IR V2 release

Demivrgvs

I'll just throw in many random things (some are already implemented, others not yet), so that you can help me with the huge refining and rebalancing work I'm currently doing.

Will try if I get version 2 faster :p

Amulet of Spell Warding: being it used in mage duels what about having it grant Protection From Spells (e.g. Silence 15' radius, Miscast Magic, Greater Malison, Lower Resistance, ...). Any suggestion?

Silence is widely used now.... what about adding 5% to magic resistance?

Axe of the Unyelding +3/+4: both versions now grant +10 hit points instead of +1 CON, the +4 version no longer grants +2 to AC but "only" +1.

I like the nerfed Axe, but what about decreasing regen for the +4 to 3 hp/turn also? We agree that with the + 1 con removed there may be no potentially saving throws bonus anymore??

Ardulia's Fall +1: it's a hard to obtain item, I think we may give it a +2 enchantment.

Agrees

Gnasher +2: slivers damage reduced from 8 to 4.

eerrm depending on how you implement it: 2 hp/ 2 turns no please, 1 hp / 4 turns is ok with me.

Flail of Submission +2: I'd give to the new flail one or two simple combat abilities: one could be Wounding (-1 to target's CON unless he saves vs. death), what about the other? Being FoA so easily available I would opt for not having a +1 enchanted Flail, as it would be pointless imo.

What about an aura of fear or something like that?

Gloves of the Burglar: I'd add something to make them appealing, what about reneming them Gloves of the Rogue and adding Precise Strike (+5% chance to score critical hits) while equipped.

I'd rather like you to add 20% bonus to all thieving skills.

Gloves of Healing: what about something completely new? Cure 1 hit point on a succesfull hit instead of Renegeration while equipped. ;)

That seems too vampiric to me :hm: what about ince per day an instant healing of self or instant healing of 50% of wearers hp if wearer goes below 25% hp?

Gauntlets of Weapon Skill/Expertise/Specialization: as I said I don't like items which are just improved versions of one another. What about making them so that they grant different combat style bonuses? One could give a Parry ability (+ AC vs. melee weapons), the other one could give Power Attack (-x thac0, +2x damage), and the last one Flurry of Blows (+1/2 apr and maybe something else too). What do you think?

Seems fine to put new abilities to these gauntlets, but what of renaming them according to their new usage?

Silvan Chain +2: instead of the common bonuses it now has, what about +2 AC and saves against unnatural creatures (monsters and undead), and maybe letting it be usable by druids and Beastmasters?

I like the AC and saves bonuses, but I'd rather that it was only usable by elfs. That's because I'd like more racerestricted items ingame.

Cloak of Displacement: I have to remove the "cast spell on condition" effect. Its current abilities are +2 to AC and 1 sort of blurred stoneskin per encounter. I may add something like +x AC vs. missiles and split the bonuses between "while equipped" and a "cast spell once per encounter" header.

Fine

Helm of Glory: unfortunately I have to remove the "cast spell on condition" effect. Granting Bless while equipped is quite less than before...any suggestion?

What about a luck bonus instead? I don't think you have to add too much..

Staff of Rynn +3: Mike suggested me a really cool ability, which involves adding a ranged ability. I'd personally make it fire a magic missile! ;) I'm opening the elemental staffs to fighters, thus restricting this one to mages if we add such ability would be appropriate.

Like whacking at a distance as found on one of the staffs in Weimers underrepresentated weaponspack? Don't ??? otherwise it seems reasonable to restrict it to mages/clerics/druids...

Staff of Air/Earth/Fire +2: what about making them slightly more geared toward melee fight? The Flaming property of the Staff of Fire is fine imo, perhaps an Entangle ability on hit for the Staff of Earth, and something related to a small Whirlwind for the Staff of Air. Let me know.

Staff of Earth could ad an extra crushing bonus rather than the entangle effect...

Rashad's Talon +2: it probably needs to be slightly nerfed, I may either remove one of its abilities (Sunder Armor, and Cleave) or keep both of them reducing their effectiveness (e.g. shorter duration, lower %, ...).

Remove the sunder effect as I find the cleave chance enough.

Ilbratha +1: unfortunately I have to remove the "cast spell on condition" effect, thus I either make the Blur effect permanent (which is annoying imo), or I have to find another ability tied to the Illusion school. A +1 to AC plus 5% chance to cast Mislead? :) Alternatively I may simply replace the blur effect with a semi-invisibility one (translucent effect), and we may also tie the Mirror Image effect to the attacks (you know I don't like spell headers on weapons because they can be used without having the weapon equipped).

