EET Mod Install Order Guide (WIP)

43 minutes ago, jastey said:

Thanks for that. Please do, please report bugs to the mods' forums. My blood pressure started building when I read "another BWP Fixpack" because I talked to Leonardo and talked and talked to please, please inform the original mod authors instead of just silently adding fixes (a few of them actually screwing something else).

The majority of mods has an official forum, so even if they don't get updated right away, the info is there and the bugfix can be integrated into the official package. We do not need BWPFixpack 2.0.

The aim is definitely not to have a BWPFixpack v2, but rather to be able to include patches for mods that haven't been updated for a while. This will ensure that installations have as few bugs as possible.
You'll notice that a large proportion of the patches have been retrieved from the official repositories, and I always credit the original author in the readme.

I still have a few bugs to report, so I'll take the time to do that soon.

2 hours ago, Alywena said:

The aim is definitely not to have a BWPFixpack v2, but rather to be able to include patches for mods that haven't been updated for a while.

Chaos Sorcerer? EET? NPC_EE? Refinements? MiH_EQ?

From my quick glimpse, the amount of mods whose authors are active enough to merge patches vastly outnumber the actually abandoned mods you're attempting to patch so I'm not buying this at all. I don't want my mods involved in this BWS-FR.

Edited by Graion Dilach

Regarding the list - Extended Animations should be depreciated outright, it's in EE 1.3 format. Deep Gnomes should be deleted, that's a trimmed version of Aurora's Shoes and Boots.

m7multikit should be before Dual-to-Kit and/or even replaced with sg_multikits. Dual-to-Kit should be after EET_end.

Edited by Graion Dilach
3 minutes ago, Graion Dilach said:

Regarding the list - Extended Animations should be depreciated outright, it's in EE 1.3 format. Deep Gnomes should be deleted, that's a trimmed version of Aurora's Shoes and Boots.

Done, thank you.

Those were in the non-eet list which probably needs a serious cleanup. I have barely touched it in years.

Edited by 4udr4n
being polite
4 hours ago, Graion Dilach said:

From my quick glimpse, the amount of mods whose authors are active enough to merge patches vastly outnumber the actually abandoned mods you're attempting to patch so I'm not buying this at all. I don't want my mods involved in this BWS-FR.

Thanks for being always so prompt to shout at people !

Did you take a look at the fixes ?

EET, it's a patch for the CorrectFr being integrated on the compat.tbl (Pull request sended and pending by the mod creator)

Chaos Sorcerer, only fl#add_kit_ee.tpa updated to the last version

Refinements, patch discovered and patched last week

MiH_EQ, one patch already pr and merged, second one is mostly polishing

NPC_EE, french translation until it is merged by the translator

I have participated to the discord conversation that mention the issue created by the old fixpack and @Alywena is committed to doing things right.

She follow every mod update and thread on the forum for ensure that everything is properly in place !

If something isn't PR yet it will be soon !

PS : Sorry @4udr4n to have disturbed your conversation again !!!

Edited by JohnBob
1 hour ago, Graion Dilach said:

I should have been more precise in what I said. But as I have a lot of trouble expressing myself in English, I'm trying to be concise (fortunately there is Deepl, but it can distort the meaning of sentences)
This is absolutely not an attempt to correct mods in place of the authors, I've already submitted several PRs to the authors, and I'll be submitting others in the future (a few examples):

- https://github.com/Argent77/A7-ChaosSorcerer/pull/4
- https://github.com/UnearthedArcana/refinements/pull/7
- https://github.com/AngelGryph/MadeInHeaven_EncountersAndQuests/pull/9
- https://github.com/TotoR115/Divine_Remix/pull/4
- https://github.com/Gibberlings3/SwordCoastStratagems/pull/54
- https://github.com/subtledoctor/ItemRevisions/pull/1
- https://github.com/subtledoctor/ItemRevisions/pull/2

The various active authors don't always have the time or inclination to quickly implement the proposed fixes. The patch may also not suit them, even if it's functional, for various reasons, such as the fact that they're fixing the problem in another way.

I should also point out that for the French version, we don't always use the latest versions, so patches are still useful in this case.
I'm not a translator, and I'm waiting for updated translations to become available (in a new version or in PR).

To sum up, the objectives of the fixpack are :
- To complement the BWS-FR, so that installations are of the highest possible quality. (it was recently made sandalone following several requests)
- To correct issue that are reported by players or detected by myself
- Patch mods that haven't been updated for a while
- To offer patches 'in advance' while the authors release new versions
- Fix problems specific to the French version

The projects are transparent and are intended to be community-based. Even though I'm the only one committing at the moment, a number of changes have been made in response to comments from other players and modders.
I don't use altered versions of the mods, I site the sources, I credit the authors of the patches, I take into account the community's comments and advice, and I'm all about sharing knowledge.
If I've made a mistake in my approach, I'm always ready to listen and correct it.

