Other cities than Athkatla and BG...

Valiant

I was hoping I'd have time to finish this thread, before I had to jet to an X-Mas party, but......

@Valiant,

I tried to send you a pm, but this site is fairly buggy (Boy, is it buggy....) Scuttlebut is, you're the guy to go to about Area maps so:

1) What angle do you have your render camera set at, so I know what the default to use is?

2) What do you have your unit measurement set to, in Max (I'm using Maya)? I ask, 'cos you've said you had to scale, rescale, etc. and I'm trying to avoid that.

3) Areas have a maximum size in the Engine, how did you go about setting that in Max?

When I have more questions, I'll be sure and hit you up.

@Everyone,

Before you ask, *NO*, I will not help you with your mod. Right now, my priority is creating a new UI for GemRB, so we won't have to use BW's proprietary graphics. Areas, effects, characters, etc, will come later. *MUCH* later.

So, why I am asking Valiant these questions?

Simple. I plan on making modular models you can use to create your *OWN* areas, most probably in Maya (though if Valiant and I can get together and he'll let me pick his brain, I'm sure I'll be able to conform with Max 2009, since that's what he's using.) When I'm ready, I'll probably throw up some sort of tutuorial and/or documentation on how to create your own Area maps, quickly and efficiently. These models will be properly UV'ed, come with their own textures (I too, have over 2000, though in my case, it's more like 5000. ;P) and be ready for drag and drop placement on a Grid to create Area maps.These models will not be objects pulled from other games, but be original pieces, to we can bypass copyright infringement. If all goes well, lighting will also be included, with simple interchanging of light materials.

I'll hit this thread up, when I get home. Assuming I'm not tossed. ;)

Regards,

-M

You think?... As they say - never say never... :)

No, seriously, those 3d models are not mine, as you know, just imported from Oblivion. But as such, they always need some touches after importing, like assigning normal bump textures to all materials used by every model, creating all door anew, etc... Some textures were replaced, and, of course, some buildings had to be created by combining a few into one piece, mirroring, cutting unnecessary parts, borrowing from others... Usual drill I can tell... :)

Only thing that is really MINE is a vision and layout. This one area, for example, took about 3 days of work. And night render took about 1 and 1/2 hour to complete.

Next part will be docks of some sort... Stay in touch.

That really is excellent. The potential for adding new areas into the game and giving us way more scope to play with in Athkatla and beyond can only be a good thing. And even imported from Oblivion, those models don't look out of place.

Oh well... how to start...:(

My WD HDD 500GB I had in my laptop has failed. Simply as is. All my saved data were lost. Including all new city area art. And due to non-existing backups (my fault, I know, so plz don´t remaind it to me once more, although I deserve it :)) I don´t have them any more. Also I lost all my photos, movies, documents, rar packages, etc...

HDD is working, but it shows one big 465GB empty partition instead of 3 half-filled... I downloaded Recuva for recovering at least some content, so I will run it today´s evening. We´ll see... But chances are very low atm...

Silly of me.

My condolences and virtual hugs, if you need any. Maybe something will be recovered by Recuva/other soft, or something's left in your mail.

A friend of mine paid 300 dollars to recover his HDD's contents via a specialized firm. EDIT: maybe it's an opportunity, too, although it is rather expensive.

Archived