Other cities than Athkatla and BG...

Valiant

Congratulations, it's really a good work !

If I understood well, you use models imported since NWN1 or NWN22 that you work again under 3ds, that's it ?

You understand it well, only difference is that the models are not taken from NWN 1 or 2, but rather from Morrowind or Oblivion...

Btw, your areas are perfect, do you use procedural textures? From where? And the trees - are they just billboarded images or fully 3d models?

Btw, your areas are perfect, do you use procedural textures? From where? And the trees - are they just billboarded images or fully 3d models?

(Sorry for my bad English, my native language is French... fortunately that there exist translation software…)

For the moment I work the maps starting from several softwares : In first, for the reliefs and the ground, the map editor of AoM ! (modified, for which I added textures !), from which I take a screenshot which is used to me as a basis. Much work then under Photoshop, because it's the software which I best control for the moment and with which I really have fun. Some elements are created under 3ds, that I start to deepen and whose place will be growing.

About the use of 3d models, those of Titan Quest are not badly also (the buildings, the ships, weapons…)

For your question about the trees, I did them under Photoshop (they are not 3D models… I would like well that this is it besides !). I constituted myself a collection of boards which I paste under Photoshop.

I saw the information of The Big, about Speedtree, which seems indeed interesting. I tested it, and that can be interesting. Taken individually, the trees do not seem not drawn well. On the other hand groups some, the effect goes rather well.

(Sorry for my bad English, my native language is French... fortunately that there exist translation software…)

For the moment I work the maps starting from several softwares : In first, for the reliefs and the ground, the map editor of AoM ! (modified, for which I added textures !), from which I take a screenshot which is used to me as a basis. Much work then under Photoshop, because it's the software which I best control for the moment and with which I really have fun. Some elements are created under 3ds, that I start to deepen and whose place will be growing.

About the use of 3d models, those of Titan Quest are not badly also (the buildings, the ships, weapons…)

For your question about the trees, I did them under Photoshop (they are not 3D models… I would like well that this is it besides !). I constituted myself a collection of boards which I paste under Photoshop.

I saw the information of The Big, about Speedtree, which seems indeed interesting. I tested it, and that can be interesting. Taken individually, the trees do not seem not drawn well. On the other hand groups some, the effect goes rather well.

Oh, thanks for the info. Btw, if you want, I can send you some 3d tree models I used in my areas. They are not a SpeedTree product, but rather from XFrog. I know, for many people, XFrog produces shitty meshes with many polygons, but that´s not entirely true. It can produce very nice models, but the fact is they are indeed very complex, thus they take a lot of resources when loaded into 3dsMax or similar modeling program...:cool: Cooperation has no boundaries...:)
...Btw, if you want, I can send you some 3d tree models I used in my areas.

Thank you, it is very pleasant ;) . But how could you send them to me ? Can you show me some images ?

Of course, I can send you some shots, just write me your mail address via PM... :p

I´m using a 2-light sun system - one light is corresponding with shadow direction and is a little bit brighter, about 950lx. The other one has switched shadows off, emitted light has about 650lx, and facing from opposite side. Angle between light is approx. 130 degrees... The lights are of Sun type.

Here´s a shot:

CAM_LIGHT.jpg

About the city - still tracing that Merket district. It´s PITA, those trees will defienetly kill my nerves... About a half of area is done so far...

No need to quote your own post, I have already checked that occlusion mapper, and, to tell you the truth, it is not so easily usable tool as it may look on first sight. Main problem is that even if you generate some xml output with polygon groups, there´s no such converter able to create suitable wallgroups from it. I spoke with Avenger about creating such converter and built it into DLTCEP. He said it could be integrated, but he need a source code of this occlus. mapper. And that is not publicly available. Also I already spoke with JCompton, and maybe I´ll get the source code, but not sooner than in few months...

Ah well... ;)

Wow, this is simply amazing work. Ive not seen maps this good since the actual games! Ive just started my modding career and cant do anything like that, but have a lot of ideas. You said you were looking for someone to use it in a mod, and i was wondering whether you had found anyone? I would love the chance to turn these amazing maps into a living, breathing city full of adventure, intriguing new characters to interact with and thrilling new quests. I would understand if you are against the idea of letting someone so new be responsable for the final content of your work but would be honoured to help if you let me. Im just starting my first quest and it takes time but while i've had ideas of what i want to do for a very long time (i've probably been imagining new quests for a decade), its only now that ive actually realised i can create them and make something amazing, that hopefully other people will also enjoy!

A new city would be a perfect setting for a good new mod, and i think the quest i am currently working towards would really use it well, its full of history and a city that looks as old as this one could really be the cornerstone of the plot (the stone bridge looks hundreds of years old, gave me the same feeling as the bridge to baldurs gate, i love the idea of this city being something to work towards, ur arrival being those huge dark towers).

A few odeas of what i would make this city into - Perhaps this city has less control by the cowled wizards and is a darker, more mystic version of amn that is yet to be seen, one at the borders of the land, where the ruling wizards either care less or are just more corrupt. I love the idea of a slightly corrupt city where your actions change how events go, you can either encourage the sin, makng the city a true haven of criminals, (like the shadow theives, who perhaps have a base here which is your whole reason for coming, sent in chapter 3 by which ever side you are with to either investigate what is wrong with the theives stronghold or to destroy the base depending upon your side, a proper reason for visiting, and one that would introduce you to the key players in how to influence the cities future) or side with the one good guy who's trying to clean it up, you can mould this city into what form u feel best.

How this could be manifested i see in very much terms of things like the npcs, their outlook on the reputatiom of a party and the prevelence of criminals and the associated benefits/problems. The city itself would remain the same, but the people inside would slowly change as you complete quests one way or the other. Of course you could leave things as they are as a third option.

That could be a hard ask but would definately be a bit different to what is currently available and i think if done right could fit in well with the current game, which is in my opinion the mark of a good mod.

I have lots more ideas, from location to quests, this is just an overview to let you know what i would do. Let me know if you're interested, but even if you're not, thanks for reading! Have a great day,

Dave

Hi Dave, and, of course, good luck with your first quests... No problem, if you want to participate, just write to RawenSW, he´s the one behind city population. As far as I know, he´s creating some merchants atm, some children, street beggars etc, but no particular quest creatures. I´m just an area and art layout creator...

Thanks for interest ;)

MarketDistrictNight.jpg

Hey Valiant...

I don't want to step on your freedom of creativity here, but as a contributor of Morroblivion... I've been into a lot of issues with Bethesda and their copyrights. In the early days of the Morroblivion team (Morrowind to Oblivion import) we decided to use some of Morrowind's .dds and .nifs to speed up development. Even though they were edited to promote compatibilities with Oblivion's engine, Bethesda came in and threatened to do unimaginable things (:hm:) unless we took the project down...

Only recently was the project resurrected and new textures and meshes were used...

I would rather not see your work get taken down (when it gets released) because you used Bethesda content...

(The statue in the town is easily recognizable as the main statue in Chorrol. Keep in mind that Morroblivion was a Bethesda game => Bethesda game import... and they didn't allow that... you can only imagine what a Bethesda game => Bioware Game response will be. Bethesda is not as friendly about game resources as Bioware as.

While this is the only noticeable reference (the statue, along with some of the houses here) I can see, I strongly urge you to use the many textures and meshes offered for free at tesnexus.com. I'm not sure to what extent you used Bethesda files... but i hope it isn't too much @_@

You will find Bananasplit's excellent Better Cities Conversion especially useful. Sutch will also be useful for you I hope.

I do not say this in a malevolent manner, I just don't want frustrations to appear down the road somewhere....

:laugh:

Archived