials have green names, also probably any portrait and sound mods)
    • Add recent compatible mods (need to add Skitia, Lava & Artemius' NPCs)
    • List whether mods include content for BG/SoD/SoA/ToB (columns AH-AK)
    • List mod category (D) and what it adds/modifies(/copies?) (S-AG)
  2. Include working download and discussion links
    • List both the author's preferred homepage (from .ini) and a dependable download link.
    • Remove and avoid unauthorised repos/drives/links
  3. Sort mods into a suggested install order
    • Sort by Category (D)
    • Review modname.ini metadata
    • Review ReadMe's & Forum threads
    • Split components for compatibility
  4. Add Tested Install Orders
    • Mark mods for my own mega install (column AL)
    • Test potential conflicts & unknown orders
    • Update notes (AM-AP)
    • Add a sheet or links to known working install orders (must include mod versions)
  5. Enable long-term maintenance (remove me as a single point of failure)

The guide is available here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tt4f-rKqkbk8ds694eJ1YcOjraZ2pISkkobqZ5yRcvI/edit?usp=sharing

Please comment in this thread or directly on the sheet with any additional info or suggested changes, this will improve more rapidly with collaborative effort.

Any and all feedback appreciated.

4udr4n

Edited by 4udr4n
New details
3 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Might want to Github instead.... or some other system that tracks changes.  Just in case somebody makes an error.

I've started reading about github, can it support spreadsheets or some kind of database? I went with this as the easiest way to get from the sheet I was using to something public, but it certainly has flaws.

@4udr4n
Just remember you can revert to previous versions on Google Docs/Sheets/Slides/etc. via Control-Alt-Shift-H OR File >> Version History >> See Version History.  From there, change to a previous version on file.

I also backed up the Google Sheet before editing anything.

The to-sort list should have the alternating white and gray backgrounds for cells as the main list does.

Edited by Endarire
Guest Warshed

Tried to sign up to the forum, but well, it kept saying I didn't pass the security check, no matter what I did. So here I am trying to post without registering.  Did you ever get your install list working @4udr4n?

On 4/11/2023 at 10:25 AM, Guest Warshed said:

Tried to sign up to the forum, but well, it kept saying I didn't pass the security check, no matter what I did. So here I am trying to post without registering.  Did you ever get your install list working @4udr4n?

Yes, ran well into BG2 with the old list with only avoidable issues (some mod-added content bugged/missing, some additional quests incompletable, core game fine).

I am now back and working on a new list, currently updating the sheet and reading through the many updates in the past 3 years!

This list needs some more work before it is recommendable.

EndlessBG1 needs to be installed before NPC (expansion) mods, especially Ajantis BG1 Expansion.
Grey the Dog should be installed late in the NPC section.
Install NPC mods after quest mods, especially if they (will) touch BG2 content. (My newer NPC mods will.)
Put Brage's Redemption into the NPC section.

BG1NPC Project should be before the BG1 friendship mods (especially before Ajantis BG1 Expansion).

Almateria's Restoration Project comes early, after Unfinished Business (which also comes early.)

Flirt Pack should be installed late, after all other NPC mods and Friendship mods.

Alternatives, Ding0's Questpack, G3 Anniversary mod, Fading Promises, and more: quest mods. Should be before NPC mods in quest mod section.
Same for Hidden Adventures.

jastey's SoD Tweak Pack: earlier, with quest mods, after EndlessBG1.
Imoen4 Ever: earlier, and after jastey's SoD tweaks.

The Cowled Menace and other mods: I am pretty sure that needs to come before EET_End.
This is also true for more mods: EET_End is too early on that list imho.

In general, listing the crossmod components of some mods as a separate install, or at least make a point in teh list where crossmod components/mods should go would be helpful for new players.

I'm not sure how to read this table. Do I see it right that this sugggests Cowled Menace being installed after EET_End?!

Awesome Soundsets don't work for EE 2.6, I've rebuilt their contents years ago, although my NPC voice counterpack and the NWN pack are still missing some sets to be truly complete. They also never worked for SoD or EET anyway, so I really don't understand why are they listed.

Scales go after SCS. Weapon proficiency tweaks always go after SCS, because SCS does a prof reallocation during it's initial step to tailor it to the current weapons and it isn't aware of the new systems installed by an external mod.

Tactics EE (eetact2) breaks the game via deleting the EE entries from the trigger.ids and action.ids and it shouldn't be considered EET compatible atleast, since this breaks SoD (personally I wouldn't consider it EE 2.0 compatible at all).

Dual-to-Kit should be later with only Enhanced Powergaming going after it. Level1 NPCs going after it is certainly wrong.

Convinient EE NPCs should be installed among NPC tweaks.

area_patcher? item_patcher? Are these the ArcaneCost/EE Mod Messup nondescripts which were written with a spoecific patchlevel in mind (which was either 2.3 or 2.5) and no longer do anything for 2.6?

The separate Arcane Archer mod shouldn't be listed, the Kitpack version is the current one.

Aurora isn't EE compatible unless you get Austin's variant.

I'm not convinced by Jimfix that it's needed, I highly suspect it bitrot.

Vault can't be installed without a warning due to a broken dialogue extension. Might be needed to reconverted from the BGT version outright. Actually, why are Roxanne variants of mods listed? There are only two mods where the Roxanne hackjobs remained relevant, because the "offiocial" versions are in worse state - Secret of Bone Hill and TDDz, and the latter is a ticking bomb anyway. All the other hackjobs shouldn't even be considered by a list... or better, none of them should?

Why is SoD2BG2IU listed in the BG1 section?

ToTLM should be installed among the quests, and yes, this means that IWDification's spell components should be installed among the quests as well. I mean, DSotSC-Trilogy's spell components also expect themselves going after IWDification's  (although PI atm won't report that as such).

This list should be taken down because it's confusing and full of misinformation. This is actively harmful.

8 hours ago, jastey said:

This list needs some more work before it is recommendable.

Hard agree, I am doing that work at the moment.

5 hours ago, Graion Dilach said:

This list should be taken down because it's confusing and full of misinformation. This is actively harmful.

I left it available with 3 editors, have been away from the community for years so it is now badly out of date.

I've taken it offline for now, hope to have it back shortly.

Hugely appreciate both of your input, all being updated now.

9 hours ago, Guest Granger77 said:

This list is awesome!! Thank you so much for working on this and putting it together!

I strongly recommend that you do not try to install based on this info, it is 3 years out of date and was unfinished then!

I'll have a new version out in a day or so, watch this space.