Feedback

Anything relying on friendly fire as a balance is really only a hindrance to the AI. A player can target with infinitely more precision than any enemy he faces, virtually nullifying friendly fire as a legitimate detriment.

Given how large the AoE of Dispel is and its frequent use to remove ailments, I wouldn't so easily end up with such absolute statements. The cost to the player is significant enough to make them consider it in respect to the benefit.

Besides a suggestion above was to remove the downside completely. I doubt that would be an improvement to the gameplay.

So far the suggestion that seems the best would be making RM single target. I still have reservations, but judging by Haste (from aoe to single target) the change might not be so bad in the end.

Haste is not the no-brainer buff it was anymore, while it's still one of the better spells to use on strong physical combatants. It does change the pace a little, but not as much as I was suspecting when I read about it.

Maybe a similar change to RM would surprise us positively. :)

I may be missing something, but I'm not seeing console feedback for some of the new spell. For example, when I cast Waves of Fatigue I don't see a list of characters affected (e.g. "Ogre - Fatigued"). Similarly, when I cast Sound Burst I don't see any feedback about deafened creatures (e.g. "Mage - Deafened"). This can be very frustrating, especially in big fights where I'm trying to figure out what's going on.

I imported a wild mage without troubles.

Still, import is not the same as creating the character... because you are not selecting the start spells. Hiding spells with the new system has this effect, you can't select the hidden spells. Traditionally the NRD cannot be at that list. Because of Wild Mages. Yes, you can create a Wild mages without it, but the whole class is basically that spell alone. Cheesy yes, but it has it's own good and bad sides... you shouldn't ban the whole kit because of that. Unless you come up with a better concept for a wild mage. And even then the best policy is allow it to be be a choice of custom or traditional Wild Mage.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
Pierce Shield is not patched as it should by Spell Shield Fix code (no idea why, I'll ask Arda). It currently works fine only if it doesn't have to face SS, but if the target has SS then Pierce Shield is absorbed without destroying SS. :/

So I just faced the lich in Athkalta's City Gates area (secret door in the tavern) and I can say for certain Piecrce Shield doesn't work well against it. I dispel his Spell Shield (e.g. with Spell Thrust) and that works fine (says Spell Shield Dispelled on the console, and e.g. Spell Strike works after), but Pierce Shield does nothing that I can see. It just says "Lich: Pierce Shield" and his combat defenses are definitely still up ("Weapon Ineffective"), as are his spell protections (at least going by the animations, it's hard to tell if one of them was indeed dispelled since he has a few stacked).

And another thing, I noticed that the Cloak of Mirroring, which is supposed to deflect all spell damage, does not deflect FireShield/Acid Sheath damage, which seems inconsistent.

Finally, I noticed that Protection from Magical weapons protects against projectiles such as Fire Arrows and Bolts of Lightning on one hand, but those projectiles can't hit creatures that are immune to normal weapons on the other hand, which seems inconsistent (they should be treated either as normal or magical across all cases).

Edited by toxin

Spell Shield

The description for Spell Shield doesn't mention Breach in the list of spells it protects against, yet it does.

It wasn't intentional on my side, I just discovered this is done by Arda's Spell Shield code (probably with vanilla's Breach in mind). Vanilla's Breach was flagged as "magic attack" to bypass spell removals (just like Pierce Magic and similar spells) and Spell Shield was your only way to block it, but SR/SCS changed that and now it can be blocked by any Spell Deflection variant.

Overall I don't think it's a big difference (any opinion?) but if we don't feel the need to change it, tomorrow's build will at least has a correct Spell Shield description.

Random stuff

And another thing, I noticed that the Cloak of Mirroring, which is supposed to deflect all spell damage, does not deflect FireShield/Acid Sheath damage, which seems inconsistent.

Are you talking about vanilla CoM or IR's one? If its the former (I think so because IR's CoM doesn't reflect damage at all) I seem to recall it reflected damage from spells flagged as "offensive damage" and those two spells are not.

Finally, I noticed that Protection from Magical weapons protects against projectiles such as Fire Arrows and Bolts of Lightning on one hand, but those projectiles can't hit creatures that are immune to normal weapons on the other hand, which seems inconsistent (they should be treated either as normal or magical across all cases).

If you are not using IR I think there were quite a few things flagged as magical but with +0 enchantment in vanilla.

I'm not using IR, serves me right for running into these issues :)

Regarding Breach, I don't think it makes sense for Spell Shield to block it, but on the other hand it doesn't make much of difference a since any AI Spell Shield would be hiding some underlying spell deflection which you'd have to take down anyway for Breach to have any effect. And in order to take down the spell deflection you'd have to take out the Spell Shield...

The most important fixes for me to improve the game further:

1) reduce MR for all creatures. 50% is way way too much and un-fun if you re trying to use magic other then stoneskin, mirror image, haste and pfmw. 50% creatures should be going to ~20% no more

2) word of faith. i dont know if it works like it used to but it used to deafen everyone for 10 rounds eliminating spellcasting. this is way way too much. And every fiend casts it.

3) automatic contingencies/triggers. on to-do list already.

4) perhaps. lower the effectiveness of Pfmw? It always irked me Carsomyr cant do anything about the spell. Pfmw should maybe check for save vs wand or smth and if the save is failed, the weapon actually hits through?

What was the idea behind expeditious retreat spell? When is it supposed to be good?

Edited by geg_Ma3gau

1) reduce MR for all creatures. 50% is way way too much and un-fun if you re trying to use magic other then stoneskin, mirror image, haste and pfmw. 50% creatures should be going to ~20% no more

2) word of faith. i dont know if it works like it used to but it used to deafen everyone for 10 rounds eliminating spellcasting. this is way way too much. And every fiend casts it.

4) perhaps. lower the effectiveness of Pfmw? It always irked me Carsomyr cant do anything about the spell. Pfmw should maybe check for save vs wand or smth and if the save is failed, the weapon actually hits through?

1. Isn't this more of an SCS thing? I don't think SR messes with MR of enemies... regardless I do agree that MR is generally way too high and too common, and many times is just acheesy way to strengthen enemies (especially bosses, fighters in particular). However IMO it does make sense for some enemies to have high or even total MR, like jellies and golems.

2. It seems SR fixed this spell but as far as I can tell summoned planetars cast the old version which is way too powerful as you specified (does not consider level for deafening). BTW beholders anti-magic ray is 10 times worst thatn this. You can't cast, your buffs are gone in an instant, you cant defend against it (spell shield doesn't work and even if it did it would get burned right away). When facing several beholders even the shield of Balduran isn't enough as it gets snatched from your hands by their telekinesis before you manage to kill them all.

What was the idea behind expeditious retreat spell? When is it supposed to be good?

A low level spell that make's you unable to attack, but you can move faster... making it possible to run from enemies etc without it being too cheesy. At least I think that was it.

1) reduce MR for all creatures.

It's a blunt approach, but check out my MRO here:

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27573&page=1

3) automatic contingencies/triggers.

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26838&page=1

I think I mentioned before, but SR can use my innate triggers and contingency if you like the implementation - it would be pretty easy to drop in the code. I never decided what to do about Chain Contingency... IMO it should probably be an HLA, but I didn't implement that yet.

1) reduce MR for all creatures.

It's a blunt approach, but check out my MRO here:

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27573&page=1

3) automatic contingencies/triggers.

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26838&page=1

I think I mentioned before, but SR can use my innate triggers and contingency if you like the implementation - it would be pretty easy to drop in the code. I never decided what to do about Chain Contingency... IMO it should probably be an HLA, but I didn't implement that yet.

its a good approach just reduce the MR. increasing saves by 4-6 makes most spells useless. many mods balance carsomyr by reducing its MR from 50% to 20%. same should apply to the drow and everything else etc if there was a mod that does just this i would install it asap lol. Tweaking saves like you did is a huge balance change with a lot of potential for turning things upside down. im not into it at all, i dont want to waste time uninstalling and reinstalling the game and the mods. just 1 change: drow to 20%, and only top of the top villains like the dragons stay ~40% TOPS not more, fiends can stay ~30%

the 50% MR bs is over the top, reduces the spellbook to haste/imp haste, pfmw, skins and mirrors lol

triggers and contingencies are essential to include. SCS mages use them 24/7

everything should work with SR/IR and SCS ofc

Edited by geg_Ma3gau

Jarno and Toxin kinda answered for me :) but I'll give my 2 cents anyway...

The most important fixes for me to improve the game further:

5) What was the idea behind expeditious retreat spell? When is it supposed to be good?

1) It's not related to SR. Many asked for a spell to counter it but I doubt I can find a spot for it within SR. An Abjurer or Transmuter HLA within KR maybe? Overall, I don't see it as a big deal. I think +x weapon immunity and +y spell lvl immunity are two far worse mechanics within AD&D.

2) I was sure I gave it a save somewhere during the beta, but it looks like I didn't. I'll handle it.

3) I suggested to make them innates myself a decade ago, but for some reason I ended up never implementing it. For a while it was planned for SRV4, but I think we settled to let it for KR's revised mages instead.

4) My hands are tied on this.

5) It's as Jarno says, "an escape button", but it can also be used for fast traveling within big areas (that's why I made it affect the whole party whereas its caster only in PnP). It's up to beta testers to tell me if the implementation works or not though.