SR Revised V1.3.900 (2022 August 8th)

If you have issues with git core.autocrlf (has nothing to do with GH btw, that's a local setting), you can explicitly specify line-ending types in .gitattributes per file extension to override it and ensure newlines stay the same on all platforms. It's also cleaner IMO and less random.

Something like this in the top folder named as .gitattributes would work.

# Enforce LF normalization on Windows/Mac
*.2da eol=lf
*.tph eol=lf
*.tp2 eol=lf
* text=lf

Edited by Graion Dilach
1 hour ago, Graion Dilach said:

If you have issues with git core.autocrlf (has nothing to do with GH btw, that's a local setting), you can explicitly specify line-ending types in .gitattributes per file extension to override it and ensure newlines stay the same on all platforms. It's also cleaner IMO and less random.

Something like this in the top folder named as .gitattributes would work.

# Enforce LF normalization on Windows/Mac
*.2da eol=lf
*.tph eol=lf
*.tp2 eol=lf
* text=lf

It's an issue with GitHub in the sense that GitHub is taking files that work on my system (i.e. with the correct settings) and then automatically converting them to files that do not work for everyone else who downloads SRR/IRR. Worse, if an issue with it doing that arises, it does not happen for me because it does not convert the files on my local system, so I would have to manually download it from the GitHub page to actually notice.

Thank you, that got me on the right track. I added .bcs as crlf, and redownloading master now seems to reflect that, which means it should now correctly work.

SR V.1.3800 - maintenance release.

Fixes:

1. Makes sure .bcs (creature script files) are set to the correct line endings (and thus do not inexplicably break).
  2. Charm spells no longer display some random string on BG1EE games (and any other such similar cases should be fully handled).
  3. Some issues with familiars: the choose-your-own-familiar option had bugs that could lead to your familiar simply disappearing; some familiars' weapons didn't have icons,
  4. AoE spells now use the correct verbiage (as per BG1 as well as the EE games - i.e. a Fireball is a 15' radius, not a 30' radius like SR has been stating since forever; it's the same actual size, just expressed differently).
  5. A few spells had been inexplicably been unset to not be patched by the AoE Spell Deflection component (namely Banishment, Vitriolic Sphere, and Faerie Fire).
  6. Some summoning spell scrolls had the wrong (too short) of a range set.
  7. Detect Invisibility was still spamming "Detect Invisibility" every 3 seconds after you cast it, which should've been disabled ages ago but was somehow overlooked.
  8. A few priest spells had the wrong spellcasting graphics set.
  9. If you use the Thrown Hammers mod, Protection from Missiles and Physical Mirror will block those new hammer projectiles.
  10. Aura of Flaming Death could not be used to kill trolls if you had SCS's revised troll regeneration component installed.
  11. IRR's Web, Domination, and Globe of Invulnerability spells/effects will be updated to SRR's standards when SRR is installed after IRR.

Changes:

1. Invisibility Sphere is now 10' radius (i.e. double what it used to be).
  2. Shadow Door, Vitriolic Sphere, Flame Strike, and Hold-type spells are all 5' radius (i.e. double what they used to be).
  3. Sphere of Chaos does temporary feeblemindedness instead of berserking (because berserking does not work on non-player characters in non-EE games).
  4. Alternative Web now has a -2 saving throw penalty instead of +0.
Edited by Bartimaeus

Yes, that behaviour is git core.autocrlf set to true on Windows by default to ensure every line-ending committed to a repository becomes LF and does the conversion locally during commiting and checkout. Again has nothing to do with GH, Git for Windows does this. Please read the Formatting and Whitespace block on Git's documentation. https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Customizing-Git-Git-Configuration and consult with the documentation of your local client (presume you use a GUI wrapper around it) how does it exposes this setting.

Thanks for the quick fix on the charm spells, @Bartimaeus.

While we're talking about Enchantment spells, I'm interested in hearing opinions about Domination's duration. In the original BG1 engine, it lasted a whopping 12 hours; the 1 turn duration is pathetic in comparison (and unmodded BG2's 8 round duration is even more so). And at 12 hours it still doesn't last nearly as long as the PnP version.

I already edited this in myself in NearInfinity, but I wonder what your thoughts are on this, balance-wise. Necromancers get to have their allies stick with them for 8 hours, so why not Enchanters too?

Domination wasn't the only spell that lasted longer in BG1, btw. Charm Person and Dire Charm lasted 17 rounds and 2 turns, respectively.

3 hours ago, DMF said:

Thanks for the quick fix on the charm spells, @Bartimaeus.

While we're talking about Enchantment spells, I'm interested in hearing opinions about Domination's duration. In the original BG1 engine, it lasted a whopping 12 hours; the 1 turn duration is pathetic in comparison (and unmodded BG2's 8 round duration is even more so). And at 12 hours it still doesn't last nearly as long as the PnP version.

I already edited this in myself in NearInfinity, but I wonder what your thoughts are on this, balance-wise. Necromancers get to have their allies stick with them for 8 hours, so why not Enchanters too?

