I am (again) a doctor.

the bigg

Congrats. Did you write a dissertation? If so, on what, and I'm surprised you've been around at all.

when fixing meaningless problems that only Miloch experiences when working on a full BWP install.
... (I report only meaningful ones from working on updating ancient mods coded with WeiDU v013 alpha or whatever... lately, anyway. But probably won't even be doing much of that as I am working on a dissertation actually - not my own, fortunately or not.)

Italian procedure is to work for ~6 months on a task, write a dissertation on that (usually 100~300 pages, but I got away with 70 because my work is pretty innovative but doesn't easily fill up pages with text) and then present the results in a pseudo-conference. In my case, I worked on noise analysis in computer systems - basically, record the CPU usage under various scenarios and run statistics on the results. In doing so using ad-hoc test software, I uncovered lots of odd behavior (for ex. periodic or evolving patterns in the time sequences) that are unaccounted for in the literature - my teachers are hoping to confirm it using real-world software (rather than ad-hoc test programs) and write a paper on the results.

I planned to for my earlier dissertation (when I became a regular Doctor in CS), although I didn't manage to make more than a GUI skeleton in time for the deadline (and never got around to finalizing it, because the BWS came around, and I figured out I lacked the knowledge to do something more than mediocre - not that technical mediocrity ever stopped the BWers).

As of today, I am a Magistral Doctor in Computer Science (with 110/110 cum laude), and I'm starting a job as a computer consultant on Monday. That should explain my recent and future semi-absence from modding duty.

Congratz! That's pretty awesome ^_^

Archived