Other cities than Athkatla and BG...

Valiant

Valiant, does that mean that you have a 3D model for every plant, tree, box, wall, etcetera before you add light sources and render it from 3D to 2D? I have always wanted to do that to create areas (since I work with molecules and as such have great affinity with rendering programs). My question is though, where did you get all those 3D models, not to mention the textures that you use to fill them?

Does that not take ages to set up before you can even start to think of creating the area itself (i.e. placing objects and light sources).

Or am I wrong here?

You´re totally correct, sometimes it take ages to set up all needed objects in a way I want them, but that´s normal in 3d modeling. FYI, normal area like, say, City Gates I presented here, took about 20 hours. I can imagine Market Area will take approx. 50...

About objects - some of them are borrowed form other games like Morrowind, some of them are created from scratch. Same with textures - some are again borrowed, some are mine. Btw, without perfect textures you´re lost. For years I have gathered textures from various sources, now I have about 2000.... :)

The "problem" is that then making new areas to already existing locations (another Athkatla district for instance) one should make shure it'd look similar. For example, you can't just cut off a portion of the Trademeet and add it to Athkatla, they're too different. On the other hand, if you make the whole new city(or willage or anything else) we have no such issues smile.gif
yarpen, Constantine is right here - better to build something new than adapt something to already existing stuff. That would make it even harder and I´m unsure with the result... Different textures, etc...

upper-middle class houses on the west, park on east, small market with booths/stalls southeast.
sorry friend, but I won´t make a park in the city. Trees are the most difficult object, either for modeling and rendering. One perfect tree has approx. 20000 polygons, and if you have them 10... Well, do the math, it would kill the scene... Not mentiong the other object - houses, all-around-stuff like barrels crates, boxes, etc... It will be something like Slums, but with market in the middle...

Have you taken a look at speedtree? I hear it can make viable trees in 1500-2000 polys. It costs 1500$ for 'small budget' releases, although you might be able to negotiate a viable price (and, if not, you can acquire the evaluation version and export some hundreds of small-res trees to work on later).

Have you taken a look at speedtree?.....
Thanks, the bigg, but I own SpeedTree for a few years already... Of course, I will put some trees to the scene, but now I´m at the first stage with my Market Area - gathering required objects...

Here´s a shot of the house set nr. 1, that will be used later during creation... Without bump mapping for faster render...

Houses_01.jpg

Hope you like them... :)

Btw, it will be a much more clean city than Athkatla...:)

You´re totally correct, sometimes it take ages to set up all needed objects in a way I want them, but that´s normal in 3d modeling. FYI, normal area like, say, City Gates I presented here, took about 20 hours. I can imagine Market Area will take approx. 50...

About objects - some of them are borrowed form other games like Morrowind, some of them are created from scratch. Same with textures - some are again borrowed, some are mine. Btw, without perfect textures you´re lost. For years I have gathered textures from various sources, now I have about 2000.... :)

Admirable to say the least.

I played around with povray and 3D max when I made the cover for my PhD book, but that took me a few weeks to perfect and even then the outcome was relatively basic... The search for the correct textures was indeed very difficult. In the end I used povray because I could auto-render a few things and that saved my life from a lot of frustration.

It did pique my interest to model areas for BG, but I do not think that I will ever be able to do what you have shown here. Really... Marvelous.

Can you export gridobjects from Morrowind/NWN? I did not know that.

Those buildings looks great! Only one thing is that I imagined this new city/marketplace with less...monumental buildings. More like some... maybe not tents, but smaller and lighter buildings, with additional tent of some exotic...goods and maybe...ladies. You know, place where player could have some pleasure and buy something as... well, in real world that would be opium, I have no idea if there's any equivalent thing in FR...

...still that was my imagination. Your buildings are really well done, I think that they may look even slightly better than some from the original game.

Those buildings looks great! Only one thing is that I imagined this new city/marketplace with less...monumental buildings.
I don´t want to use monumental buidings, too, so there won´t be many of them. But... One district will be monumental. I have an idea in my head, but won´t tell more, until gather all needed stuff... A little surprise.

Btw, it would be better if you post a picture of what exactly do you mean. They say that one picture is better than 1000 words...:)

It did pique my interest to model areas for BG, but I do not think that I will ever be able to do what you have shown here.
Thank you, but I assure you, it´s not so hard, when you finally get into it. Just very time consuming... Try it a few times and it will get you... :)
About objects - some of them are borrowed form other games like Morrowind, some of them are created from scratch. Same with textures - some are again borrowed, some are mine. Btw, without perfect textures you´re lost. For years I have gathered textures from various sources, now I have about 2000....
Don't suppose you'd consider uploading your "library" somewhere? :) Are you doing all the building interiors too or just exteriors?
I imagined something like that -> click!

And something like that in the same district -> click!

A kind of park would make your city different to Athkatla... also maybe a river - not a big one. Maybe something like this -> click!

It could be me with my architectural taste, but I feel european/middle eastern traditional architecture fits BG1/2's style more than american towns.

I'd like to ask an unrelated question about copyright: How (il)legal is it to recycle area graphics or spell animations from other games (like Disciples 2) for use in BG2?

-Galactygon

However, I gues you may not like the idea....
Sorry, but you´re right, I´ll keep my own idea, which is obviously different from yours... Again, sorry for that.

Don't suppose you'd consider uploading your "library" somewhere? biggrin.gif Are you doing all the building interiors too or just exteriors?
No, I won´t upload it anywhere, because some of them are not mine. Many of the objects are copyrighted to their owners, I´m just using them for my renders, which is non-profit. Of course, I´m legal owner of all games I´m using as a source. If you want them, buy the games, and export models you want for yourself. Sorry... :)

And the second thing is the size of the folder. High above 1GB...

And yes, I will make interiors as well...

I will start to work on Market District (workname) during this week. Until that my eyes will relax...:)

as illegal as recycling bg2 to bg2 itself - illegal. Unless the game's data is available under a permissive license, like in the case of many opensource games.

If you export them and reuse them it is illegal, but if you redrawn them yourself to be similar but not identical it is artist impression and it becomes legal again... thin line there. It is like repainting the mona lisa, perfectly legal until you sell it as the original.

And yes, I will make interiors as well...
I have seen you post them on the BWL forums. Truely highl detailed. Moreso than BG2 itself.

Archived