Feedback

Two questions before I seriously start to design a possible alternative for these two spells:

1) do we want to keep the HD limits?

2) save, or no save?

1. I never liked HD limits. High levels give you enough advantages as it is (better saves, more HP, more spells, etc). IMHO there's no need to artificially add direct level advantages - you should use your level bonuses yourself wisely to gain them.

2. Save, at some reasonable penalty for a spell at this level (I guess -4?)

@Toxin see my post above, we probably wrote at the same time. Btw, Spell Deflection works against pretty much averything unless you don't like the AoE tweak, but I guess I cannot count on an optional component even if recommended.

Yeah I play without it :)
Edited by toxin

@Jarno Chant 2, The Revenge? :D

Well a little bit yeah, but it's just a though.

Two questions before I seriously start to design a possible alternative for these two spells:

1) do we want to keep the HD limits?

2) save, or no save?

If it doesn't have a save, be it level 1 or 99 spell, it's far more preferable to have lesser -effect than .. yeah you are pretty much dead now/useless -effect in area spells.

1) Don't really care. ->2

2) Depends on the effect, my version was without any saves, or even need to motion of magic, but if you make the effect like it's now, then it definitely needs a save, dice etc how ever you consider the other effects the best applied.

It could be an unsummon etc at the same time too. You haven't failed really badly, except in the power levels of the summons... :p :p :p :p ... yeah, I said that just to show you the tongue again. :D

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Forgot to say, for the record, I'm in favor of GoW dispersing insects only in a 5' radius - the same radius as the knockback effect. So you could use it for yourself and maybe one persons standing next to you, but most of the party would still be affected. This way Creeping Doom retains some power.

I don't love the idea of GoW being wizard-only, and ZoSA being priest (druid?)-only. Here again, like with Blindness and Obscruing Mist, both spells are distinct and useful and I'd rather just see GoW *added* rather than *replace* the old spell. I think both spells would be particularly appropriate for druids, as they both seem to be within the province of Elemental Air.

But as for what you propose *doing* with ZoSA, I like that it would prevent cloud-based spells for some time, rather than just dispersing them. I suggest a small AoE (~10-15 feet) so party members would have to huddle close to the caster to get the benefit of the Sweet Air - if that's possible to code. (As I think about it, it may not be possible.)

As for Holy Word, I think that

1) HD limits are not a great mechanic in general

2) A save might be okay, but probably at -4 penalty or something - while it was argued that HW should "only be as powerful as other 7th level spells, I'll remind everyone that these are the most powerful spells available to priests, and the game often equates them with higher-level wizard spells (priests get TS at 5th level, Gate at 7th level)

3) The effects should adversely impact everyone, not just casters

4) I'm always in favor of bad effects, save for less-bad effects - instead of bad effects, save for no effect.

But as for what you propose *doing* with ZoSA, I like that it would prevent cloud-based spells for some time, rather than just dispersing them. I suggest a small AoE (~10-15 feet) so party members would have to huddle close to the caster to get the benefit of the Sweet Air - if that's possible to code. (As I think about it, it may not be possible.)

It's possible.

while it was argued that HW should "only be as powerful as other 7th level spells, I'll remind everyone that these are the most powerful spells available to priests, and the game often equates them with higher-level wizard spells

I agree, there is definitely a consistency/balance issue here. Why take Chaos which is wizard lvl 7 if you can take Symbol of Stunning which is lvl8 or indeed Gate which is lvl9? I suspect a bigger refactoring is required to fix this situation.. maybe a weakened Gate spell or an improved Chaos spell.. something to bring them all to about the same power level.

BTW a big factor to consider regarding elixirs of health - my statements about shortage of elixirs may have been exaggerated (I'll admit to being a bit on the cheap side :)) but the fact remains that some people don't play with IR (I'm one of them, don't shoot!). I'll go as far as to suggest that SR change some key items/potions to work better with the spell changes, and start with elixirs of health / antidotes - something to counter deafness.

while it was argued that HW should "only be as powerful as other 7th level spells, I'll remind everyone that these are the most powerful spells available to priests, and the game often equates them with higher-level wizard spells

I agree, there is definitely a consistency/balance issue here. Why take Chaos which is wizard lvl 7 if you can take Symbol of Stunning which is lvl8 or indeed Gate which is lvl9? I suspect a bigger refactoring is required to fix this situation.. maybe a weakened Gate spell or an improved Chaos spell.. something to bring them all to about the same power level.

Nope.

See the games original games 9th level mage spell was the "same" level 7 cleric spell, this was due to balancing. There was nothing wrong with that... after all the mage and clerics progressed at a different rates in XP.

