Jump to content

Why don't you people get down to rolling back Beamdog's changes?


Recommended Posts

Fanboy back for some more tips! My roommate who only showers on Tuesdays says the Enhanced Editions added some kind of "Story Mode" that makes all your characters invincible? He's pretty mad about it! I promised him I wouldn't ever use it, but he says it's polluting the purity of the game just by being there. Does anyone know how to disable or remove the button? I keep having to tape a piece of paper over the screen so I don't look at it by accident. Very annoying!

Link to post

Play in windowed mode, and slide the window over so that the button is off-screen.

Or wait for SCS v33, which applies to story mode - in accordance with SCS's "fight fair" philosophy, all enemies will also be invincible.

Link to post

First of all, Tuesday is a great day for showering.  Most people are at work (or, would be) so you get great water pressure.  Second, I told you I would give you the rent as soon as I get my allowance!

Third, I hear that the EEs are good for modding, but I refuse to play them.  Refuse to play anything after original BG1, in fact.  I've put in bug-fix reports for every version of the game since 2001 to make time pass in-game when you are in the inventory screen, as God intended.  They may have my money, but I refuse to enjoy the use of what I've paid for until they acknowledge that I'm correct.  That'll show 'em.

Link to post
Guest Rhastor

Out of curiosity where is this wiki that lists all the things that aren't supposed to be there in EE? I've been trying to get a hold of the original but had no luck, so I might want to know in case I bite the bullet and buy EE.

Link to post
On 5/14/2020 at 3:16 PM, DavidW said:

Or wait for SCS v33, which applies to story mode - in accordance with SCS's "fight fair" philosophy, all enemies will also be invincible.

OMG I missed this, this is hilarious.

It gives "Endless BG1" a full new meaning: fighting Shank (or Carbos) forever!

Link to post
On 5/13/2020 at 3:12 PM, temnix said:

There are so many modders on these boards, and almost nobody cares about making anything that's new. Then how about working on what's old?

"There is nothing new to be discovered in BG modding now. All that remains is more and more precise measurement." -- 1894, Lord Azazello Michelson

"Hold my beer." 2016, Albert temnix

Link to post

You people (have I been part of this modding community long enough to call you "my people"?) are awesome.

 

 

On 5/14/2020 at 8:16 AM, DavidW said:

Or wait for SCS v33, which applies to story mode - in accordance with SCS's "fight fair" philosophy, all enemies will also be invincible.

This.  I vote for this.  If I had money, I would pay for a random chance for every WeiDU mod to install this on the DL.

 

 

Link to post
13 minutes ago, Sam. said:

You people (have I been part of this modding community long enough to call you "my people"?) are awesome.

 

 

This.  I vote for this.  If I had money, I would pay for a random chance for every WeiDU mod to install this on the DL.

 

 

Initial tests reveal that the game hangs on the Gorion/Sarevok cutscene, which basically goes on forever. I left it running overnight, and came back twelve hours later to find that Gorion and Sarevok had decided to take a breather and were sharing a bottle of whiskey and reminiscing.

Link to post
12 hours ago, DavidW said:

Initial tests reveal that the game hangs on the Gorion/Sarevok cutscene, which basically goes on forever. I left it running overnight, and came back twelve hours later to find that Gorion and Sarevok had decided to take a breather and were sharing a bottle of whiskey and reminiscing.

Sounds remarkably more entertaining than the nefarious Game-Be-Gone mod.

Edited by Sam.
Link to post
On 5/14/2020 at 9:54 AM, Glam Vrock said:

Fanboy back for some more tips! My roommate who only showers on Tuesdays says the Enhanced Editions added some kind of "Story Mode" that makes all your characters invincible? He's pretty mad about it! I promised him I wouldn't ever use it, but he says it's polluting the purity of the game just by being there. Does anyone know how to disable or remove the button? I keep having to tape a piece of paper over the screen so I don't look at it by accident. Very annoying!

Not so much replying to this individual post as picking it as an example of the few replies here dismissing the whole thread as a nonsensical exercise in grognardism.

I find it disingenuous to treat "rolling back Beamdog's changes" as an all-or-nothing proposition that defeats its own purpose as long as one can go play the originals.

The EEs are a mixed bag of objective improvements (mostly on the technical side) with changes and additions to gameplay, some of which very much blur the line between enhancement and change for the sake of change. So much that some of the most egregious stuff already has mods that revert them: the new NPCs, the hack job UI and the new cinematics.

There are three other changes I wish a mod would revert: the pickpocket mechanics (a prime example of unnecessary change), the behavior of item icons (currently mangled) and the sneakily-added changes and dialogue additions to Bioware NPCs.

I understand, though, that all of those may be far from deal breakers to most players. What I'm getting at is that between the originals and the current state of the EEs lies a best-of-both-worlds version of BG in the vein of PST:EE (which was, IMHO, handled the way BG should have been handled, rather than going the Ecce Homo way).

Edited by Kilivitz
Link to post
14 minutes ago, Kilivitz said:

Not so much replying to this individual post as picking it as an example of the few replies here dismissing the whole thread as a nonsensical exercise in grognardism.

I find it disingenuous to treat "rolling back Beamdog's changes" as an all-or-nothing proposition that defeats its own purpose as long as one can go play the originals.

The EEs are a mixed bag of objective improvements (mostly on the technical side) with changes and additions to gameplay, some of which very much blur the line between enhancement and change for the sake of change. So much that some of the most egregious stuff already has mods that revert them: the new NPCs, the hack job UI and the new cinematics.

There are three other changes I wish a mod would revert: the pickpocket mechanics (a prime example of unnecessary change), the behavior of item icons (currently mangled) and the sneakily-added changes and dialogue additions to Bioware NPCs.

I understand, though, that all of those may be far from deal breakers to most players. What I'm getting at is that between the originals and the current state of the EEs lies a best-of-both-worlds version of BG in the vein of PST:EE (which was, IMHO, handled the way BG should have been handled, rather than going the Ecce Homo way).

How are the pickpocketing mechanics changed in the EEs? Tried to do a quick search, nothing relevant seemed to come up.

Link to post
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...