Other cities than Athkatla and BG...

Valiant

exactly :) I do not think that people will really go through all of that effort.
True, that´s why I started a new with my own artistic vision than trying to reproduce existing one while knowing that my stuff never be equal to original... Sad but true.

...short teaser...:) one of prepared houses... OMG, it´s pretty hard to modify resources, didn´t think it will be so complicated....

Teaser.jpg

Just kidding, so far it goes relatively fast... Although all doors must be reworked, it´s still better than to build up all those houses from scratch...

So I decided to use Xfrog tree models in city renders. Some may say I could use SpeedTree instead (much lower polygon count, original shadow type...). First I was thinking about it, too, but Xfrog models are much more detailed, and because city renders are static and can be divided to parts, I do not need low poly tree models. So one tree can have approx. 20 000 polys... :)

Stay tuned :)

...and another render... FYI: this small part of the town took 1h 53min 23sec to render... due to trees... So I read the book during the process...:cool:

Hope you like it... Maybe some minor changes will be in final render, but not too significant...

BuildingSizeTest.jpg

Enjoy :)

...and corrected render... That´s more liked... At least for me :cool: what about you, folks??...

BuildingSizeTest_1.jpg

Off the record: why I can´t edit my previous posts? Always have to start a new one, because editing is not possible. Only right after writing new post, but later isn´t... Is that normal...??

Looks fantastic. But I'll say that I prefer the original ground; the other one just reminds me too much of Athkatla and I think a new city should feel unique as far as the game is concerned. Just my humble opinion though.

You know, firstly, I thought so, too. But consider that BG2 ground is "angle independent" - means you can build any building on it and it will still look relatively good (mean transition between building wall and the ground). With new ground texture in some cases it could look like the building is flying over...

Never trust the first look... Look at it again and you´see yourself I´m right... BG2 artists were not stupid. They knew exactly what are they doing, so why not learn from professionals??...

...and corrected render... That´s more liked... At least for me :cool: what about you, folks??...

2lmbd75.jpg

Off the record: why I can´t edit my previous posts? Always have to start a new one, because editing is not possible. Only right after writing new post, but later isn´t... Is that normal...??

It's one of the new silent "features" of the site. Can't say why they changed it.

You know, firstly, I thought so, too. But consider that BG2 ground is "angle independent" - means you can build any building on it and it will still look relatively good (mean transition between building wall and the ground). With new ground texture in some cases it could look like the building is flying over...

Never trust the first look... Look at it again and you´see yourself I´m right... BG2 artists were not stupid. They knew exactly what are they doing, so why not learn from professionals??...

I see what you mean, too. No surprise there, it's obvious you know your stuff. :)

...and corrected render... That´s more liked... At least for me :cool: what about you, folks??
Looks good, but I think the ground is a bit too dark in the second render. Would the night map be even darker?
It's a stupid feature of the forum software - I asked the admins about it but got only *crickets chirping* in response.
Looks good, but I think the ground is a bit too dark in the second render.
I do not know why but it looks normal on some monitors (e.g. mine at home on notebook´s LCD), and a bit dark on the others (e.g. yours, mine at work, etc...). It depends on monitor settings, but yes, I can make it a bit lighter than it is now.

Btw, I´ve noticed a strange thing. When I render a picture, make a save and open it in, say, PaintShopPro, everything looks ok. Same with default Windows Paint - image is displayed correctly. But in default Windows Image and Fax viewer it looks terribly dark, maybe even darker than here. It must be an issue of the program or something.

Ah, nearly forgot - speaking about Win7 Pro, 64bit

Archived