What about adding two mirror images, wich if removed somehow reappears after 1 turn per image?

Blade of Roses +1: I have to remove the "cast spell on condition" effect, but in this case I prefer it anyway. The Singing Sword effect will be appplied swinging the blade in battle (on hit) instead of just by equipping the sword. The Immunity to Silence has been removed, and the Charisma bonus is too easily exploitable imo, thus a +1 should be enough.

+ 1 to charisma is good enough. You could add one enchantment point also...

Namarra +2: unfortunately I have to remove the "cast spell on condition" effect, and make it cast Silence 15' radius on hit (which may have a higher chance to affect the target actually, but can be blocked via PfMW).

Ok

Purifier +4/+5: I'd like to remove the Dispelling property in order to keep Carsomyr more appealing (it has to be). Any suggestion? Chance to cast Holy Word on hit? :)

In the name of nerfs just remove the dispelling ability. You could add an ability to cast Miscast Magic.

Spider's Bane +2: Free action reduced to immunity to web effects, added immunity to poison.

:)

Sword of Chaos +2: no more vampiric effect. Immunity to fear, and either +6 damage vs. lawful creatures or +2 vs. non-chaotic, +4 vs. lawful. Any other suggestion?

The latter is good enough for me.

Carsomyr +4/+5: it still needed to be nerfed imo. On the +4 version I've reduced Magic Resistance by 5% (down to 20% which is still a great amount), and the damage vs. evil creatures is reduced from 6 to 3 (still better than vanilla's +5 vs. chaotic evil only). The upgraded Carsomyr will have +5% magic resistance, +3 damage vs. evil and the old improvements to Dispelling abilities. I have to remove the "cast spell on condition" effect, thus no more Holy Aura. It's still the most heavily enchanted 2handed sword, but I think now it finally is "balanced".

You could easily remove another 5% of magic resistance.

Don't be shy and throw in any suggestion you'd like to see implemented, I may have no time to reply to all, but I'll surely read and take into account anything. ;)

Regards

Staff of Rynn +3: Mike suggested me a really cool ability, which involves adding a ranged ability. I'd personally make it fire a magic missile! :) I'm opening the elemental staffs to fighters, thus restricting this one to mages if we add such ability would be appropriate.

Like whacking at a distance as found on one of the staffs in Weimers underrepresentated weaponspack? Don't ;) otherwise it seems reasonable to restrict it to mages/clerics/druids...

Care to explain why you'd dislike this? I've not used Under-represented Weapons before.

Something I have wondered about is would it be worthwhile to make a sword of

chaos that will only work on lawful or neutral opponents. if you try to use it on

chaotic ones you get the 'weapon has no effect' message. I don't know how

doable that is, either. But it would surprise people. :)

Staff of Rynn +3: Mike suggested me a really cool ability, which involves adding a ranged ability. I'd personally make it fire a magic missile! :) I'm opening the elemental staffs to fighters, thus restricting this one to mages if we add such ability would be appropriate.

Like whacking at a distance as found on one of the staffs in Weimers underrepresentated weaponspack? Don't ;) otherwise it seems reasonable to restrict it to mages/clerics/druids...

Care to explain why you'd dislike this? I've not used Under-represented Weapons before.

IMO it is very overpowered as enemies really couldn't do diddly squat against it if you just keept your mage in the background.

IMO it is very overpowered as enemies really couldn't do diddly squat against it if you just keept your mage in the background.

I don't see how that's different from other ranged weapons. Our weapon would have a realistic THAC0 modifier and low damage. The idea behind it is to give mages something to do that doesn't involve running towards enemy fighters and to bring in a little bit of the abilities of wizard's staffs found in other lore.

Edit: My favourite part of this is the projectile effects - I originally wanted to do this to all staffs for another mod with different projectiles for each one, but I didn't think I'd ever get around to making that mod.

As promised I've done a good amount of work...most items are done, and most of the work involving usability flags is done.

Gauntlets of Weapon Skill/Expertise/Specialization

Jarno,

you do understand that by saying -x thac0 +2x damage I mean for example -2 thac0 +4 damage, and not a x2 multiplier, right?

Gauntlets of Weapon Skill/Expertise/Specialization: as I said I don't like items which are just improved versions of one another. What about making them so that they grant different combat style bonuses? One could give a Parry ability (+ AC vs. melee weapons), the other one could give Power Attack (-x thac0, +2x damage), and the last one Flurry of Blows (+1/2 apr and maybe something else too). What do you think?
... gauntlets of weapon skill should give bonuses as 1 star in weapon. So reduce penalties from lack of skill to 0.

