"Roll Your Own Beta Pre-Beta Post-Alpha Pioneers"

cmorgan

Letters taken from the rummaging now are the actual letters, not the broadsides; the one from the lovetalk is one of the sister's letters. Note to self - invent a new one that doesn't have fit in the sequence, so I don't go crazy trying to guess the correct one, or escape it from the sequence because PC has already seen it...

Had a few issues installing the 1d012bb files this morning. First install included D0QuestPack and Tactics into the mix of other NPC mods, etc. Had issues: Opening scene - Irenicus was doing the "herky-jerky", selecting a place on the map for a character or the party to move to resulted in the foot circles freezing and after a few seconds the party miraculously appeared at that location, and spells animations were freezing. Second install, just tactics=same result. Third install, just D0QuestPack=same results. Last install, (because I reached my patience limit), I left both of them off and everything is running fine again. It's not the first time I've had this issue with the two mods mentioned. And it will happen if I install Ajantis and Gavin in the same game. So, I do not think it was Aran's fault. But thought you might need to know, just in case it comes up again in the future.

There are still sound files with pops, clicks, etc. The following ones are the most pronounced: c-aws002; c-aws010; c-aws011; c-aws012; c-aws014. Spell casters die first, (11, IIRC), seems to be the worst. Took a look at it and there are multiple small pops that are creating the one big pop in the game. Not sure if they can all be removed without significantly altering the sound file.

And some good news: Started a new game and forcetalking Aran in his starting location produced the inn flirt, not his first talk. That appeared on its own a bit later. Flirt variables are setting and Aran initiated flirts are already firing in game.

Had a few issues installing the 1d012bb files this morning. First install included D0QuestPack and Tactics into the mix of other NPC mods, etc. Had issues: <<snip for space>> It's not the first time I've had this issue with the two mods mentioned. And it will happen if I install Ajantis and Gavin in the same game. So, I do not think it was Aran's fault. But thought you might need to know, just in case it comes up again in the future.

Ajantis and Gavin on the same install do that on yours? It may be that you need to do the (PITA) "biff the override" routine. Do you play with SCSII installed? It sounds to me like large script files potentially are the culprit, and in that case Aran and Gavin should produce similar results... could you try an install with Ajantis and Aran, and see if the choppiness occurs as well? (We know Gavin and Aran don't because you have them both on your game.)

There are still sound files with pops, clicks, etc. The following ones are the most pronounced: c-aws002; c-aws010; c-aws011; c-aws012; c-aws014. Spell casters die first, (11, IIRC), seems to be the worst. Took a look at it and there are multiple small pops that are creating the one big pop in the game. Not sure if they can all be removed without significantly altering the sound file.
I have not had the opportunity to repair or re-record these yet. Just to check, is the volume for the three background musics about the same, or when i go back in do I need to lower/raise those?

And some good news: Started a new game and forcetalking Aran in his starting location produced the inn flirt, not his first talk. That appeared on its own a bit later. Flirt variables are setting and Aran initiated flirts are already firing in game.
Sweeeeet! (Now I am crossing my fingers that the banters don't hang on your install. I have not been able to replicate that, which makes it tough to troubleshoot).

Don't biff the override when you're testing betas. Use less mods instead. In Irenicus's dungeon, you'll have the Ajantis mod spawning an item in one container and Gavin spawning an item in another, but more importantly, you'll have DbG spawning Jasper. There's a script that makes Imoen walk over to the PC and ask her about Ajantis, but I'm not sure if that runs off the area script or Imoen's override. Does Imoen even have an override for SoA? Anyway, that's a lot of stuff going on, but it should pass quickly.

Ajantis and Gavin on the same install do that on yours?

Yep. I got by trying out Ajantis with only a few other mods installed. Couldn't get Ajantis and Gavin to cooperate on the same install.

Do you play with SCSII installed?

Nope. I can show you my Weidu log, if you want it. Right now I actually have less installed than what I normally play with. Ajantis is the only NPC mod my machine seems to have issues with and D0QuestPack and/or Tactics is usually a 50/50 shot of it messing the game up.

could you try an install with Ajantis and Aran, and see if the choppiness occurs as well?

Yeah. I have a backup copy of the game on my system and I can install them together without all the other stuff and see what happens.

(We know Gavin and Aran don't because you have them both on your game.)

No problem at all with Aran and Gavin. Have always played with a long list of mods installed. Ajantis, Tactics and D0QuestPack are the only mods I have found, so far, that cause issues on my sytem.

Just to check, is the volume for the three background musics about the same, or when i go back in do I need to lower/raise those?

I'll pull them up and check.

Edit: Set1_3_suzato_danserye_bransle is not as loud as the others. I don't recall any of the music sounding too loud in the game, meaning it's probably about right. But I will specifically listen for that when I load the game back up.

Does Imoen even have an override for SoA? Anyway, that's a lot of stuff going on, but it should pass quickly.

Not sure about Imoen, but it doesn't pass on my system. I thought that too the first few times it happened. It actually gets worse the longer it runs. The game eventually becomes unplayable.