Domination wasn't the only spell that lasted longer in BG1, btw. Charm Person and Dire Charm lasted 17 rounds and 2 turns, respectively.

The question I would ask myself is "do I want a Domination spell to last 12 hours when used on one of my party members?". The answer, of course, would be "heck no, that's utterly ludicrous and annoying to the point of requiring an immediate reload if I don't have a Dispel Magic handy". I would say that BG2 toned down these spells correctly - not just for when the player is using them against enemies, but also for the player's benefit when they're used against the player.

With a saving throw of -4 (higher than vanilla's -2), it is not a spell meant to add a temporary party member (which would be a much more interesting idea...if charmed/dominated creatures could travel with you through area transitions - alas, they cannot and thus there is generally pretty limited use for that idea even with a huge duration), but simply something you use in the middle of a battle to make one of their own absorb hits and basically go kamikaze. Additionally, the game has no limit placed on how many creatures you can dominate, which would be an obvious oversight for a hostile -> friendly conversion spell that lasts 12 hours (you could even rest without it expiring!) but which is not really an issue worth discussing if it only lasts 1 turn.

Edited by Bartimaeus

@Bartimaeus Curious to get your take on the Dark Side spells.

Some examples:

Blight (Conjuration)
Level: 1
Sphere: All
Range: Visual range of caster
Duration: 6 rounds
Casting Time: 6
Area of Effect: 50' cube
Saving Throw: Neg
The reverse of the first level Bless spell invokes the displeasure of the cleric's deity upon all hostile creatures in the area of effect. Affected creatures will have their morale and any saving throws vs. fear reduced by 1, and all attack rolls will be made at a -1 penalty. A successful save vs. spells will negate the effects of the Blight.

Armor Melt (Alteration)
Level: 1
Sphere: Combat
Range: Line of Sight
Duration: 1 turn
Casting Time: 4
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Saving Throw: 1/2
Upon casting this spell the priest can cause a change in certain physical material. Armor and metal objects will start to melt. Any creature affected by the spell receives an 8 point loss in armor class. Save vs spells for 1/2.

Sparks (Evocation)
Level: 2
Sphere: Combat, Weather
Range: Line of Sight
Duration: Instantaneous
Casting Time: 5
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Saving Throw: 1/2
The druid summons up the electricity from the air around him and hurdles it at the target causing 4D6 electrical damage, save vs. spell to half.

Icebolt (Evocation) Mage221
◦ Level: 2
◦ Range: 15
◦ Duration: Instantaneous
◦ Casting Time: 2
◦ Area of Effect: One creature
◦ Saving Throw: None
Upon uttering this dweomer a freezing ball of ice bursts from the caster's hands and streaks unerringly toward one target.  The Icebolt deals 2D10 damage with no saving throw allowed, however magic or cold resistance can negate it's effects.

IMHO all enemy-targeted spells have durations that are too long. What’s the difference between dominating someone for 1 turn or 1 day? Either way they’re dead before the duration expires. Frankly I think low-level disabling spells (Sleep, Web, Hold Person, Confusion) should have durations of around 3-4 rounds, mid-level  ones (Hold Monster, Domination) around 8-10 rounds, and high-level ones longer. You’re buying different types of freedom from certain enemies. E.g. Sleep - even if it only affects a few enemies, and only for 3 rounds, that is still surely enough to turn the tide of battle. (And yes, when used against the player this would reduce the time you lack control of a PC, which simply reduces frustration and annoyance.) 

Blight & Icebolt are okay, but aren’t they kind of duplicative? There is already Curse and Icelance. 

Armor Melt is the most hilariously unbalanced spell I’ve seen in a while. Not only that, but I’m sure it works on enemies without metal armor, which, fail. 

Sparks seems fine, maybe even a bit underwhelming. 

9 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

The question I would ask myself is "do I want a Domination spell to last 12 hours when used on one of my party members?". The answer, of course, would be "heck no, that's utterly ludicrous and annoying to the point of requiring an immediate reload if I don't have a Dispel Magic handy". I would say that BG2 toned down these spells correctly - not just for when the player is using them against enemies, but also for the player's benefit when they're used against the player.

In PnP, Domination is supposed to end when the wizard who cast it is dead. I suppose implementing something like that would be beyond the limitations of modding?

With a saving throw of -4 (higher than vanilla's -2), it is not a spell meant to add a temporary party member (which would be a much more interesting idea...if charmed/dominated creatures could travel with you through area transitions - alas, they cannot and thus there is generally pretty limited use for that idea even with a huge duration), but simply something you use in the middle of a battle to make one of their own absorb hits and basically go kamikaze.

I disagree with this. If I dominate a mage or cleric, I want to use their spells at my leisure instead of depleting their spellbook ASAP and subsequently throwing them at the enemies.

Additionally, the game has no limit placed on how many creatures you can dominate, which would be an obvious oversight for a hostile -> friendly conversion spell that lasts 12 hours (you could even rest without it expiring!) but which is not really an issue worth discussing if it only lasts 1 turn.