Now as it's now, this is more of a balance issue in the Kit Revisions than in Spell Revisions. Due to the face that it's planned to have a same XP table across the class division. But those things can be balanced there, for example the clerics could get more Hit Point while the mages get more levels of spells. More spells per smaller spells etc etcet eetectdctetecetcetc.

See the games original games 9th level mage spell was the "same" level 7 cleric spell, this was due to balancing. There was nothing wrong with that... after all the mage and clerics progressed at a different rates in XP.

My problem is not with clerics getting spells from higher wizard levels, rather with the inconsistency inside the cleric spell levels themselves.

Think of it like this - would you use a 9th level spell slot to have your mage memorize a 7th level spell? Probably not...

GoW for insects and save for Holy word are absolutely required ofc i still want to have the % chance reduced, 50% is way way too imbalanced. 20 to 30% spell failure looks balanced because 20 or 30% to lose a rly important spell is a HUGE deal already. Current deafness is overpowred vs clerics/mages rly .

Btw, tested contagion. i cast 2 contagion at 1 elf with 17 con. They have managed to kill him. The last con i ve seen was 11. then he died. For some reason at one point CHA starts to take hit and since my chars have 3 CHA :D they die. Ah i see it is supposed to damage CHA thats ok.

Btw mage contagion is diffirent from the cleric contagion and more powerful (with a bigger spell level and effect).

Demi what is your opinion on the "all spells 1 or 0 casting speed" option? Its just an option, it wouldnt harm anyone who would choose to not install it? I want it so much or the mod similar to it.

Edited by geg_Ma3gau

... would you use a 9th level spell slot to have your mage memorize a 7th level spell? Probably not...

It totally depends on the spell. Sorcerer with a 9th level Resurrection Spell spell, hell yes.

Don't believe, well I made an divine wizard kit that has spells from all over, but can't learn new ones:

//////////////////////////////Spell sub-orders//////////////////////////////

DEFINE_PATCH_MACRO ~divine_spells_to_level_one~ BEGIN

PATCH_IF ("%SOURCE_SIZE%" > "0x71") BEGIN

READ_LONG 0x64 "abil_off" ELSE 0

READ_SHORT 0x68 "abil_num" ELSE 0

READ_ASCII ("%abil_off%" + 0x04) "bam" (8) // reads the bam filename from ability

WRITE_SHORT 0x1C 1 // sets spell type to Wizard (1)

WRITE_LONG 0x34 1 // sets spell level to 1

WRITE_EVALUATED_ASCII 0x3A "%bam%" #8 // writes the bam filename from abilities to spell icon

FOR ( index = 0 ; index < abil_num ; index = index + 1 ) BEGIN

WRITE_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x02 + (0x28 * "%index%")) 2 // changes ability icon location to spell (2) just incase

END

END

END

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR101.spl~ ~override/IJ#P101.spl~

LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~divine_spells_to_level_one~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR111.spl~ ~override/IJ#P111.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR107.spl~ ~override/IJ#P107.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR103.spl~ ~override/IJ#P103.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPWI110.spl~ ~override/IJ#P110.spl~ //not exactly divine but anyways

COPY_EXISTING ~SPWI103.spl~ ~override/IJ#P104.spl~ //not exactly divine but anyways

///////////////

DEFINE_PATCH_MACRO ~divine_spells_to_level_two~ BEGIN

READ_ASCII ("%abil_off%" + 0x04) "bam" (8) // reads the bam filename from ability

WRITE_LONG 0x34 2 // sets spell level to 2

WRITE_EVALUATED_ASCII 0x3A "%bam%" #8 // writes the bam filename from abilities to spell icon

WRITE_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x02 + (0x28 * "%index%")) 2 // changes ability icon location to spell (2) just incase

END

END

END

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR108.spl~ ~override/IJ#P108.spl~

LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~divine_spells_to_level_two~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR109.spl~ ~override/IJ#P109.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR105.spl~ ~override/IJ#P105.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR113.spl~ ~override/IJ#P113.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR201.spl~ ~override/IJ#P201.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR203.spl~ ~override/IJ#P108.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR204.spl~ ~override/IJ#P204.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR205.spl~ ~override/IJ#P205.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR209.spl~ ~override/IJ#P209.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPWI112.spl~ ~override/IJ#P112.spl~ //not exactly divine but anyways

COPY_EXISTING ~SPWI124.spl~ ~override/IJ#P124.spl~ //not exactly divine but anyways

COPY_EXISTING ~SPWI222.spl~ ~override/IJ#P222.spl~ //not exactly divine but anyways

