The new Fixpack thread for Compatibility, Bug Reporting, Changing/Removing Fixes

Guest Guest

I'm playing Baldur’s Gate 2 Complete (the gog.com version that has SoA + ToB + the latest official patch), not the BG2EE.

I'm using Windows 7 Professional and running the game in compatibility mode (run as Windows XP SP2, run as administrator, etc.)

5 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I'm using Windows 7 Professional and running the game in compatibility mode (run as Windows XP SP2, run as administrator, etc.)

You don't need to do this, just installing the game to a folder you have write permissions allows you to skip the compatibility mode (curse words). In Windows 10, the folder is the C:\Users\<username>\ -folders, and any non-operation system drive ... I don't have a Win7 computer, so I don't remember the exact things... but you really don't need the (curse words) ...

The Saves, you can critically fail at them, but that won't kill you unless the cleric uses powerword kill or similar things, which are not vanilla game spell... and you don't have enough HPs to resist the kill effect. ... erhm, I don't remember if the kill effect even gives a save to resist if you are at low hitpoints... less that 60. Re-read the effecting spell description .. here's the Symbol Death:

symboldeath.jpg

Yes, it's exactly created to kill... mages. This gives a save, but it's a permanent trap... as in some of the mod added spells don't.

And when you are at level 40, you for sure get the toughest enemies spawned to you... this effects the spells they can use ... a bit.

PS, in the game, the lower the save is, is better, as in this was by the 2nd edition standard, just like the Armor Class(AC). Not the current (5th) editions, where the higher is better. 

And though it doesn't say it in the tin, you can still update to the Windows 10 for FREE. As long as your hardware is not tied down by hardware-software lock, installed by the maker. And even then you can clear the hard drive and start from a fresh install Windows install that the lock doesn't lock it out because it's in the software. Aka if the update is declared to be incompatible with the hardware, it's because the hardware maker licensed a set operation system to the hardware(multiple laptop makers had to do this to get cheaper Windows license, aka they cheaped out). 

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Alright. I was sick as a dog this weekend, so what better way to spend your time than to watch the opening SoA cutscene on an endless loop. I was finally able to replicate the bug and know what file is causing it. The green orb that comes from offscreen to disintegrate the thief is a bad projectile and is the source of the crash.

I'm still working on why the changes here cause the crash, but in the meantime the workaround is pretty simple--deleting spgreorb.pro from the override fixed the issue for me.

Edited by CamDawg
On 4/1/2019 at 1:24 PM, CamDawg said:

Alright. I was sick as a dog this weekend, so what better way to spend your time than to watch the opening SoA cutscene on an endless loop. I was finally able to replicate the bug and know what file is causing it. The green orb that comes from offscreen to disintegrate the thief is a bad projectile and is the source of the crash.

I'm still working on why the changes here cause the crash, but in the meantime the workaround is pretty simple--deleting spgreorb.pro from the override fixed the issue for me.

Hope you at least set the maximum frame rate to 60...

17 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Hope you at least set the maximum frame rate to 60...

Hah. You do know that's the games speed factor, correct ? As in if the game had a "physics engine" in it, the fireballs radius would be half as much.

My suggestion for Wisp's GTU Light: please change 'north' in A Note from Mazzy Fentan and 'northwest' in Tombelthen's Journal (1st half) to 'west' OR change both to say 'northwest' and edit the lines of the inhabitants of Imnesvale + quest entries in the Journal.

I'm working on a new worldmap for EET and I'm trying to fix/tweak area placements on it. I've run into conflicting sources regarding the position of Temple Ruins.

Does anyone know if BG2EE standardized Temple Ruins' location in and across dialog.tlk? Is it west, northwest or north of Imnesvale in BG2EE?

Edited by Istfemer
west OR northwest

From non-EE dialog.tlk for BG2 (with GTU Light v13 installed):

pro-Northern direction: (1 mention)

Spoiler

A Note from Mazzy Fentan

...(On the same sheet is drawn a crude but effective map which indicates the path to a forested area several hours north of the Imnesvale region.)

---

pro-Northwestern direction: (1 mention)

Spoiler

Tombelthen's Journal (first half)

..."I have found an excellent hiding place for my mithral cache, one which even those thieves will never be able to locate. It is far to the northwest of the Imnesvale village, in a forest --"

---

pro-Western direction: (3 mentions)

Spoiler

[Ranger's Quest - Lord Tombelthen. Journal entry.]
"A forest spirit named Mairyn has implored me to aid her against humans who are tearing down her forest in the west, in the area where the Shadow altar once was."

Spoiler

[Ranger's Quest - Umar the Witch. Journal entry.]

"The mayor of Imnesvale told me that Umar, or whoever is claiming to be her, has set up in the Shadow Portal dungeon to the west and threatens to destroy the village unless the inhabitants leave."

[Ranger's Quest - Umar the Witch. A dialogue with an inhabitant of Imnesvale.]

Charname: "Where can I find this sorceress?" (Umar)
?????: "Shepherds followed her to the lands in the west. She... went into the dungeon where you found the Shadow Lord. That is where you should start."

-----

So:
a) 3 out 5 sources imply that Temple Ruins are to the west of Imnesvale, 1 out of 4 implies they're to the northwest and 1 out of 4 implies they're to the north. The one that now implies that Temple Ruins are to the northwest of Imnesvale (first half of Tombelthen's Journal) used to say that Temple Ruins were located to the east of Imnesvale, but GTU Light at some point patched that item's description to say 'northwest'.

b) Temple Ruins are definitely somewhere out in the Umar Hills region.

c) As far as my work is concerned, SoA's vanilla map is totally bonkers in both original BG2 and BG2EE. However, even the vanilla map shows Temple Ruins as lying much more to the west of Imnesvale than to the north (or even northwest) of it.

I'd like more consistency in this matter.

Personally, I'd much prefer it if BG2 Fixpack (and BG2EE as well!) chose the western direction, but I can live with the northwestern one being chosen.

Edited by Istfemer
fixed formatting & added more info

Setup.tra

Spoiler

@252 = ~This wand will emit a gold beam of energy at its targets up to a maximum range of 60', affecting a 15-foot radius.  If the target creatures fail their save vs. wands, they will fall into a deep, comatose sleep for 5 turns.

STATISTICS:

Effect:  Sleep unless victim saves vs. wands
Range:  90 ft
Area: 15-foot radius
Duration:  2 turns
Not usable by:~

What is correct?

Guest Innuendo
On 4/1/2019 at 2:24 PM, CamDawg said:

I also experienced this issue and deleting spgreorb.pro fixed it for the intro for me as well. I however get the same error message for the scene after the escape from the starting dungeon. Has there been any further work on these fixes. I'm unsure what to do if i want to continue using a fix pack(i would like to).

BG2 NA 4 CD set; no ToB.

Patch Version 23037 installed on Win 8.1 x64