Please check my install list (2.6 EET)

@Lava

So, in my current playthrough the Firewine Bridge and the corresponding dungeon are wild magic areas. And they stay that way at all times. Looking at the corresponding script, this might be unintended? By the way, this made the fights with Kahrk and the ogre magi and the mage in the dungeon significantly easier 😆

IF
	!GlobalTimerNotExpired("WildmagicTimer","BG4500")  // Firewine Bridge
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		ApplySpell(Player1,WILD_MAGIC_AREA)  // SPIN645.SPL (No such index)
		SetGlobalTimer("WildmagicTimer","BG4500",14)  // Firewine Bridge

What I did: entered the dungeon fot the first time from Gullykin, cleared that (already wild magic area) exited in gullykin to complete the quest, got back into the dungeon then into the bridge area, cleared that too, found

Spoiler

the three old bastard swords and got them all back into the chest, quest completes correctly,

then stayed a bit longer and fought Karhk. All the while this is a wild magic area, even if I leave and return.

It's not a bug. This is the area of wild magic and the sword quest has nothing to do with it :) As we can read at the Frogotten Realms Wiki page:

Firewine Bridge was once an elven trading town, but it was destroyed around 1168 DR in a sorcerous battle.[1] By 1368 DR, "Firewine Bridge" was a fallow field of overgrown rubble dominated by a large area of wild magic. The sorcerous battle was so mighty that it not only leveled the elven town, it also altered the course of the stream over which the bridge crossed.

The small settlement of Gullykin rested hard up against the rubble field and was partially affected by the area of wild magic.

So this is to make this area different to others and the battles / encounters there may need different kind of approach if you have mages in your group. And still, the area isn't THAT important and isn't visited THAT often so it won't be too annoying.

So nope, that's not a bug. Keep your swords and daggers ready, as you may need those ;)

Edited by Lava
8 hours ago, Lava said:

It's not a bug.

Oh, ok. Cool. Didn't know that. And it's totally not annoying, just different. If I may offer a suggestion, this change should be documented in the readme; not only does it seem a bit arbitrary (it's not tied to a quest, as you said), but it makes one of the 'boss fights' of the game (Kahrk) a lot easier, or at least cheesy, since the only choice I had was to wait for the SCS-added protections to wear off, and then gang-rush him, while any high level spell he attempted to cast was negated by a wild surge. Not to mention the final fight in the Firewine dungeon, which was basically a joke. Sure, wild surges go both ways, but it's random.

My point is, since those fights are almost all about luck now, not strategy (which is probably bad for a lot of players who mod their games) it might be detrimental for Shades of the Sword Coast, which is an awsome, awsome mod.

Sorry for the small rant, just felt like giving my opinions on this.

42 minutes ago, Gwaihir said:

this change should be documented in the readme

It is:

III. TWEAKS AND FIXES:

To work properly and improve the gaming experience the mod also includes a few tweaks and fixes. These are:

1) Fixed flaming short swords animations when used off-hand;
2) Fixed the original hooded monk paper doll
3) Made Firewine Bridge a Wild Magic area (lore-friendly tweak)
4) Added Small Spiders and Wild Magic Area files for games without SoD
5) Added various creatures to existing areas: wererat, werebadger, snake, pirate, otyugh, minotaur, goblins, bugbear, beholder

If someone decides that making 2 minor encounters more random (both ways, as you said yourself) is a deal-breaker, it's fine with me. I took that risk and documented it. The mod adds 35+ quests and encounters and 50+ new areas to the game so I think I offered much for something that's lore-friendly anyway :)

Edited by Lava

Counterargument: Introducing lore-accurate wild magic zones is among the the reasons why SotSC is great because it it adds these details sensibly. Yep, people should read the readme, there was a guy in reddit half a year ago who was also thrown off by it, but one can't fix that when the doc mentions it already.

5 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Sounds like a very cool change! Though I wonder if it would be possible to patch Kahrk’s script to use some tactics that could overcome wild magic (use potions, or something). One would think he is smart enough to adapt...

I actually have a different idea, I may adapt it at some point, but there are some other updates I'd rather push first ;)

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

Sounds like a very cool change!

I actually agree. By the way, while fighting Kahrk I noticed that some spells seemed to be immune to the wild magic. Particularly beetle swarm and spider swarm worked 100% of the times without triggering surges.

10 hours ago, Gwaihir said:

My point is, since those fights are almost all about luck now, not strategy (which is probably bad for a lot of players who mod their games) it might be detrimental for Shades of the Sword Coast, which is an awsome, awsome mod.

My strategy for thoses two fights didn't change with SotSC : using Arrows of Slaying against them.