///////////////

DEFINE_PATCH_MACRO ~divine_spells_to_level_three~ BEGIN

WRITE_LONG 0x34 3 // sets spell level to 3

END

END

END

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR211.spl~ ~override/IJ#P211.spl~

LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~divine_spells_to_level_three~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR208.spl~ ~override/IJ#P208.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR301.spl~ ~override/IJ#P301.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR303.spl~ ~override/IJ#P303.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR304.spl~ ~override/IJ#P304.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR309.spl~ ~override/IJ#P309.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPWI321.spl~ ~override/IJ#P321.spl~ //not exactly divine but anyways

/////////////

DEFINE_PATCH_MACRO ~divine_spells_to_level_four~ BEGIN

WRITE_LONG 0x34 4 // sets spell level to 4

END

END

END

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR312.spl~ ~override/IJ#P312.spl~

LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~divine_spells_to_level_four~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR319.spl~ ~override/IJ#P319.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR315.spl~ ~override/IJ#P315.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR414.spl~ ~override/IJ#P414.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR416.spl~ ~override/IJ#P416.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR406.spl~ ~override/IJ#P406.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR415.spl~ ~override/IJ#P415.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR403.spl~ ~override/IJ#P403.spl~

///////////////

DEFINE_PATCH_MACRO ~divine_spells_to_level_five~ BEGIN

WRITE_LONG 0x34 5 // sets spell level to 5

END

END

END

COPY_EXISTING ~SPCL233.spl~ ~override/IJ#P233.spl~ //not exactly divine but anyways

LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~divine_spells_to_level_five~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR417.spl~ ~override/IJ#P417.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR413.spl~ ~override/IJ#P413.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR409.spl~ ~override/IJ#P409.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPWI513.spl~ ~override/IJ#P513.spl~ //not exactly divine but anyways

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR507.spl~ ~override/IJ#P507.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR517.spl~ ~override/IJ#P517.spl~

////////////////

DEFINE_PATCH_MACRO ~divine_spells_to_level_six~ BEGIN

WRITE_LONG 0x34 6 // sets spell level to 6

END

END

END

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR410.spl~ ~override/IJ#P410.spl~

LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~divine_spells_to_level_six~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR506.spl~ ~override/IJ#P506.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR505.spl~ ~override/IJ#P505.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR514.spl~ ~override/IJ#P514.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR508.spl~ ~override/IJ#P508.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR601.spl~ ~override/IJ#P601.spl~

///////////////

DEFINE_PATCH_MACRO ~divine_spells_to_level_seven~ BEGIN

WRITE_LONG 0x34 7 // sets spell level to 7

END

END

END

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR603.spl~ ~override/IJ#P603.spl~

LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~divine_spells_to_level_seven~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR605.spl~ ~override/IJ#P605.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR607.spl~ ~override/IJ#P607.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR608.spl~ ~override/IJ#P608.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR711.spl~ ~override/IJ#P711.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPWI721.spl~ ~override/IJ#P721.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR722.spl~ ~override/IJ#P722.spl~

///////////////

DEFINE_PATCH_MACRO ~divine_spells_to_level_eight~ BEGIN

WRITE_LONG 0x34 8 // sets spell level to 8

END

END

END

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR701.spl~ ~override/IJ#P701.spl~

LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~divine_spells_to_level_eight~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR705.spl~ ~override/IJ#P705.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR707.spl~ ~override/IJ#P707.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR712.spl~ ~override/IJ#P712.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR717.spl~ ~override/IJ#P717.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR724.spl~ ~override/IJ#P724.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR725.spl~ ~override/IJ#P725.spl~

////////////////

DEFINE_PATCH_MACRO ~divine_spells_to_level_nine~ BEGIN

WRITE_LONG 0x34 9 // sets spell level to 9

END

END

END

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR726.spl~ ~override/IJ#P726.spl~

LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~divine_spells_to_level_nine~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR720.spl~ ~override/IJ#P720.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPWI903.spl~ ~override/IJ#P903.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPWI911.spl~ ~override/IJ#P911.spl~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPWI919.spl~ ~override/IJ#P919.spl~

///////////////small adjustment

COPY_EXISTING ~scrl6d.itm~ ~override~

READ_BYTE 0x2a ~intreg~

WRITE_BYTE ~intreg~ 8

///////////////0% learn spells at int in 8

COPY_EXISTING ~intmod.2da~ ~override~

SET_2DA_ENTRY 8 1 5 ~0~

BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

//////////////Additional HLAs

COPY ~MegaModKits/DivineWizard/ij#d927.spl~ ~override/ij#d927.spl~

SAY NAME1 ~Extra Level 1, 2 and 3 Spells~

SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~Choosing this ability enables the Divine Wizard is able to cast four additional 1st level spells, three additional 2nd level spells and one additional 3rd level spell.~

