Cahir's EET Epic Run Mod Order help request

Just now, Cahir said:

Yeah, I thought it might be one of @kjeron's. These are usually the only mods I don't know about (since as you've said, it's buried under tons of BD forum topics).

Doesn't help that it's in someone else's thread (something I didn't realize at the time). It's rather old by now, so it may need updating.

@subtledoctor I just realized that Refinements didn't install at all in my previous test installations because I didn't select component 11: Revised High Level Abilities -> Choose which classes get revised HLAs. But now after checking it I have a bunch of  Refinements installation errors.

1. Paladin HLAs

Spoiler

ERROR: cannot convert TB#Paladinhood or %TB#Paladinhood% to an integer
ERROR: [refinements/Hlab/Paladin/TG#HOLA.SPL] -> [override/TG#HOLA.SPL] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
Stopping installation because of error.
ERROR Installing the `Paladin HLAs' component, rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall  45 files for [REFINEMENTS/SETUP-REFINEMENTS.TP2] component 104.
Uninstalled     45 files for [REFINEMENTS/SETUP-REFINEMENTS.TP2] component 104.
ERROR: Not_found
Please post the file SETUP-REFINEMENTS.DEBUG at http://forums.spellholdstudios.net/index.php?showforum=116
Automatically Skipping [Paladin HLAs] because of error.

2. Monk HLAs

Spoiler

ERROR: cannot convert TB#SecondWind or %TB#SecondWind% to an integer
ERROR: [refinements/Hlab/Monk/TG#SECW.SPL] -> [override/TG#SECW.SPL] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
ERROR Installing the `Monk HLAs' component, rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall  40 files for [REFINEMENTS/SETUP-REFINEMENTS.TP2] component 107.
Uninstalled     40 files for [REFINEMENTS/SETUP-REFINEMENTS.TP2] component 107.
Please post the file SETUP-REFINEMENTS.DEBUG at http://forums.spellholdstudios.net/index.php?showforum=116
Automatically Skipping [Monk HLAs] because of error.

3. Wizard HLAs

Spoiler

ERROR: cannot convert %LI#BARD2% or %%LI#BARD2%% to an integer
ERROR: [refinements/Hlab/Wizard/TG#DTHF.SPL] -> [override/TG#DTHF.SPL] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
ERROR Installing the `Wizard HLAs' component, rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 114 files for [REFINEMENTS/SETUP-REFINEMENTS.TP2] component 108.
Uninstalled    114 files for [REFINEMENTS/SETUP-REFINEMENTS.TP2] component 108.
Automatically Skipping [Wizard HLAs] because of error.

4. Bard HLAs

Spoiler

ERROR: cannot convert LI#BARD1 or %LI#BARD1% to an integer
ERROR: [refinements/Hlab/Bard/TG#LIN1.SPL] -> [override/TG#LIN1.SPL] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
ERROR Installing the `Bard HLAs' component, rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall  51 files for [REFINEMENTS/SETUP-REFINEMENTS.TP2] component 109.
Uninstalled     51 files for [REFINEMENTS/SETUP-REFINEMENTS.TP2] component 109.
Automatically Skipping [Bard HLAs] because of error.

Other HLAs were installed correctly.

Could you please look into it?

FYI, I gave up with refinements some time ago with similar issues. This was before I became active on this forum. it seemed to either fail to install or cause failures with loads of stuff and in game behaviour was odd. Killing HLA usage from SCS NPCs is also a factor.

2 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Weird. It installed just fine for me. When did you install it? Try moving it forward, to about right after MnG. 

It's exactly there, right between MnG and FnP multiclass. I didn't move it up or down, all I did is to add the main component which I peeviously forgot to add... 

There could also be an issue, which is possibly going unsaid here: I've seen hints that installing mods with an automatic process like a mod manager, and installing mods one-by-one, sometimes leads to different results.  I install mods manually but I've even seen it in my system, when doing a Weidu reinstall.  As in:

• Install mod A
  • Install mod B
  • Install mod C

Then:

• Reinstall mod B
  • Weidu uninstalls mod C
  • Weidu reinstalls mod B
  • Weidu reinstalls mod C according to saved specifications --> install failure

vs.

