Unearthed Arcana presents Scales of Balance: a post-hac tweak pack

Hi Subtledoctor,

In the readme to "Yet Another Revised Armor System", you write:

"This also makes changes to Dexterity bonuses: bonuses to AC and thieving skills are increased so that the penalty for wearing armor is more meaningful without being crippling, and the option to go without armor is a bit more reasonable."

Just curious if we can get more details. For example, I noticed that Viconia (19 Dex) has a -6 AC modifier, and Finch (13 Dex) has a +1 Missile Adjustment . Is there a table hidden somewhere?

Thanks!

On 9/22/2020 at 8:12 PM, Chitown Willie said:

Hi Subtledoctor,

In the readme to "Yet Another Revised Armor System", you write:

"This also makes changes to Dexterity bonuses: bonuses to AC and thieving skills are increased so that the penalty for wearing armor is more meaningful without being crippling, and the option to go without armor is a bit more reasonable."

Just curious if we can get more details. For example, I noticed that Viconia (19 Dex) has a -6 AC modifier, and Finch (13 Dex) has a +1 Missile Adjustment . Is there a table hidden somewhere?

Thanks!

In the zipfile is a readme. There is a table in there.

Edited by GawainBS

Hi Subtledoctor,

Just a few things regarding "Functional Weapon Tweaks":

• Short Bows getting +2 damage:

Before
    image.png.9e62db8a9de83d63d9b16759963c0e2f.png

After
    image.png.85870cadd06e22dfd2af52a257db475e.png

• Spear has the correct damage under-the-hood (2D4) - but the "description" is still incorrect (1D8 from "Item Revisions"):

image.png.0257fbc918e04395081da3e0a1476abe.png

• Throwing Daggers still showing 1D4 damage:

image.png.388152d7eb21bb28b84c875b3306a3a7.png

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Edited by Chitown Willie

I've been playing through IWDEE and have run into a small issue.  Any time my Bard attempts to use the Wand of Armory, which casts Shield or Ghost Armor on the user, they make a saving throw which obviously nullifies the effect.  From what I can find, the enhanced edition fixed the saving against beneficial spells quirk, so I'm wondering if the saving throw overhaul portion of this mod may have inadvertently negated that fix given all of the changes that were made to the saving throw system.  Anyone else have any experience with this?

EDIT: Near Infinity showed that the Wand of Armory was indeed allowing a save against breath weapons - removing that made it function as intended.  Perhaps it was inadvertently included in the list of wands to be edited via the saving throw overhaul component.

One other thing I've noticed... The readme states that bastard/broad swords use the greatsword proficiency, however checking with Near Infinity shows that all of them are still using the longsword proficiency.  This makes sense given that bastard swords are one-handed, but the misleading readme and in-game tooltips can lead to selecting proficiencies that don't actually provide a benefit to the weapon class you want to use.  It's not a critical error, but it is something to keep in mind.

Edited by Vivi_O

I am currently playing BG1 EE with this mod and I think it is amazing, but I found some issues:

- I am unable to sell bastard swords in shops (and as mentioned in previous post, bastard swords use longsword proficiency instead of greatswords)

- thieves are unable to have proficiency points in "shield fighting" and in "two hand fighting" (that is possibly intentional, but the same applies to fighter/thieves multiclass, and I think that is not right)

- I also witnessed problem with wands, mentioned above - user of wand makes saving throw and negates effect of wand (in my case it was wand of monster summoning)

I am currently playing BG1 EE with this mod and I think it is amazing, but I found some issues:

- I am unable to sell bastard swords in shops (and as mentioned in previous post, bastard swords use longsword proficiency instead of greatswords)

- thieves are unable to have proficiency points in "shield fighting" and in "two hand fighting" (that is possibly intentional, but the same applies to fighter/thieves multiclass, and I think that is not right)

- I also witnessed problem with wands, mentioned above - user of wand makes saving throw and negates effect of wand (in my case it was wand of monster summoning)

I make this suggestion with the impression that the current implementation of Ability Score Modifiers (in regards to racial bonuses/penalties) is set up to have lopsided penalties applied to demihumans to make Humans more attractive. I propose that an alternate component be made available where the tradeoffs vs bonuses are even  and instead Human's are given a bonus feat if Might and Guile Feats is installed. Thanks for your consideration

Is it possible to disable or modify only the experience bonuses from Charisma?

edit: in my quest to find an answer to this question I noticed this: "//REMOVE M&G LUCK FEAT______________________________________________________________
//"

I am guessing from the name alone, potentially erroneously, that Might and Guile Luck Feat is not intended to be selectable with this mod installed? I have the feats from M&G installed and installed the Ability Score Modifiers component after, and was still able to select the feat in game.

Edit #2: I tracked down what I needed to edit with Near Infinity

Edited by JediMindTrix
10 hours ago, JediMindTrix said:

Is it possible to disable or modify only the experience bonuses from Charisma?

Remove or edit every line that includes "opcode = 104" from lines 860-950 of scales_of_balance/components/200_SBO_revised_stats.tpa.

10 hours ago, JediMindTrix said:

edit: in my quest to find an answer to this question I noticed this: "//REMOVE M&G LUCK FEAT______________________________________________________________
//"

I am guessing from the name alone, potentially erroneously, that Might and Guile Luck Feat is not intended to be selectable with this mod installed? I have the feats from M&G installed and installed the Ability Score Modifiers component after, and was still able to select the feat in game.

Just notes to myself, don't read too much into them. If the feat is still selectable then it is meant to be selectable.

On 12/25/2020 at 7:45 AM, JediMindTrix said:

with the impression that the current implementation of Ability Score Modifiers (in regards to racial bonuses/penalties) is set up to have lopsided penalties applied to demihumans to make Humans more attractive.

Not really.  The dumb stat-rolling mechanism of these games means that players are going to roll 90 or whatever regardless of their race. The "lopsided" penalties are only meant to emphasize each race' strengths and weaknesses, and acknowledge that the difference between 18 and 19 is more consequential than the difference between 16 and 17 or 17 and 18. Consider also the 3E point-buy system, in which you need to trade 2 or even 3 points to raise a stat that is already at or near the max.