cmorgan

OK, found the code.

+ ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) 
   Global("c-aranpcflirtstart","GLOBAL",0) 
   Global("c-aransex","GLOBAL",0) 
   OR(2) 
		 Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",1) 
		 Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",2) 
   Global("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",0)~ + ~[PC] (You decide to flirt with Aran)~ + a3296
 /* PC Wants To Initiate A Flirt: Lightweight */
   Global("c-aranpcflirtstart","GLOBAL",1) 
   OR(2) 
   Global("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",0)~ + ~[PC] (You decide to flirt with Aran)~ + a1074 /* c-pcflirtsaran1 */
 /* PC Wants To Initiate A Flirt: Heavyweight */
   Global("c-aranpcflirtstart","GLOBAL",2) 
   OR(3) 
		 Global("c-aransex","GLOBAL",1) 
		 Global("c-aransex","GLOBAL",2) 
   OR(2) 
   Global("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",0)~ + ~[PC] (You decide to flirt with Aran)~ + a1075 /*  c-pcflirtsaran2 */
 /* PC Wants To Initiate A Flirt: Mature */
   Global("c-aranpcflirtstart","GLOBAL",2) 
   GlobalGT("c-aransex","GLOBAL",2) 
   OR(2) 
   Global("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",0)~ + ~[PC] (You decide to flirt with Aran)~ + a1076 /*  c-pcflirtsaran3 */

With this in mind, what is the value of "c-ranpcflirtstart"?

Actually, if you posted your values for "c-aransex" and "c-aranrom" and "c-aranfight" as well, it would't hurt.

Before any intimacy:

c-aranpcflirtstart = 0

c-aransex = 0

c-aranrom = 1

c-aranfight = 0

After just kissing, and after sex (checked both, came up the same numbers):

c-aranpcflirtstart = 1

c-aransex = 1

c-aranrom = 1

c-aranfight = 0

So, c-aranpcflirtstart needs to be 2 after intimacy changes, not 1, which is what's preventing it from showing up.

Just had a funny thing happen. We're currently in the Spellhold labyrinth and the PC just changed into the slayer for the first time. While lobster girl is still standing there all purple and unselectable, Aran decided to flirt with her. So, she threw her arms around his neck and kissed him soundly. While she was still in slayer form.

There is no way to prevent this. As long as Aran flirts in dungeons, there's a chance he'll flirt with her in slayer form. Gavin could have done it, too. I just wanted to point it out.

Hello!

Sorry for bothering you (I'm a lurker, not a tester, and just couldn't wait for the official release). But it seems that I have something to report. Aran asked me how I felt without my soul in chaper 3, when we were doing the last of Linvail's quests (AR0801).

I started the game with TOB, official TOB patch, Xan v9, Aran version 78c9cb7 installedv (25th november download, I think). Picked up Aran, Xan, released all slaves in Slums. Upgraded to Aran 1d012bb yesterday, did Nalia's quest,

reported Moira Delryn's murder to Bylanna, did some Graveyard and Bridge district quests, spoke to Bodhi, Bayle and Linvail(completed two of his quests).

Right before Aran asks his question, the variables are

C-ARANROM = 2

C-ARANROMTIMER = 747880

C-ARANFRIENDBG2 = 23

C-ARANFRIENDTIMER = 795672

Thank you very much!

Thank you for reporting - I have to take that talk out of the sequence and make it not available until after the soul stealing - major oversight on my part! So I need to write a new talk and put that one as a floater. I'm working out the details now, but it will be a few days before I can get it re-adjusted!

(By the way, if you are using the beta, you are a tester, and it is appreciated :) This is wide open development. Hopefully folks will see it is not so bad to dive in and try this modding stuff out; people in the community will help sort things out with you).

Just had a funny thing happen. We're currently in the Spellhold labyrinth and the PC just changed into the slayer for the first time. While lobster girl is still standing there all purple and unselectable, Aran decided to flirt with her. So, she threw her arms around his neck and kissed him soundly. While she was still in slayer form.

There is no way to prevent this. As long as Aran flirts in dungeons, there's a chance he'll flirt with her in slayer form. Gavin could have done it, too. I just wanted to point it out.

I wonder if there is any way of blocking the flirts by detecting animation type? Or perhaps the slayer form sets a var to use/unuse?

Before any intimacy:

c-aranpcflirtstart = 0

c-aransex = 0

c-aranrom = 1

c-aranfight = 0

After just kissing, and after sex (checked both, came up the same numbers):

c-aranpcflirtstart = 1

c-aransex = 1

c-aranrom = 1

c-aranfight = 0

So, c-aranpcflirtstart needs to be 2 after intimacy changes, not 1, which is what's preventing it from showing up.

Logic failure on my part.

Actually, it is a darned good thing I didn't complete the entire "register intimacy" global adding, because it uncovered a bug where if PC decides to stay on the chaste route, flirt, and have lovetalks, she will have the flirt options disappear.

OK. Thinking this one out. Hold on...