... gauntlets of weapon mastery, yes yes yes, what do you think about item which grants 3 stars in all weapons? I know that if someone have 5 stars, it will be reduced - that's why it's fun. And available only for fighters.

But thief + UAI exploit... hm.

I like it, though I would limit it to some weapon type (e.g. one pair of gauntlets may allow ++ in edged weapons, the other one in blunt weapons). "Modify proficiency" won't reduce it if a character already has more...but I would have to test how it works during a level up, it may mess up proficiencies if you add a proficiency point to a weapon while equipping an item which grants you more points than you should have for that weapon.

Seems fine to put new abilities to these gauntlets, but what of renaming them according to their new usage?
Obviously! :)

Throwing Weapons

Regarding items that can be thrown or used to melee, I remember reading something about you allowing us to switch between versions so that we could still dual wield (I only remember this being mentioned with regard to the Crom Faeyr). Do the other weapons that can be thrown or used to melee (e.g. Dagger of the Star +5) have the same option i.e. we can dual wield with them if we want?
All weapons of this type were included in IR V1, though unfortunately Crom Fayer was bugged (you should use only the first version in IR V1). Daggers (e.g. Dagger of the Star +5) are treated slightly different as they don't have a "hybrid form" with both headers, one version is melee-only with 1apr, the other is ranged-only with 2apr. This way I also fixed a well known issue!

Amulet of Spell Warding

...being it used in mage duels what about having it grant Protection From Spells (e.g. Silence 15' radius, Miscast Magic, Greater Malison, Lower Resistance, ...). Any suggestion?
Silence is widely used now.... what about adding 5% to magic resistance?
Do you mean SCS uses Silence? Anyway, already other two amulets grant magic resistance, thus I'd say no. I prefer to select a few spells to be protected from, or something else entirely.

Axe of the Unyelding +3/+4

I like the nerfed Axe, but what about decreasing regen for the +4 to 3 hp/turn also? We agree that with the + 1 con removed there may be no potentially saving throws bonus anymore??
You do know I'm talking about turns (10 rounds) and not rounds, do you? I have no problem with it, it was just a very little incentive.

By "potential saving throws granted by CON" you mean the ones for dwarves/halfling/gnomes? Than yes.

Gnasher +2

...slivers damage reduced from 8 to 4.
eerrm depending on how you implement it: 2 hp/ 2 turns no please, 1 hp / 4 turns is ok with me.
I'm not sure...I do prefer the former, but I'd be glad to hear more opinions.

Flail of Submission +2

I'd give to the new flail one or two simple combat abilities: one could be Wounding (-1 to target's CON unless he saves vs. death), what about the other? Being FoA so easily available I would opt for not having a +1 enchanted Flail, as it would be pointless imo.
What about an aura of fear or something like that?
You may not know then that I'm currently working to remove as much aura-like effects as I can...as unfortunately having a lot of them causes issues. ;)

Gloves of the Burglar

I'd add something to make them appealing, what about reneming them Gloves of the Rogue and adding Precise Strike (+5% chance to score critical hits) while equipped.
I'd rather like you to add 20% bonus to all thieving skills.
Actually my point is that thieving skills are used only out-of battle, and I'd prefer the item to be "permanently" equipped instead of just equipped to pickpocket someone.

Gloves of Healing

...what about something completely new? Cure 1 hit point on a succesfull hit instead of Renegeration while equipped. ;)
That seems too vampiric to me :hm: what about ince per day an instant healing of self or instant healing of 50% of wearers hp if wearer goes below 25% hp?
The former suggestion is an ability which doesn't require the charater to wield the Gloves except for a few seconds per day (though I may call it cheat I'd prefer to avoid it). The latter suggestion involves "cast spell on condition", which I already said is generally better left alone because of hardcoded issues/bugs.

Silvan Chain +2

...instead of the common bonuses it now has, what about +2 AC and saves against unnatural creatures (monsters and undead), and maybe letting it be usable by druids and Beastmasters?
I like the AC and saves bonuses, but I'd rather that it was only usable by elfs. That's because I'd like more racerestricted items ingame.
I would never remove the elf restriction! :)

Staff of Rynn +3

Making it able to have a ranged effect which inflicts 1d4+1 damage surely isn't is overpowered. We're talking about an ability which works just like a throwing or ranged weapon, only that you throw a magic missile instead of an axe or bullet. Furthermore it woudln't even allow strength damage bonuses, thus most unique throwing/ranged weapons are probably much more powerful.