But that's getting way off the original topic, so if you want, we can discuss it privately or on a dedicated thread.

36 minutes ago, JohnBob said:

EET, it's a patch for the CorrectFr being integrated on the compat.tbl (Pull request sended and pending by the game creator)

I did look at the patches. That's why I know the EET entry also adds the EE Fixpack. Yes, that change is in master already, but that's only a preparation step and depite the fact I filed that months ago, I know that the end result back then led to EET installed with warnings (although atleast that allows installing) and I am still waiting for the first release to review what are the warnings and how to resolve them. That's exactly the kind of change which necessitates the transparency, because that shouldn't be backported to 13.4. Use master if you want EE Fixpack compat or if you already install the EE Fixpack through it.

EDIT: This is relevant because master has the SoD dragon breath fix after 13.4 and EE Fixpack also touches that (to fix sectypes on dragon breaths), so that is one clear case where this difference can already snowball.

Edited by Graion Dilach
23 minutes ago, Graion Dilach said:

That's why I know the EET entry also adds the EE Fixpack. Yes, that change is in master already

I don't know what to say... I thought the problem with the original fixpack was that it didn't take official versions into account.

EE Fixpack is flagged as Expert Mod (not recommended), but some people may want to install it (it's mostly for testers)...

In fact, this input was added during the first BWPFixpack tests, it is not intended for players.

I think you've already condemned the project.

I am sorry if you can't see the goodwill and dedication to the game and the community.

Ps : Maybe the last comments could be splited in another topic to not damage the subject of @4udr4n

Edited by JohnBob
58 minutes ago, JohnBob said:

NPC_EE, french translation until it is merged by the translator

Sorry, I don’t actually spend much time on Github except to quickly dash out an update, so sometimes pull requests end up sitting for a while. 

I was just thinking the other day that this .TRA file is quite short and east to translate, and I was surprised more people had not done so! I actually just added two lines to it, so the French version might need an update. But it might be something I can handle myself. 

@JohnBob @Alywena I offered a solution to this issue already - use EET master. ArcaneCoast these days also primarily use EET master with the Russian language packs (they also patch compat.tbl with their language pack, which actually was rejected by k4thos in https://github.com/Gibberlings3/EET/commit/9d6a8bd4d3bee3bb067aa144a9ccefe6063e1873 although that could only be because it also added back a ton of natively compatible mods back to the compat list) over 13.4 for their installs.

The problem isn't that EE Fixpack is offered or that EE Fixpack and EET are attempted to be combined (although I didn't actually looked at how are you installing EE Fixpack, to see if you install it to both games before EET). Actually, having beta reports could be useful in some cases, I accepted Arcanecoast bugreports about my EET patches.

Just don't combine EET 13.4 with EE Fixpack, really. 

Also, you'll soon run into problems with BWP anyway... because Microsoft announced the depreciation of VBScript.

EDIT: I even agreed with adding correctBG1fr to that list back then: https://github.com/Gibberlings3/EET/pull/84#issuecomment-1409238953

Edited by Graion Dilach
19 minutes ago, Graion Dilach said:

ArcaneCoast these days also primarily use EET master with the Russian language packs (they also patch compat.tbl with their language pack, which actually was rejected by k4thos in https://github.com/Gibberlings3/EET/commit/9d6a8bd4d3bee3bb067aa144a9ccefe6063e1873 although that could only be because it also added back a ton of natively compatible mods back to the compat list) over 13.4 for their installs.

Yes, that's the reason !

19 minutes ago, Graion Dilach said:

Just don't combine EET 13.4 with EE Fixpack, really. 

Yes, it's well received !

I myself use the master every time so this particular concern didn't occur to me, and since it's not recommended, no one noticed.

I think @Alywena, will up the donwload link shortly to use the master !

Since K4tos mentioned a release soon, waiting seemed safer. (But it's been a long time...)

It's always possible to make mistakes when trying to do things right but be assured that BWS-FR's intention is to be useful in every way.

And I trust Alywena, every issues / questions / or anything else will be taken into account.

Edited by JohnBob
19 minutes ago, Delior said:

@Graion Dilach: Out of curiosity, do you use EET master for your own personal builds? I'm still new at this and so I'm generally hesitant to use anything but official releases, but I couldn't help but notice that it has been a long time since the last EET official release and a lot of commits since then.  

I do, but keep in mind that I own ca. half of the patches submitted to EET since 13.4, so my own motivation is partially to betatest my own patches.

12 minutes ago, JohnBob said:

I actually missed this comment. I'll prolly file a patch to revert the EE Fixpack compat then. I really wouldn't let that bleed into a release for now.  (Ideally, I would attempt getting a new EET release tagged and tied to EE Fixpack.) Thanks!

Edited by Graion Dilach