Or just use !AreaCheck() for these:

AR1500 Spellhold

AR1501 Cave (Spellhold Test)

AR1502 Fire Room (Spellhold Test)

AR1503 Spore Room (Spellhold Test)

AR1504 Crushing Trap Room (Spellhold Test)

AR1505 Lever Room (Spellhold Test)

AR1506 Troll Cave (Spellhold Test)

AR1507 Kobold Room (Spellhold Test)

AR1508 Final Judgement Spellhold Test

AR1509 Myconid Room (Spellhold Test)

AR1510 Sahuagin Room (Spellhold Test)

AR1511 Elven Table while Spellhold Test

AR1512 Bodhi's Hunt Level 1

AR1513 Bodhi's Hunt Level 2

AR1514 Bodhi's Hunt Level 3 (1st Slayer Change Happens here)

AR1515 Spellhold (Irenicus' Living Room)

AR1516 Spellhold (Soultheft Level)

Well, this is odd. My PC never turned into the slayer the second time. Also had a dream I don't remember ever seeing before, either, one that ends with Imoen counting up to five. Maybe didn't sleep enough in the labyrinth?

Don't know why you didn't change into Slayer the second time but the Dream is definitely because you weren't sleeping in there enough. I've always gotten that. :)

B, what the heck dream is that from?

Hey, that areacheck list is darned good idea. I already block them all from firing in Underdark, though PC can flirt with him via PID in Underdark, with appropriately Under-darkien phraseology - just no NPC-initiated ones.

On the logic failure with PID flirts...

OK. Let me think.

The initial idea was to allow levels of intimacy to play a role in jumpstarting things, with the idea being a flirt-driven RomanceActive status. Things have evolved, so right now it is set up so that PC can jump him right away if she wants. Player choice, and all. Perfectly possible to get him into the party, have your wicked wanton ways with him in an immediate one-night stand, take a week to basically romp in bed (and anywhere else you can for that matter), then dump him romantically but keep him in the party and force him to watch you date Anomen, Kelsey, Gavin, or even double date Chloe and Sarah, poor lad.

That poses a problem.

We can have c-aransex=4 with Global("c-aranpcflirtstart","GLOBAL",0).

So, the original "work your way up the ladder by flirting" isn't going to work on its own.

Right now, a player can flirt 13 or 14 times, and move c-aranpcflirtstart to 1, basically moving the physical side of the relationship 1 level higher than the emotional side would ordinarily allow (demonstrative girlfriend, willing boyfriend, tacit acknoledgement that it is obvious something is going on, so Aran will feel more willing to risk things because he thinks there is a good chance she might say "yes").

If she is less agressive, then regular things happen, and after LT3 (or actually, I am moving it to LT2, I think) and the initial early flirts fall away as Aran is now actively showing his interest, starting NPC-initiated flirts. (The player stopping those has no effect on the progress, other than slowing it - each time the player flirts, it advances the var and moves towards the higher flirts. But if PC is not letting him flirt with her, it will either take longer to progress to the heavier flirt content, or she has to flirt twice as much.)

Then, when things are humming along nicely, she can up the level an additional notch to "heavy", regardless of intimacy level, if she (and he - his NPC-initiated flirts count too) make it to GlobalGT("c-aranflirt","GLOBAL",24). (24 interactions labeled "flirting").

If she is less aggressive, then the flirting actually remains static - the only thing that lets Aran know to move up in flirt intimacy level is the flirting level. After all, if your girlfriend doesn't flirt with you, she is either sending you the message that you are not long for this relationship, or she is signalling that she is uncomfortable with PDA's. The romantic kind, not the electronic, though in this case there is a conflation of terminology.

So, can we strip away the c-aransex variable completely, and stilll have a resonable progression?

So far, we have the following behaviors:

[*]For the early flirts, the content is all Aran being interestd, smiling, but deflecting. Normal enough public behavior.

[*]For the lightweight flirts, the content is still pretty tame... definitely public behavior.

Now we get to a division. If the player likes flirting or the game goes on long enough (I always take forever, and I don't even play Mega-Installs, so I figure *someone* out there actually needs hundreds of randomized flirts that take hours upon hours to unfold), there are the top two that break down pretty much into two classes, divided by demonstrated physical activity in the relationship (c-aransex).

For the heavyweight flirts, some of the lightweights are still available, but most of them are more handsy, lipsy, direct. Stuff you might do in a public space with a girlfriend or significant other, but reasonably moderate - you wouldn't get arrested even in the USA. Some emotional content comes into play as well - things you would only say to someone you were definitely involved with. The innuendo can be there, but everything should be able to be the sort of thing that people who are enamored but have only kissed and touched a bit can get away with. There is emotional content, and liberal and obvios physical flirting.

For the mature flirts, you are definitely assumed to be lovers. Though you could probably read any of them as being lovers who have chosen not to go "all the way", just getting as close to that act as humanly/elvenly/half-orcly/dwarvenly/halflingly/gnomishly possible. There is definitely emotional content on his side, and he is not afraid to take liberties that anyone but a lover should not be attempting.