• Uninstall mod C
  • Reinstall mod B
  • Install mod C again --> success

There should be no difference between those two situations; but I swear I've seen it happen.  And it's usually something to do with a variable not being processed correctly.  I can only surmise that the reinstall can happen too fast, and variables don't get cleared.  Or something.  :undecided:  It's a weird thing, and hard to reproduce, and I don't know if it is mod-specific.  But possibly force-installing mods via something like PI results in the same problem?  One way to try to test: run the install again, but pause it between MnG and Refinements; then, after a few seconds, run the install from Refinements on.

If that's wrong and it is some kind of mod conflict, well, as I say it installed flawlessly for me.  I posted my current Weidu.log over here, so you can look for suspects in the differences between yours and mine.  (I'll also try to install it on my EET test install that I did to mimic your game, to rule out EET itself.)

26 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

There could also be an issue, which is possibly going unsaid here: I've seen hints that installing mods with an automatic process like a mod manager, and installing mods one-by-one, sometimes leads to different results.  I install mods manually but I've even seen it in my system, when doing a Weidu reinstall.  As in:

• Install mod A
  • Install mod B
  • Install mod C

Then:

• Reinstall mod B
  • Weidu uninstalls mod C
  • Weidu reinstalls mod B
  • Weidu reinstalls mod C according to saved specifications --> install failure

vs.

• Uninstall mod C
  • Reinstall mod B
  • Install mod C again --> success

There should be no difference between those two situations; but I swear I've seen it happen.  And it's usually something to do with a variable not being processed correctly.  I can only surmise that the reinstall can happen too fast, and variables don't get cleared.  Or something.  :undecided:  It's a weird thing, and hard to reproduce, and I don't know if it is mod-specific.  But possibly force-installing mods via something like PI results in the same problem?  One way to try to test: run the install again, but pause it between MnG and Refinements; then, after a few seconds, run the install from Refinements on.

If that's wrong and it is some kind of mod conflict, well, as I say it installed flawlessly for me.  I posted my current Weidu.log over here, so you can look for suspects in the differences between yours and mine.  (I'll also try to install it on my EET test install that I did to mimic your game, to rule out EET itself.)

@AL|ENis it possible what @subtledoctordescribed? It would be weird, because if it is like that I would expect PI choke on first Refinements component, not just selected few HLAs. Is it possible to force pause installation after specific mod, so I would not need to stare at the screen all the time and hope to pause in exact right moment after MnG? 

WAIT! I just reproduced it!  Here's what happened.  I was installing Refinements after FnP and MnG in my EET folder that I made to match your install, minus some NPCs and friendship/banter mods, as I described before. 

• I elected "Choose which classes get revised HLAs"
  • I installed fighter HLAs: no problem
  • I installed barbarian HLAs: no problem
  • I installed ranger HLAs: no problem
  • I installed paladin HLAs: no problem
  • I installed cleric HLAs: no problem

But I remembered that FnP was installed and I don't actually want cleric HLAs, so I quit the installer.  Then I ran the installer again:

• click [N] a few times to leave everything unchanged, then
  • uninstall cleric HLAs
  • skip druid HLAs - don't want them either, we have FnP installed
  • install monk HLAs: problem!  Same error that you had!
ERROR: [refinements/Hlab/Monk/TG#SECW.SPL] -> [override/TG#SECW.SPL] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)

I quit the installer and ran it again.

• clicked [N] a few times
  • skipped cleric HLAs
  • skipped druid HLAs
  • then got the same error trying to install monk HLAs.

Then I uninstalled the whole mod, and started over, this time properly skipping the cleric and druid HLAs as I originally intended.  And everything installed perfectly, no errors!

Then I uninstalled the whole mod, and started over, and this time I installed the cleric and druid HLAs along with all the others.  And everything installed perfectly, no errors!

That shouldn't happen.  I don't know why it happens.  But it's something to do with the installer itself.  Not a bug in PI; but depending on how PI initiates the Weidu process, maybe it somehow triggers this behavior?

(Or, maybe your repeated attempts at different installations have not been on a completely clean game install?  No offense, this is always a possibility.)

Edited by subtledoctor
4 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

WAIT! I just reproduced it!  Here's what happened.  I was installing Refinements after FnP and MnG in my EET folder that I made to match your install, minus some NPCs and friendship/banter mods, as I described before. 

