Recommend a Mod!

Hi.

I've played BG2/TOB a number of times in the past, and got the itch to take it up again. The thing is...after slaying Irenicus 8 or 9 times, it just doesn't have that zip anymore.

So I thought of trying a few mods. In the past I tried Ascension, and also one NPC mod (Kelsey) but Ive not done any radical stuff. Now I see that there are a TON of options.

My question is: which one or ones to try? I realize that this depends on my preferences, so I'l try to state them as clearly as I can.

#1 - Depth. I dont mind playing the game over many days or even weeks. (Tutu? The Big Picture?)

#2 - Tested. I would much prefer to play a game that has been extensively tested even in preference to a really hot idea that is still in beta.

#3 - RP. I'm far more interested in mods that offer interesting RP options than those that offer more interesting combat. Though if they dont violate #2, Im not opposed to making combat more complex.

#4 - Ease of installation. I am a little intimidated by some of the installation procedures I've seen, and I've been working with PCs since DOS.

So, any recommendations??

Nice username. :) And welcome to G3! :)

If you're wanting to play the BG1 story, I would very strongly recommend Tutu over BGT. If you want to go for Tutu, there are a good few mods here which work with it... The BG1 NPC Project, the joinable NPC Mur'Neth, the G3 Tutu Tweak Pack, the Grey Clan quest mod and various kit mods among others. I'd also recommend Indira (which is PPG). So, yeh, Tutu is good.

If you're wanting more BG2 goodness, I'd avoid TDD/BP/BGT and so on. I would recommend a tweak pack or two (there's the G3 Tweak Pack here, Weimer's Ease-Of-Use, SimDing0s pack at PPG and so on). You might fancy kit mods - there is a lot around, though I will point out that Cleric Remix is in beta still. Other good mods to try include Unfinished Business, Banter Packs, Flirt Packs and Virtue, and Quest Pack when the new version is out (they're all from PPG).

I don't play with NPC mods often so don't know the BGII selection that well.

All the mods I recommend use the same installation method (WeiDU) and should be compatible with each other, though it is advisable to read the ReadMes. ;) I'd caution against using any non-WeiDU mods.

Any more questions, just ask...

Depth: I don't think they come any bigger than The Big Picture! Couple it with BGT or NEJ and you have an enormous adventure spanning BG1 and BG2!

Tested: Big Picture is well-tested. You shouldn't run into any snags if you install the game properly.

Roleplaying: I really enjoyed the roleplaying aspect of Shadows Over Soubar when I played it as part of The Big Picture. Tortured Souls has a good roleplaying storyline as well, and yes, TS is part of The Big Picture.

Installation: As I hinted at earlier, Big Picture is a great experience if it is installed properly. It may seem daunting, but if you follow the instructions to a T, you should not have any troubles.

I followed Yazzuie's Manual to install BP and I would follow both Shadowtech's Guide and the Complete Install Guide for installing BP-BGT-NEJ.

Andyr was fairly thorough. Unfortunately we don't have her TOB component ready yet, but Keto is definitely worth your time to take through SOA. If you enjoyed travels with Kelsey, you don't "lose" by bringing the two in the party together, as they have quite a bit of mutual banter. If not, there's still really no such thing as a "bad party to have Keto in." In fact, the arguably "optimal" Keto party isn't exactly one heavily favored by powergamers, as it would call for Aerie and HD.

Some components of Tactics might appeal to you, like Kuroisan (which is essentially a combat puzzle to be solved), Improved Irenicus (well, you did say you were bored) and Ritual.

If you want a real time-consuming challenge, you can always try Redemption: The Longer Road, but forbid yourself from reloading even when you're fairly certain you didn't guess the precise sequence required by the author. Just keep playing through TOB and if you end up with the "wrong" result, start from scratch. Good luck!

(and am I the only person amused by the need for three different installation guides?)

Oh, personally, I find that more installation guides means that you get a more reliable and easier installation. It stands to reason that if there are more instructions to follow, it's going to be an easier procedure.

Or more confusing... :)

Apart from the Grey Clan (as suggested by Andyr previously) Baronius is also the author of the Herbs & Potions add-in for BG2, so I guess it wouldn't mind mentioning that as well, would it?

I would also like to suggest the Black Rose Part I: Market Prices single quest mod for Baldur's Gate II (The Shadows of Amn part), not because I'm the author but rather because Andyr thought of the name, so it's 100% guaranteed. :):)

Guest Guest_dorotea
If you want a real time-consuming challenge, you can always try Redemption: The Longer Road, but forbid yourself from reloading even when you're fairly certain you didn't guess the precise sequence required by the author. Just keep playing through TOB and if you end up with the "wrong" result, start from scratch. Good luck!

(and am I the only person amused by the need for three different installation guides?)

Aww - poor jason -- it still hurts? Months after I leave the BG modding I still find your bitter bitter commentary. LOL! Speak of lasting affection.

As for three installation guides and the precise sequense required by the author -- you have lost me on that one. LR does not have the preffered ending. :)

As for three installation guides and the precise sequense required by the author -- you have lost me on that one.

I believe he was referring to the three separate installation guides for the various BP incarnations.

To add a little more variety to your game, you might want to try some of the Iron Mods at PPG. Oversight is also a must-install if you want to actually use a paladin's Detect Evil ability, and it has a lot of other neat features as well. There are also a few other interesting NPCs you might want to try. Keto certainly talks a lot, if you like that, and I've heard good things about Murneth for BG1.

If you've never tried him, Weimer's Solaufein is still as talkative and interesting an NPC as there is. He even has interjections for many of the chapter 2 quests which is remarkably thorough for a character you can't meet until the Underdark.

Archived