If you had a one-night stand fifteen minutes after meeting your current employer, I think it makes sense to be a little shy, so I think we can have him flinch and move away in public even after a wild night. PC can always press the issue via PID and talk. Then things take their course, and as they get more familiar with eachother, the non-physical side opens up... ok, that works as a rationale.

So what we need is for the flirts to be set up without any reference to c-aransex until the flirt level goes into the division between "Heavy" and "Mature", since the actions in "Mature" . Do you think this works from a "fun" standpoint?

/*  PC Initiated Flirting;  (1) of the four should be active at any one time. None show for males. */
 /* PC wants to initiate a flirt before the 3 friendtalks and 3 lovetalks */
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) Global("c-aranpcflirtstart","GLOBAL",0) OR(2) Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",1) Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",2) Global("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",0)~ + ~[PC] (You decide to flirt with Aran)~ + a3296
 /* PC Wants To Initiate A Flirt: Lightweight */
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) Global("c-aranpcflirtstart","GLOBAL",1) OR(2) Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",1) Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",2) Global("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",0)~ + ~[PC] (You decide to flirt with Aran)~ + a1074 /* c-pcflirtsaran1 */
 /* PC Wants To Initiate A Flirt: Heavyweight */
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) Global("c-aranpcflirtstart","GLOBAL",2) GlobalLT("c-aransex","GLOBAL",3) OR(2) Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",1) Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",2) Global("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",0)~ + ~[PC] (You decide to flirt with Aran)~ + a1075 /*  c-pcflirtsaran2 */
 /* PC Wants To Initiate A Flirt: Mature */
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) Global("c-aranpcflirtstart","GLOBAL",2) GlobalGT("c-aransex","GLOBAL",2) OR(2) Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",1) Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",2) Global("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",0)~ + ~[PC] (You decide to flirt with Aran)~ + a1076 /*  c-pcflirtsaran3 */

Does anyone see any logic loopholes?

Follow-on - what happens if a player wants the romance but chooses not to flirt? I think that is covered by the logic of "why the heck is she only now choosing to do this, when just a minute ago she changed into a lobster while telling me she wants three kids and a puppy and a nice Keep just outside of Amsbraven?"... or should I add flirt incrementation to the lovetalks (which means folks who like to flirt may find themselves advancing through the content skipping the lightweight materials very quickly indeed).

I've always gotten that dream, too - it's the one that teaches you how to call the Slayer at will?

A lovetalk increment to increase the flirt status doesn't seem necessary. As long as a non-flirtatious PC in a deep relationship with him won't get the "Aran runs away when you smile at him" stuff - which, if I'm reading things right, won't happen because that's just for the first few talks/lovetalks? - then I think it'd be fine as is.

Cool - that makes sense.

And I need to make a decision and implement http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=21815

before I can throw in the resting cutscenes. Right now I have a bunch of things with no RestParty() entry and some with RestParty() transitions, but I need to do

IF ~~ csomething
 SAY ~[ARAN] Going to bed now but you can't have another romantic encounter tonight~
 IF ~!AreaType(DUNGEON) !<<long list of inn areas>> ~ DO ~ClearAllActions() StartCutSceneMode() StartCutScene("c-restco")~ EXIT /* Camping Out */ 
 IF ~AreaType(DUNGEON)~ DO ~ClearAllActions() StartCutSceneMode() StartCutScene("c-restdg")~ EXIT /* Dungeon */ 
 IF ~<<long list of inn areas>>~ DO ~ClearAllActions() StartCutSceneMode() StartCutScene("c-restin")~ EXIT /* Inn */
/* ToB Only */
IF ~<<area check for PP>>~DO ~ClearAllActions() StartCutSceneMode() StartCutScene("c-restpp")~ EXIT /* PocketPlane */

Or just use !AreaCheck() for these:

AR1500 Spellhold

AR1501 Cave (Spellhold Test)

AR1502 Fire Room (Spellhold Test)

AR1503 Spore Room (Spellhold Test)

AR1504 Crushing Trap Room (Spellhold Test)

AR1505 Lever Room (Spellhold Test)

AR1506 Troll Cave (Spellhold Test)

AR1507 Kobold Room (Spellhold Test)

AR1508 Final Judgement Spellhold Test

AR1509 Myconid Room (Spellhold Test)

AR1510 Sahuagin Room (Spellhold Test)

AR1511 Elven Table while Spellhold Test

AR1512 Bodhi's Hunt Level 1

AR1513 Bodhi's Hunt Level 2

AR1514 Bodhi's Hunt Level 3 (1st Slayer Change Happens here)

AR1515 Spellhold (Irenicus' Living Room)

AR1516 Spellhold (Soultheft Level)

Added. But I can't upload this to GitHub tonight. Only half done with the implementation - I'll keep working on it, especially as the next committ to GitHub will require a complete reinstall of his files; using a current savegame with this next update will scramble his strings badly. I noticed the same thing, B, as you did - the ever-expanding dialog file is getting tricky to navigate/find things. I sorted and organized a bit more, and I began seeing what i could move into larger blocks rather than flashing back and forth between APPEND CHAIN APPEND EXTEND_BOTTOM APPEND.

I'll tackle some more tomorrow.

Archived