I don't see the issue. Then again, I don't see the issue with letting necromancers have an unlimited army of undead or conjurers having their army of summoned creatures, because this is how it worked in PnP. Bioware agreed with me back in BG1, but for some reason their design philosophy shifted massively in BG2.

I know SR(R) isn't supposed to be faithful to PnP, but these limitations make mages feel like neutered versions of their original BG1 selves, let alone PnP.

9 hours ago, Chitown Willie said:

Curious to get your take on the Dark Side spells.

1. Blight is a good idea as basically a lesser mass Doom.
  2. Armor Melt is way too strong. IMO, it should be more like half of those values, i.e. 4 for no save, 2 for save, and maybe 5 rounds duration (which is probably still too long - perhaps some sort of level scaling tied to duration would be appropriate instead). Would then match up well with SR's True Strike.
  3. Druids already have Fire Trap, whose damage is 1D4 per level + it's a decent-sized area of effect. It's tough to see Sparks providing much value for druids here.
  4. This one's a little better as basically a lesser Icelance; I would probably want a short-lived (1-2 rounds, perhaps) slow effect and for the damage to scale to some degree, though. Damage spells pretty much always have to scale to level, as otherwise you'll run into the spells simply not living up to alternatives that do.
8 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Curse

Curse must be an IWD spell?

8 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

(Sleep, Web, Hold Person, Confusion) should have durations of around 3-4 rounds

Sleep and Confusion have durations of 5 rounds...which I think is fair for Confusion, but too much for Sleep at level 1 (if you really wanted to balance it, it'd probably make sense to do something like 1 round + 1 round/2 levels up to a maximum of 5 rounds). Web and Hold Person should probably also be 5 rounds, although perhaps you could keep the wizard version of Hold Person at 1 turn (seeing as it's 3rd level instead of the 2nd level divine version).

5 hours ago, DMF said:

In PnP, Domination is supposed to end when the wizard who cast it is dead. I suppose implementing something like that would be beyond the limitations of modding?

Probably not impossible, but I would think almost certainly involve writing scripts.

5 hours ago, DMF said:

I disagree with this. If I dominate a mage or cleric, I want to use their spells at my leisure instead of depleting their spellbook ASAP and subsequently throwing them at the enemies.

I don't see the issue. Then again, I don't see the issue with letting necromancers have an unlimited army of undead or conjurers having their army of summoned creatures, because this is how it worked in PnP. Bioware agreed with me back in BG1, but for some reason their design philosophy shifted massively in BG2.

I know SR(R) isn't supposed to be faithful to PnP, but these limitations make mages feel like neutered versions of their original BG1 selves, let alone PnP.

I don't think it makes sense for an unlimited amount of creatures to be mentally controlled by the caster (5 already stretches beliefs for mere mortals only capable of conscious thinking on a single level, IMO), and I especially don't think it makes sense for such control to last through the act of sleeping. I don't know how it works in P&P, but I have to imagine that there's some kind of other limiting factor that makes having a thousand-man army of undead or dominated victims more difficult than "I put it into my spellbook a lot of times and then rested".

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

I don't think it makes sense for an unlimited amount of creatures to be mentally controlled by the caster (5 already stretches beliefs for mere mortals only capable of conscious thinking on a single level, IMO), and I especially don't think it makes sense for such control to last through the act of sleeping.

PnP indeed doesn't specify a limit for Domination uses other than your spell slots (both in 2E and 3.5E; no idea if it's different in 5E). That doesn't mean some DMs wouldn't have house rules against it, though. As for sleeping - PnP Domination can theoretically last indefinitely if the victim keeps failing his weekly/monthly saving throw (depends on INT score), so... yeah.

20 minutes ago, Chitown Willie said:

Just a heads-up : Faerie Fire has 20' range:

image.png.42cb1e5915fd6803dd5ff35a119c1fd6.png

But description reads 10':

image.png.3bf0a8505ae75b2010e23decaf444ca1.png

The description says "Range: Long" (which is 30 feet; in SR terminology, "Medium" is 20 feet, and "Short" is 10 feet, "Personal" is 0, and "Touch" is 1), so it's actually too short, not too long. The "10' radius" refers to the area of effect, which is determined not by the spell range, but by the size of the projectile used by the spell. Thanks!

Edited by Bartimaeus
22 minutes ago, Chitown Willie said:

Just a heads-up : Faerie Fire has 20' range:

image.png.42cb1e5915fd6803dd5ff35a119c1fd6.png

But description reads 10':

image.png.3bf0a8505ae75b2010e23decaf444ca1.png

The range is not the area of effect. Range is how far you can cast the spell at, aka the Target, which is "Any point in range(4)". Which supposedly is about 16 feet from the caster at max range, cause that's how far the fog of war is revealed at.

While radius of the area of effect is the center point of the area, which get effected. Ninjead by Bartimaeus..

4 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

"Range: Long" (which is 30 feet; in SR terminology,

Too bad the game doesn't allow you to cast anything at long range, cause you need to be able to detect the space, and you cannot. No, even the clearvoyance allows this.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola