Feedback

-do the spell deflections protect from the swarm? if no, then maybe it should?

also did you notice how the high level insects cover ALL your party lol

it doesnt matter how few AI have holy word/insect swarm, because everytime they cast it its gamebraking

cure disease and break enchantment are a counter to the holy word, there s one little problem.... 1 holy word makes 6 characters deaf and noone can cast anything even cure disease this is why deafness is stupidly overpowered. you cant counter it casting spells because it prevents it

To chip in on this:

1) Deflection stops the swarm

2) HW is used a lot in ToB, but very rarely in SoA - it's AoE isn't so large and Deflection blocks it. Even priests can use Archons to prevent it from working on them.

Insect swarms

I'd like to hear more opinions on this matter but I don't feel like insect spells are OP. I think we can make Gust of Wind counter it, but compared to vanilla they already allow a save each round (there was NO SAVE in vanilla against dmg and spell failure), they don't cause fear anymore, and can be blocked by a Fire Shield.

Holy/Unholy Word

I am not even sure there should be miscast magic as part of the holy word...

It has been there in every single PnP edition ever printed (not sure about 4E but that's not even D&D imo).

A deafness effect on a sound based spell seem kinda logic, but I admit large AoE combined with 'no save' can make it annoying to handle (not impossible though, because 50% spell failure isn't 100%). I guess adding a save could easily "fix" it, but these spells never had a save in PnP.

Can any beta tester share his opinion?

Contingenices, triggers & the like aren't subject to spell failure of any kind. If all else fails, use an invisibility potion. I'm against adding a save to this.

Out of curiosity, why does Break Enchantment use a custom SecType for that? Why not just cancel the Charm/Domination opcode(s)

It doesn't. It uses an existing one ("disabling") so any spell which has that sec type is removed, SR-modded or not. If it's marked as disabling and is of 5th level or lower, it will be removed.

There is no opcode to cancel Charm I'm afraid. You can cancel Hold, Stun, Confusion via opcode (i.e. "cure stun"), but Charm is not like that.

Break Enchantement won't for example remove a charm-type spell which has a spell power of 6 or above (it works as in PnP - up to level 5).

Freedom will, since it removes all spells with a "disabling" sec type up to and including level 9.

If all else fails, use an invisibility potion. I'm against adding a save to this.

Or just Protection from Evil... ouh yeah, that doesn't work anymore.

:p

Seems to me that:

The same could be said about Web - a Fireball should destroy it - but t's best to draw a line before we start to ask for 100 small details hard or impossible to implement.

Now you are intentionally copying what the Spell Pack v6 already does ... :p Is it a bad thing, nope. You should look it up if you haven't already. Or ask Galactygon.

Yeah I've always thought that the "fire spell destroys web (and causes fire damage to everyone in the web)" thing was a cool idea.

Defensively, it gives you a (painful) way to get out of a Web; offensively, it lets a 3rd-level wizard turn Web + Burning Hands into a poor man's Fireball.

Unfortunately SpellPack has some bugs - especially with Web. I've long since gone 100% SR. Shame they're mutually exclusive, because Galactygon is a good guy and really knows his stuff.

So what do you think about these two spells? Give us an option? Those who want it will install. I know it takes your time but for some people this fix is important.

What spells? What option, and what fix?

-everything requires a save check

-save check every round for the swarm so that if you save you can cast some spell curing this effect.

-fire shield, acid shield and lightning shield save from it but also some other spells could be made useful in case you want to CURE it from your party character. Players must be rewarded for party teamplay I E one of your guys gets in trouble, then the other one cures him.

-only 20% spell failure.

This as an option for the insect spell line and Holy Word.

I like the idea of save every round for insect spells - so some rounds you'll get bit/stung, other rounds you won't.

I don't think Holy Word should have a save, and I don't think spell failure should be less than 50%. If the solution is as simple as drinking an Elixir of Health, I can't see this as a very big deal.

I dedicated all my little spare time to summons (if you have feedback on them please share it here) but let's see...

Insect spells

Gust of Wind will counter them. Fire Shield and Acid Sheath already block them within SR. Do I need to edit the description a bit? Because reading it again it might not be clear that these spells already allow a save each round within SR.

(Un)Holy Word

I stand corrected about these spells never having a save, 5E now allows a save (the two spells are merged under Divine Word name). Still, I'm not convinced about adding it because we already have HD limits (5E changed this into hit points limits as Power Words).

The deafness effect isn't a problem for players imo despite geg hating it. Players can block it with spell protections, cure it with a spell or even with a potion. I'm more concerned about its effectiveness against AI, which cannot rely much on those.

To a lesser extent I don't like that the only effect not limited by HD check is purely anti-spellcaster, but that's not a big deal.

I have some concerns about these spells slaying 10HD creatures with no save (even if that requires caster lvl 20). It turns the spell into a Greater Banishment spell that works even on genies, which SCS - and then SR - specifically modified to be immune to.

I have one daring last thought. It looks cool to me but I'm reluctant because "it's not as per PnP". We could edit the effects a bit more and differentiate the good/evil versions more. The evil one for example could cause sickness and nausea instead of deafness and blindness.

Edited by Demivrgvs

Me too. And would definitely like to see it do something against high-HD non-spellcasters. Something like Slow, could work, or Weakness (Str/Dex/Con penalties - an anti-DUHM effect), or even a smaller effect like Faerie Fire or Bad Chant combat penalties.

EDIT - actually, it should probably be a stat-draining disease - the disease opcode allows for that. And then the same counter - Cure Disease spell or Elixir of Health - would work to fix things for both spellcasters and non-spellcasters.

And differentiation between Good and Evil versions makes sense, but don't put too much time into it, given the severe lack of non-evil enemies in the game.

Actually, strike that. Why are there good/evil differences in this spell? It's not about morals, it's simply a manifestation of divine power in relatively pure form, meant to affect the opponents of the priest casting it at the time. Seems to me, alignment should have nothing to do with this. Alignment should definitely come into play with summonses (why I hate 'evil devas') but not with an acoustic manifestation of divine wrath.

Edited by subtledoctor

-save check every round for the swarm so that if you save you can cast some spell curing this effect.

-fire shield, acid shield and lightning shield save from it but also some other spells could be made useful in case you want to CURE it from your party character. Players must be rewarded for party teamplay I E one of your guys gets in trouble, then the other one cures him.

-only 20% spell failure.

This as an option for the insect spell line and Holy Word.

About insects:

- ToBex "concentration tweak" will do nothing to stop spell failure. It is a seperate opcode which causes spell failure, not the damage itself

- save is made each round, so doing something to buff your saves (i.e. drinking a potion or similar) will likely allow you to cast

- 20% spell failure would likely make the spell useless, considering how often Fireshields are used

- as per curing it, it's done. I spent 1 hour on tweaking Gust of Wind, then I wanted to make a spell from scratch via Weidu which led me to some code Ardanis used and after 2 more hours of going through illegal offsets, parse errors, Weidu documentation, projectile adding and few invalid commands - it's done.

Behold; Insects-Be-Gone. :cool:

101s_zps5sp4xzdu.jpg

Edited by kreso

just remove the deafness from the holy word if thats too difficult to add a save... you re just making the players do the "1 char runs in and eats holy word/insects, the rest are fine" abuse and the AI is still hampered.

PS having A LOT of fun with this spell

post-5399-0-60977400-1452940197_thumb.jpg

Edited by geg_Ma3gau