Do you use any AI mods like eScripts? I ask because that slows things down to a crawl on my system. If I have a full house and everyone is using ePriest or eMage, or eWhatever, the game becomes unplayable quickly.

But yeah, in general, the bigger your override folder, the slower your game will run... and all three mods add areas, which doesn't help.

I've played with them in the past, but not recently. Like I said before, those three mods are the only ones that seem to cause issues. Leave those off of my typical install and/or a mega install and no issues.

Edit: cmorgan - With a trimmed down install, (BG2Fixpack, DBG, Ajantis, Aran, and some components of BG2Tweaks), it runs fine in the starting area. I honestly figured it would, since that's how I got Ajantis to work some time ago when I played the mod and that's the set-up I used initially testing Aran.

Hmm, got the first "gift" flirt. Yeah, if he actually gave her an item, it would be kinda cool. Everybody likes shinies. I might have some unused BAMs lying around for items I meant to make and never did. Shall I see what I have on hand?

Yes, please :)

Just remember, this means more stuff to drag around or store someplace, and there are a number of these seeded into the random number fun... and most of all, none of the gifts will actually do anything, any more than a RL box of chocolates or violets will. But if the fun outweighs the "I can't hold any more" message, I think we could mess with it. (he isn't skilled enough to create masterwork daggers of charismatic enhancement +2 or Chocolate Roses of Enchanting Charm +1 vs Females... Though my wife sometimes wishes we could come up with +4 Platinum Eyeglasses of Remembering-Things)

As a player, I tend to collect stuff- which means I often have things falling on the ground.

-Also the inn flirt for Aran appeared, (in the C.C.), and my PC propositioned him for the REInn talk, (variable was set=1). If this talk is incorporated already, Gavin's first rest talk overrides and the REInn talk doesn't appear. Variable was unchanged, but the talk didn't appear later either.

Repaired - changed it to night talk, and will add conditioning to it to trigger from player1d and avoid Gavin's first night talk

Just checking - we are talking about

// b!player1.d - additions to player1.dlg 

APPEND PLAYER1 

IF ~Global("B!GavRingPlaced","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN BEGIN p1 
SAY ~(You hold a simple silver ring, set with a softly glowing purple stone. The words 'Here is my heart. It is forever thine.' are engraved inside the band.)~

If so, my corrections should fix that - and I need to take a look through other mods to see who uses Player1D this way.

New code, triggered from Player1D using PLAYER1:

/* Night Talk: Amorous */
IF
 Global("c-arannightvisit","GLOBAL",1)
 InParty("c-aran")
 !Global("B!GavRingPlaced","GLOBAL",1)
 !Global("c-aranspar","GLOBAL",1)
 !Global("c-aranspar","GLOBAL",4)
 !Global("c-arandreamstar","LOCALS",1)
 !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
 !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
THEN  
 RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("c-arannightvisit","GLOBAL",2)
PlaySong(0)
PlaySound("c-arnltl")
ActionOverride(Player1,StartDialog("player1",Player1))
END

/* Night Talk: something else fired and blocked it */
IF
 Global("c-arannightvisit","GLOBAL",2)
 InParty("c-aran")
THEN  
 RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("c-arannightvisit","GLOBAL",1)
Continue()
END

The dialogue from Gavin you are taking is the ring placement dialogue. It fires from ar0602.bcs as soon as Player1 has the ring in her inventory. It has absolutely nothing to do with Gavin's first night talk. It also uses b!gavd.bcs rather than player1d.bcs.

Gavin's first night dialogue is the one where all the romance variables are set. It uses the cutscene rest simulation rather than an actual RestParty().

If you're talking about the code for that, it's pretty straight-forward.

/* First talk */ 

IF 
InParty(Myself) 
Global("B!GavTalk","GLOBAL",1) 
!AreaType(DUNGEON) 
See(Player1) 
!StateCheck(Player1,CD_STATE_NOTVALID) 
CombatCounter(0) 
!See([ENEMY]) 
THEN 
RESPONSE #100 
	PlaySong(0) 
	PlaySound("bgav_sl") 
	SetGlobal("B!GavTalk","GLOBAL",2) 
	StartDialogueNoSet(Player1) 
END

Seriously, backing up that script to allow a reset if the talk doesn't fire is probably all that's needed.

Wait... I see a problem.

/* Night Talk: something else fired and blocked it */
IF
 Global("c-arannightvisit","GLOBAL",2)
 InParty("c-aran")
THEN  
 RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("c-arannightvisit","GLOBAL",1)
Continue()
END

This is how that is going to play out...

1) PC tells Aran "Hey, how 'bout it."

2) Aran's player1d.bcs partially fires, advancing the variable.

3) Gavin's night talk blocks it

4) player1d.bcs isn't running anymore because they aren't resting. It won't run again until the next night.

5) the code quoted above won't run until the next night, but the Continue() will ensure that it never does execute. Dream scripts make one pass. If it doesn't happen on that pass, it isn't going to happen at all.

6) Moral of the story: move the block that resets the conditions for that night talk to c-aran.bcs NOT player1d.bcs. Lose the Continue().

Archived