• I elected "Choose which classes get revised HLAs"
  • I installed fighter HLAs: no problem
  • I installed barbarian HLAs: no problem
  • I installed ranger HLAs: no problem
  • I installed paladin HLAs: no problem
  • I installed cleric HLAs: no problem

But I remembered that FnP was installed and I don't actually want cleric HLAs, so I quit the installer.  Then I ran the installer again:

• click [N] a few times to leave everything unchanged, then
  • uninstall cleric HLAs
  • skip druid HLAs - don't want them either, we have FnP installed
  • install monk HLAs: problem!  Same error that you had!

I quit the installer and ran it again.

• clicked [N] a few times
  • skipped cleric HLAs
  • skipped druid HLAs
  • then got the same error trying to install monk HLAs.

Then I uninstalled the whole mod, and started over, this time properly skipping the cleric and druid HLAs as I originally intended.  And everything installed perfectly, no errors!

Then I uninstalled the whole mod, and started over, and this time I installed the cleric and druid HLAs along with all the others.  And everything installed perfectly, no errors!

That shouldn't happen.  I don't know why it happens.  But it's something to do with the installer itself.  Not a bug in PI; but depending on how PI initiates the Weidu process, maybe it somehow triggers this behavior?

(Or, maybe your repeated attempts at different installations have not been on a completely clean game install?  No offense, this is always a possibility.)

I clean an installation using Verify game feature of Beamdog installer on each game (BGEE, SoD and BG2EE). Only thing I did is  I installed SoD to BG2EE Item Upgrade on BG2EE before running install order in PI. 

@subtledoctor - The variable "TB#SecondWind" is only set during component 10 ~Install revised HLAs for all classes~ and component 11 ~Choose which classes get revised HLAs~.  The code setting it is in "hlab.tpa", which is only called by those two components.

The individual HLA components for each class will not have that variable set if one of those two components is not (re)installed along with them.

There are likely other variables set in "hlab.tpa" that are needed by the individual class components, and "TB#SecondWind" is just the first to be used.

Hmmm, so even though component 11 was installed prior, those variables don't get set because the code in component 11 doesn't get run contemporaneously with the Monk HLAs.

So, I guess the answer is, I need to find any/all such variables, and move them into, say, a subroutine so they can be set from any component that needs them.  Or just do it in the ALWAYS block.

And I never would have been able to see or reproduce this error if I hadn't screwed up in testing it.  :laugh:  That's amazing.

And I guess the method PI uses to invoke Weidu doesn't keep such variables in memory, the way a manual install of all those components together does.  Which is why people using PI see problems but I didn't.

Edited by subtledoctor
4 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Hmmm, so even though component 11 was installed prior, those variables don't get set because the code in component 11 doesn't get run contemporaneously with the Monk HLAs.

So, I guess the answer is, I need to find any/all such variables, and move them into, say, a subroutine so they can be set from any component that needs them.  Or just do it in the ALWAYS block.

And I never would have been able to see or reproduce this error if I hadn't screwed up in testing it.  :laugh:  That's amazing.

And I guess the method PI uses to invoke Weidu doesn't keep such variables in memory, the way a manual install of all those components together does.

Yeah that's pretty amazing edge case we've found here 😛

Anyway I finished installation. Apart from usual FnP, MnG, Monastic Orders, RR, SCS, TotLM warrnings (all should be harmful) and this Refinements error I've got only one new warning from Will to Power (which I didn't install before). It's something like this (I used master branch, so it's possible it's a beta bug or sth):

WARNING UI.MENU - pattern not found:
showMageMemorizationFlash = false
    mgpage = nil
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying and patching 1 file ...
Patching UI.MENU - pattern replaced 1 time(s):
Infinity_ActivateInventory() => Infinity_ActivateInventory()
        -- B3Identify Edit Start
        if B3Identify_InventoryOverrideFunc() then return end
        -- B3Identify Edit End
Patching UI.MENU - pattern replaced 1 time(s):
enabled "itemDescLeftButtonEnabled()" =>
        -- B3Identify Edit Start
        --enabled "itemDescLeftButtonEnabled()"
        enabled "not B3Identify_InventoryOverride and itemDescLeftButtonEnabled()"
        -- B3Identify Edit End

Edited by Cahir

That code is from @Bubb ... maybe he can tell if it’s a problem or not. If it is, then it is most likely due to some UI mod you installed making changes to UI.menu, which broke this mod’s text replacement there. 

Weird though, because this uses the same code as TnB’s Revised Identify spell, so that should have thrown an error too... huh.