Staff of Air/Earth/Fire +2

...what about making them slightly more geared toward melee fight? The Flaming property of the Staff of Fire is fine imo, perhaps an Entangle ability on hit for the Staff of Earth, and something related to a small Whirlwind for the Staff of Air. Let me know.
Staff of Earth could ad an extra crushing bonus rather than the entangle effect...
A plain +3 crushing damage? Uninspiring imo, but perhaps it's just me.

Purifier +4/+5

...I'd like to remove the Dispelling property in order to keep Carsomyr more appealing (it has to be). Any suggestion? Chance to cast Holy Word on hit? :)
In the name of nerfs just remove the dispelling ability. You could add an ability to cast Miscast Magic.
The sword does need a on hit ability to avoid having it as a "mere off-hand weapon". Miscast Magic doesn't seem so appropriate for a paladin...

Shield of the Falling Stars +1

you have a shield that shields your allies as well. Will that need to be removed?
If possible it would be better...it's unfortunate but reducing aura-like effects is needed to reduce issues caused by them. ???

Elemental Damage

Are you going to nerf a litlle elemental damages in V2? I think especially about some axes easily obtainable whith 1D6 elemantal damages
This is a quite recurrent thing, let's make a poll about it in a separate topic.

Demivrgvs, could you please post an updated list with the remaining items still left?

Also, with IR installed, can you confirm that we do not need to install the OBC component from BG2 Fixpack "Mixed-use dagger fixes"?

Thanks!

Demivrgvs, could you please post an updated list with the remaining items still left?

Also, with IR installed, can you confirm that we do not need to install the OBC component from BG2 Fixpack "Mixed-use dagger fixes"?

I'll se what I can do about the list (I'll update the first page one of this topic), anyway as long as V2 isn't out we can discuss any item.

Indeed "Mixed-use dagger fixes" from Tweak Pack is no longer needed with IR.

From Fixpack's readme "Daggers that can be used in melee and thrown are an irresolvable bug: when thrown, daggers should get an extra attack per round, but there's no way to apply this bonus without also granting it when he dagger is being used in melee. This component grants the extra attack but at the expense of removing melee abilities."

I've removed too the melee ability, but I've added to each throwing dagger a header to create a melee-only .itm file of the respective dagger.

Gauntlets of Weapon Skill/Expertise/Specialization

Jarno, you do understand that by saying -x thac0 +2x damage I mean for example -2 thac0 +4 damage, and not a x2 multiplier, right?

No, or on what it's based on? If it's based on the base weapon damage, it should be at least +2d4 not +4, and in case of large creatures it's +2d6 for daggers.

And indeed, you need to be clearer on what the damage is based on. Or you'll get the lunatics complaints of (((5' + ((1 + 6') / 2) + 4') * 5'') + 5''' + 5'''')* 3' = 217.5 instead of the real (5' + ((1 + 6')*3'/2)+ 4') * 5'') + 5''' + 5''''=107.5, or the even (5' + ((1 + 6')/2)+ 4') * 5'') + 5''' + 5''''+2*(1+6)/2=79.5 (if it's external damage) :)(PS: we are talking about backstab damage)

Amulet of Spell Warding: being it used in mage duels what about having it grant Protection From Spells (e.g. Silence 15' radius, Miscast Magic, Greater Malison, Lower Resistance, ...). Any suggestion?

I was wondering if it would be possible to have the Amulet of Spell Warding absorb an X levels of (non-area) spells and then "recharge" itself after a Y number of turns.

Axe of the Unyelding +3/+4: both versions now grant +10 hit points instead of +1 CON, the +4 version no longer grants +2 to AC but "only" +1.

Ardulia's Fall +1: it's a hard to obtain item, I think we may give it a +2 enchantment.

I agree.

Gnasher +2: slivers damage reduced from 8 to 4.

I agree.

Flail of Submission +2: I'd give to the new flail one or two simple combat abilities: one could be Wounding (-1 to target's CON unless he saves vs. death), what about the other? Being FoA so easily available I would opt for not having a +1 enchanted Flail, as it would be pointless imo.

Being a "Flail of Submission" I would grant it a small chance (1%?) of dominating the target (more or less as for fifth level spell "Dominion") upon successful hit.

Gloves of the Burglar: I'd add something to make them appealing, what about reneming them Gloves of the Rogue and adding Precise Strike (+5% chance to score critical hits) while equipped.

Your idea is not bad but I would rather keep its name and have it grant a "+5% to Dexterity" instead.

Gloves of Healing: what about something completely new? Cure 1 hit point on a succesfull hit instead of Renegeration while equipped. :)

I liked them the way they were in version 1. I am against changing them.

