Why don't you people get down to rolling back Beamdog's changes?

There are so many modders on these boards, and almost nobody cares about making anything that's new. Then how about working on what's old? You have many years of experience. The engine of the Enhanced Edition is far superior to the old one, but lots of players stick with the originals because they don't like what Beamdog has changed. Why don't you old-timers sit down and roll them back? The ones that can be rolled back. The interface isn't going away, neither is what I heard about the difference in click response speed, that the mouse is livelier in the original than in EE. But those changes are a tiny minority. Everything else you can counter: do away with all the hand-holding and "ease" Beamdog has put in, scimitars +2 lying on the ground, strange proficiencies - you know what Beamdog did, and all changes are listed on the Wiki anyway. Get together and correct Beamdog instead of bitching and moaning about their terrible decisions or ignoring the technology where the future of these games lies - the foreseeable future anyway. I don't know what those Project Infinity people are up to, but are you going to keep players hanging and missing new mods for several more years until you finally invite them to something too obscure for most? Make a rollback mod, obvious to everybody! That will be a service to the "community" you so cherish.

19 minutes ago, temnix said:

There are so many modders on these boards, and almost nobody cares about making anything that's new. Then how about working on what's old? You have many years of experience. The engine of the Enhanced Edition is far superior to the old one, but lots of players stick with the originals because they don't like what Beamdog has changed. Why don't you old-timers sit down and roll them back? The ones that can be rolled back. The interface isn't going away, neither is what I heard about the difference in click response speed, that the mouse is livelier in the original than in EE. But those changes are a tiny minority. Everything else you can counter: do away with all the hand-holding and "ease" Beamdog has put in, scimitars +2 lying on the ground, strange proficiencies - you know what Beamdog did, and all changes are listed on the Wiki anyway. Get together and correct Beamdog instead of bitching and moaning about their terrible decisions or ignoring the technology where the future of these games lies - the foreseeable future anyway. I don't know what those Project Infinity people are up to, but are you going to keep players hanging and missing new mods for several more years until you finally invite them to something too obscure for most? Make a rollback mod, obvious to everybody! That will be a service to the "community" you so cherish.

Eee, why just not stick to vanilla, then? Why bother with EE in the first place? I get that EE is not everyone's cup of tea, but for those players there are still classic versions available.Not sure what's the point in rolling back EE changes.

3 minutes ago, Cahir said:

Eee, why just not stick to vanilla, then? Why bother with EE in the first place? I get that EE is not everyone's cup of tea, but for those players there are still classic versions available.Not sure what's the point in rolling back EE changes.

Because EE's technology is better, there are many more things possible with EE. But Beamdog's improvements, where I have encountered them, are mostly irrelevant and never vital. And they throw off the pace. In the name of balance so many things got nerfed, too. New players don't even know what they are missing. Even such trivial things as having sprite outlines and fat selection circles on by default is a mistake - it makes the experience cartoonish, yet half of players, I bet, play with those defaults. But let's not rehash it again! Everybody knows where Beamdog has gone wrong - to my mind, they never did anything that would truly deserve recognition as a real step forward. There is a lot of clutter from them, well-intentioned but that makes no difference, and the clutter has been sitting there for years while modders just complain. Are these boards completely dead? Or maybe undead?

1 minute ago, temnix said:

to my mind, [Beamdog] never did anything that would truly deserve recognition as a real step forward.

EE's technology is better, there are many more things possible with EE

Uh...

1 minute ago, temnix said:

Everybody knows where Beamdog has gone wrong

This will never motivate people.  You want things changed?  Be specific.  Make a list.  Maybe this or that list entry will catch someone's eye and they'll take it on.  And collectively people will chip away at the list.

OTOH I literally have no idea what you're talking about.  If you care so much about it, why are you haranguing people?  Why not get off your butt and do something about it?

(Also I have no idea why you keep talking about "those Project Infinity people."  Project Infinity was/is made by one guy, and it is a very specific project, providing a Windows GUI for selecting and installing Weidu mods.  It has nothing to do with actual substantive modding.)

3 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

OTOH I literally have no idea what you're talking about.

This. It's like reading one of Jarno's posts. There is a general idea behind it, but it may be that I'm too dumb to comprehend it.

@temnix if you feel frustrating that you did not receive much anticipated recognition for all those mods you have provided, it's not because the lack of quality or innovative approach, but for your general attitude to others. We are not all inferior species, you know.

Unfortunately, there is nothing else of substance to be seen here. "Stop making mods you want to make and start making mods you don't want to make" is the idiotic statement this thing has been preaching for years.

Edited by Artemius I

The single biggest complaint I've heard of EE is that the patch 2.0 broke too many mods, but I've noticed many people who liked the classics like EE up to 1.3, like that guy on youtube: watch?v=m5fEAR7HTU4&t=33m10s where he goes explicitly for like 10 minutes what he doesn't like in EE.

Edited by Nugrud
14 hours ago, Artemius I said:

Wow. Just wow.

Glad to know how much respect you have for the community you claim to be a part of.

I don't claim to be a part of anything, least of all this place. Everybody who deserves respect gets it from me exactly in proportion. All the rest of you are good for is making tweaks, and even there you don't know to tweak your way back to the original fun and simplicity of these games. And never mind fucking recognition. I would be happy to be a back line trooper in a line-up of creative people instead of this morass of fanboys.

15 hours ago, temnix said:

Because EE's technology is better, there are many more things possible with EE. But Beamdog's improvements, where I have encountered them, are mostly irrelevant and never vital. And they throw off the pace. In the name of balance so many things got nerfed, too. New players don't even know what they are missing. Even such trivial things as having sprite outlines and fat selection circles on by default is a mistake - it makes the experience cartoonish, yet half of players, I bet, play with those defaults.

Fanboy here! A fresh, bright-eyed newbie to the beloved Baldur's Gate series, and let me tell you, while I would never choose to simply disable sprite outlines in the options menu, I'd definitely be prepared to seek out and install a mod that turns them off for me! That sounds much easier and more convenient for my purposes, as a brand new player who wants to make the Enhanced Edition more faithful to the original games, which I have also never played.

Fanboy here again! I've just reached Chapter 4, and I've come across this +2 scimitar that I found on some dead guy. My roommate who doesn't pay rent is a long-time expert in these games (shout out to all you veterans!) and he tells me this sword wasn't in the originals and only exists to handhold casual scrubs? Is this true?? Will the scimitar make the game super easy? I already have a bunch of +2 weapons by now, and nobody in my party uses scimitars anyway...not sure how to proceed. Can I just not pick it up? Is that a thing you can do in these games??