TS v6.0 (WeiDU) is available for download

Vlad

Well, Grim, it will be surely created but with a lot of warnings. I really don't understand why this file should cause so much troubles if it doesn't exist in the installation package, and it cannot exist in the installation package because then it overwrites the previous one and makes all WeiDU mods uninstallable that I really don't care because actually WeiDU doesn't uninstall mods but just remove installed files and replace the modified files with their pre-installation versions leaving dialog.tlk messed with alien strings.

leaving dialog.tlk messed with alien strings.

...which actually poses no problem whatsoever to gameplay or further modding*, as has been established by a fine rich history of hundreds of mods gleefully adding strings to dialog.tlk and not removing them.

* - once the 16 MB limit got sorted out, which was a long time ago.

Well, Grim, it will be surely created but with a lot of warnings. I really don't understand why this file should cause so much troubles if it doesn't exist in the installation package, and it cannot exist in the installation package because then it overwrites the previous one and makes all WeiDU mods uninstallable that I really don't care because actually WeiDU doesn't uninstall mods but just remove installed files and replace the modified files with their pre-installation versions leaving dialog.tlk messed with alien strings.

Which is in fact a surprisingly effective method of uninstallation. Do bear in mind that if the extra strings, which do no harm, were removed, far more text issues would arise with people's savegames.

I understand that this should be discussed at the proper WeiDU forums at PPG but as the invisible eye of Jason watches all the modding forums :) I would like to bring this to his attention here. At present I'm successfully uninstalling WeiDU mods manually without any problem. I have always made a backup of DIALOG.TLK and OVERRIDE after each installation of the mod, and if I want to uninstall it then I replace DIALOG.TLK and OVERRIDE with their backups, BACKUP (replaced with empty one), remove newly created .BAT files, and manually erase the corresponding line in the WeiDU.LOG. Why not to automate this process? I really would prefer my DIALOG.TLK left untouched as it was before installation of the corresponding mod because of the reason mentioned by Sim.

Grim, you are lucky! :)

Copying a multi-meg tlk file for every WeiDU component would render mod installs underwhelmingly slow. :) Something like the Tutu Tweak Pack, with nearly 40 components, could easily end up with hundreds of megs in the backup folder by itself.

I understand that this should be discussed at the proper WeiDU forums at PPG but as the invisible eye of Jason watches all the modding forums  :) I would like to bring this to his attention here. At present I'm successfully uninstalling WeiDU mods manually without any problem. I have always made a backup of DIALOG.TLK and OVERRIDE after each installation of the mod, and if I want to uninstall it then I replace DIALOG.TLK and OVERRIDE with their backups, BACKUP (replaced with empty one), remove newly created .BAT files, and manually erase the corresponding line in the WeiDU.LOG. Why not to automate this process? I really would prefer my DIALOG.TLK left untouched as it was before installation of the corresponding mod because of the reason mentioned by Sim.

Eh? I mentioned an ADVANTAGE of keeping the strings in the TLK after uninstallation. :)

Hey Vlad, any chance you could post your mod here or over at Pocket Plane? I've tried to DL it from BlackWyrm and the mirror site, but they are both sooo slow. I've seen them get down to 1.1 kbs. I'm using a public computer and I can't be spending 9 hours in order to download a file. I'd really like the chance to free Yoshimo from his geas; I think he's a good character and I was really disappointed to lose him like that. Kind of spoiled my whole game frankly. I was planning on dumping Nalia when I got Imoen back, but surprise, surprise! :)

Sorry, but that's not an option. As I mentioned before I'm using a public computer, I can't tie it up for hours in order to get a file for myself. Other people are going to want to use it as well.

My question to you is: are you going to play this mod on the public computer as well? Let's be honest, you'll tie up the PC for hours too just playing the game, let alone downloading it. :)

I'm afraid the mirrors are what they are for now; and I'm afraid your computing situation is what it is. We've given you suggestions. I don't see why you couldn't use a download manager. It will be quicker, that way you won't have to tie up the PC for hours on end just downloading the mod. Short of that, the other alternative would be to buy a computer and/or Internet access for yourself.

My question to you is: are you going to play this mod on the public computer as well?  Let's be honest, you'll tie up the PC for hours too just playing the game, let alone downloading it. :)

No I have my own computer, just not my own internet access.

I don't see why you couldn't use a download manager.  It will be quicker, that way you won't have to tie up the PC for hours on end just downloading the mod. 

Every person has their own account. So as soon as I log off in order to let someone else on the machine, I lose my downloads in progress.

I'm afraid the mirrors are what they are for now; and I'm afraid your computing situation is what it is.

I guess I'll just have to forego playing the mod, or any others that you sponsor. How about dropping a line when you speed things up.

Every person has their own account. So as soon as I log off in order to let someone else on the machine, I lose my downloads in progress.

Erm, you do know what a download manager is, don't you? It's a program that lets you pause and resume downloads. In theory you could start downloading a file, get part way, wait an entire year, download a bit more, wait an entire decade, and download the rest.

Of course, it's doubtful whether a file would stay in one place for 11 years, but you get the point :).

Erm, you do know what a download manager is, don't you? It's a program that lets you pause and resume downloads.  In theory you could start downloading a file, get part way, wait an entire year, download a bit more, wait an entire decade, and download the rest.

Of course, it's doubtful whether a file would stay in one place for 11 years, but you get the point :).

Oh I see, I wasn't aware of the pause ability, or forgot about it. I haven't had to deal with dialup speeds for a long, long time now. However, I don't have authorisation to install anything new on the system, and I'm pretty sure we don't have one on it right now, so that still doesn't help me any.

Archived