I find your revision for such gauntlets to be a very good idea. I approve it and I wish you can change them just the way you have proposed above.

Silvan Chain +2: instead of the common bonuses it now has, what about +2 AC and saves against unnatural creatures (monsters and undead), and maybe letting it be usable by druids and Beastmasters?

I like your bonus changes but I would restrict this armor to elves and half-elves (if the IR's description hints at it so strongly as the vanilla one). By the way, it is Sylvan with "y".

Cloak of Displacement: I have to remove the "cast spell on condition" effect. Its current abilities are +2 to AC and 1 sort of blurred stoneskin per encounter. I may add something like +x AC vs. missiles and split the bonuses between "while equipped" and a "cast spell once per encounter" header.

I welcome your proposed change.

Helm of Glory: unfortunately I have to remove the "cast spell on condition" effect. Granting Bless while equipped is quite less than before...any suggestion?

Yes, I do have a suggestion. A small chance (1%?) of turning the wearer into a Hero by triggering Tenser's Transformation for every time any physical damage is inflicted upon him/her. If this is impossible because it is another "cast spell on condition" effect, then turn it into a "Tenser's Transformation" 1 / day (less nice but still good enough).

Staff of Rynn +3: Mike suggested me a really cool ability, which involves adding a ranged ability. I'd personally make it fire a magic missile! ;) I'm opening the elemental staffs to fighters, thus restricting this one to mages if we add such ability would be appropriate.

;)

Staff of Air/Earth/Fire +2: what about making them slightly more geared toward melee fight? The Flaming property of the Staff of Fire is fine imo, perhaps an Entangle ability on hit for the Staff of Earth, and something related to a small Whirlwind for the Staff of Air. Let me know.

I like it.

Rashad's Talon +2: it probably needs to be slightly nerfed, I may either remove one of its abilities (Sunder Armor, and Cleave) or keep both of them reducing their effectiveness (e.g. shorter duration, lower %, ...).

Don't remove any of their abilities. It's perfectly fine to reduce their effectiveness.

Ilbratha +1: unfortunately I have to remove the "cast spell on condition" effect, thus I either make the Blur effect permanent (which is annoying imo), or I have to find another ability tied to the Illusion school. A +1 to AC plus 5% chance to cast Mislead? :hm: Alternatively I may simply replace the blur effect with a semi-invisibility one (translucent effect), and we may also tie the Mirror Image effect to the attacks (you know I don't like spell headers on weapons because they can be used without having the weapon equipped).

I like the alternate solution much better than the first.

Blade of Roses +1: I have to remove the "cast spell on condition" effect, but in this case I prefer it anyway. The Singing Sword effect will be appplied swinging the blade in battle (on hit) instead of just by equipping the sword. The Immunity to Silence has been removed, and the Charisma bonus is too easily exploitable imo, thus a +1 should be enough.

Decent changes but what about adding "Vocalize" (available 1 / day) too?

Namarra +2: unfortunately I have to remove the "cast spell on condition" effect, and make it cast Silence 15' radius on hit (which may have a higher chance to affect the target actually, but can be blocked via PfMW).

Okay.

Purifier +4/+5: I'd like to remove the Dispelling property in order to keep Carsomyr more appealing (it has to be). Any suggestion? Chance to cast Holy Word on hit? ???

Yes, the dispelling property ought to be removed but the Holy Word on hit doesn't seem so good either. Hm... What about a minor version of "Disintegrate" (tweaked so that the target receive a +4 bonus) for every successful hit on evil-aligned enemies (or some more specific kind of evil enemies)?

Spider's Bane +2: Free action reduced to immunity to web effects, added immunity to poison.

Sword of Chaos +2: no more vampiric effect. Immunity to fear, and either +6 damage vs. lawful creatures or +2 vs. non-chaotic, +4 vs. lawful. Any other suggestion?

Go for the first (+6 damage vs. lawful creatures).

Carsomyr +4/+5: it still needed to be nerfed imo. On the +4 version I've reduced Magic Resistance by 5% (down to 20% which is still a great amount), and the damage vs. evil creatures is reduced from 6 to 3 (still better than vanilla's +5 vs. chaotic evil only). The upgraded Carsomyr will have +5% magic resistance, +3 damage vs. evil and the old improvements to Dispelling abilities. I have to remove the "cast spell on condition" effect, thus no more Holy Aura. It's still the most heavily enchanted 2handed sword, but I think now it finally is "balanced".

Have it like this for now and we will see.

Keep it up! ;)

Archived