Other cities than Athkatla and BG...

Valiant

Oh well... how to start... :(

My WD HDD 500GB I had in my laptop has failed. Simply as is. All my saved data were lost. Including all new city area art. And due to non-existing backups (my fault, I know, so plz don´t remaind it to me once more, although I deserve it :)) I don´t have them any more. Also I lost all my photos, movies, documents, rar packages, etc...

HDD is working, but it shows one big 465GB empty partition instead of 3 half-filled... I downloaded Recuva for recovering at least some content, so I will run it today´s evening. We´ll see... But chances are very low atm...

Silly of me.

If the drive is "alive", chances are pretty good you can recover everything you want.

TIps: Don't install Recuva on the drive itself (you probably know this, but just in case). Also doing a "deep scan", or whatever it's called, if at first you don't find your stuff is worth a try. Let me know if you need more help with the recovery process.

If you lost the initial partitions, a tool like Recuva will not recover any file. You probably need to recover the partitions first. There is a free tool called TestDisk that may be of help. I have never used it but it seems well known for that purpose. You'll have to create a CD and boot from it.

Praise all TestDisk !!! I have used that program and it works! Like a charm. Not all lost files were recovered, because it would took a very long time, but those needed were recovered succesfully :) Renders are back in laptop.

First I had to use TestDisk for recovering invisible partitions, so it wrote MBT anew. Then I used Photorec (one of TestDisk parts) for recovering files. Best thing on Photorec is that one can choose what type of files will be recovered - .avi, .mkv, .bmp, etc.... It can speed up process very significantly... Luckily, 1209 files, with needed area renders packed in .rar among them, were found and recovered. Now just to reselect them all....

Yeah...

Oh, btw, Recuva failed on 2%...

EDIT: Backuped :)

I suggest making an additional back-up of your files by burning 'em to a disc, or maybe uploading to an on-line resource like Dropbox or something :) Great that you were able to recover so much! Sometimes, when a drive goes down, you can't salvage anything from it, so it's a crap-shoot *L* Now to consider taking my own advice about backing up...

I would have a question, mainly to some experienced modders - is it possible to have more than one "gate" area for city? I mean according to all flag settings that areas have (visited, reachable, not visited, etc...)...

Because in vanilla BG2 there´s only one gate area (AR0020 I believe, not sure about the number), and if you travel to exterior/outerior areas like DeArnise for first time, you have to go through it. Later in game you can visit them almost from any exterior city area, but first time you can´t. BUT original Crimmor have two gates - Drover´s Gate and Alandor´s Gate (they look almost the same, so I´ll give them same art, with only small differences and rotation)... So, how the game will handle two "gates" ?

Thanks for answer :)

Sure, it's possible without much trouble. To travel between areas they need to be linked, so imagine all the non-gate Athakla areas as just linked between themselves and the Gates, while Gates also has links to some outside areas.

Ok, I got it. I thought that for travelling between two areas these two must be cross-linked. Never thought that you can have a between-area-link for travelling... Good to know.

And what about the area-first-time-revealing on worldmap, when I will have actually two gates? Would I´ll have to reveal them both in same time, right?

Btw, a little bit OT, but still: I plan to convert a standalone castle from fun-made Oblivion meshes to IE area style. So just wondering - anyone has a decent idea for a quest of some sort that would fit perfectly into such area? Reason I´m asking this is that I simply don´t want to make all that hard converting work (not so easy you know...) and then waste it... PM me if you have something. And it has nothing to do with Crimmor city I´m doing right now, this will be a STANDALONE. Like DeArnise.

It would be a short break in city creation. Btw, an idea for next city area is already in my head, ships are finished, now just picking up some buildings. But this area just crossed my fingers and I don´t want to let it pass....

Archived