COPY ~MegaModKits/DivineWizard/ij#d928.spl~ ~override/ij#d928.spl~

SAY NAME1 ~Extra Level 4, 5 and 6 Spells~

SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~Choosing this ability enables the Divine Wizard is able to cast 2 additional 4th level spells, 1 additional 5th level spell and 1 additional 6th level spell.~

COPY ~MegaModKits/DivineWizard/ij#d929.spl~ ~override/ij#d929.spl~

SAY NAME1 ~Use All Items~

SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~Use All Items

Divine Wizard adapts to using any items while still being able to cast any spells just like a reqular cleric, so they suffer no penalties that would make a reqular mage unable to perform their magic spells due to equipment.~

//////////////HLA spell adjustment // maybe later

DEFINE_PATCH_MACRO ~divine_spells_to_level_ten~ BEGIN

WRITE_SHORT 0x1C 4 // sets spell type to Innate (4)

WRITE_LONG 0x34 1 // sets spell level to 1

END

END

END

This example has the Earth quake spell as a level 9 mage spell, there's also a lot of level 1 cleric spells as level 2 mage, and really the only exception is the energy blades spells that this mage can cast at lower level. And yes, there's even Protection from evil 10 radious at level 5 mage spell, instead of level 2 cleric spell.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Cleric's 7th lvl spells vs. Mage's 9th lvl spells

Now as it's now, this is more of a balance issue in the Kit Revisions than in Spell Revisions.

:rotflmao:

Come on man, do your homework better. Cleric's xp table gave them 7th lvl spells before mages could get 7th lvl spells, thus making their 7th lvl spells on par with mage's 9th lvl ones made even less sense in vanilla.

KR's will help rebalance it, don't worry, but AD&D clerics not getting 8th and 9th lvl spells was actually quite right imo considering clerics have better thac0, more hit points, better armors, etc. If anything, clerics should have been getting higher lvl spells at a slower rate compared to mage, not faster, and mages needs to be slighty better than they are at lower levels.

My problem is not with clerics getting spells from higher wizard levels, rather with the inconsistency inside the cleric spell levels themselves.

SR actually tries to fix this:

- cleric's getting Gate as a 7th lvl spell was really OP, they now get the same lesser variant that mages get, Summon Death Knight

- cleric's getting Confusion as a 7th lvl spell was silly imo, they now get (Sphere of) Chaos

SR may be far from perfect, but at least give me credit for going on the right direction.

Btw mage contagion is diffirent from the cleric contagion and more powerful (with a bigger spell level).

It's intentional to make up for the higher spell lvl required to cast it.

Make all spells have casting time 1 or 0

Demi what is your opinion on the "all spells 1 or 0 casting speed" option? Its just an option, it wouldnt harm anyone who would choose to not install it? I want it so much or the mod similar to it.

Sorry, it's really the opposite of what I want SR to offer.

Edited by Demivrgvs

I'm not sure what you mean...

geg_Ma3gau just wandered if the Freedom spell was also the Freedom of Movement -like ability without the one countering the Haste spells, considering it was a 9th level spell and all. Aka making the effect last longer, not just the one small instant.

Nothing more.

SR actually tries to fix this:

- cleric's getting Gate as a 7th lvl spell was really OP, they now get the same lesser variant that mages get, Summon Death Knight

- cleric's getting Confusion as a 7th lvl spell was silly imo, they now get (Sphere of) Chaos

SR may be far from perfect, but at least give me credit for going on the right direction.

Nice, I didn't know that :) You and the rest of the modders here get all the credit in the world in my book - please accept my sincere apology if it didn't come out like that in my post. And the direction is definitely right, especially if it includes nerfing Holy Word ;)

Edited by toxin

Great Mod SR.

Not a SR bug, but a useful compatibility note to add to the readme of SR:

I noticed Pnp Free Action mod (installed after SR) sets Free Action back to the 1turn+1r/lvl of vanilla but keeps the SR description of 1t/lvl.

(I can edit the times/description in NI, but these are 2 common mods, so just FYI).

EDIT: after playing around with the original SR Free action SPPR403.SPL, it looks like it does the same thing as PnP Free action? It doesn't limit haste or IH?

That's not what I understood from the SR readme; I thought it was just vanilla +stun immune. The readme should be updated to show that SR does that as well as add stun immune to the spell.

No need for Pnp FA mod, then, if you can live with the spell update! If you want item fixes, then PnP FA is still needed.

(Unless I'm confusing vanilla FA with some other fix like the G3 fixpack)

Edited by Hammyh