[Bug report] EE content bugs

jmerry

My game is bg2ee v2660. The visual effects of petrification and freezing won't show up in my game. When I hover over the petrified or frozen enemies the status is dead, but they just look like they are stopped in place with no hp. I tried reinstalling the game, start out a new character but nothing works. I used cone of cold, wand of cold, and chromatic orb to produce the frozen or petrification effects. No mods. Freshly installed. I have both gog and steam copies of the game they both have the issue.

I was just doing a quick mod for a request - changing Hexxat's class/kit to either Fighter/Thief or Shadowdancer - and I noticed something.

Hexxat's "Children of the Night" summoning ability OHHSUMM.SPL does not match it's description.

Per the description:

Level 1-10: summons 1d4 rats.

Level 1-20: summons 1d4 wolves.

Level 21-30: summons 1d4 shadows.

Actual effect:

Duration is 1 round per level, capped at 30 rounds for level 30+.

Level 1-10: summons 1d4+1 rats. Probabilities don't change based on level.

Level 11-20: summons 3 or 4 wolves; the probability of the fourth wolf increases from 10% at level 11 to 90% at level 19-20.

Level 21+: summons 3 or 4 shadows; the probability of the fourth shadow increases from 10% at level 21 to 90% at level 29+.

The effect here is a bit strange, and it certainly doesn't match the description. A change is needed.

I think this one is actually a 2.6 bug. 

Psionic Maze (SPIN774.SPL) already has the permanent op215 and op213 set in BG2EE and it sounds likely to me that SCS just clones the timing mode from the other opcodes. I'm not that certain in my spellfu though so I request someone else ( @Luke? You seem to like looking at these kind of stuff) to review and confirm.

2.6 changed the timing mode of the opcode 215 visual effect from 0 (instant/limited) to 1 (instant/permanent until death). But the visual effect is a one-time thing either way, so this shouldn't make a difference unless some other mod keys off it trying to alter the spell. Which leaves the question - why was this changed?

The opcode 213 Maze effect has timing mode 1 in both patches. Which is irrelevant, as the timing mode is ignored for maze effects with mode zero (use INTMOD.2DA). The "duration field" still matters, but it only sets an initial delay.

The base version of the spell should work fine.

On 6/3/2022 at 12:30 PM, jacklhoward said:

I was unable to get the orc vs troll waylay upon exiting coast way forest the first time as it is described here. https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Orc_vs._Troll_Waylay

This is by design--it rolls every eight hours, and 40% of the time it will force the encounter.

Spoiler
IF
    Global("BD_FRE","GLOBAL",0)
    !GlobalTimerNotExpired("BD_TIMER_URE","GLOBAL")
    Global("BD_URE1","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
    RESPONSE #40
        SetGlobal("BD_FRE","GLOBAL",1)
        SetGlobalTimer("BD_TIMER_URE","GLOBAL",EIGHT_HOURS)
        SetGlobal("BD_URE1","GLOBAL",1)
        ForceRandomEncounterEntry("BD0060","ExitSW")  // Random Area - Cave Entrance
    RESPONSE #60
        SetGlobalTimer("BD_TIMER_URE","GLOBAL",EIGHT_HOURS)
END
On 6/3/2022 at 12:30 PM, jacklhoward said:

Another trivial matter is that the rewards from freeing petrified statues in the woods due west at coast way crossing are weird. Some of them give a single magical arrow. While a guide online says the reward are a staff and potions.https://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgate/walkthrough/sod-coastwaycrossing.php

This is also by design. The guide is stating the rewards from saving the petrified characters as if they're fixed, but they're random. However the petrified characters carry items from the magic random tables: in total, three RNDMAG02 and one RNDMAG03. These can resolve to a number of minor treasures (including single arrows, or the stuff listed in the guide) or even nothing at all.

On 6/6/2022 at 7:37 AM, jacklhoward said:

When you are in the albino wyrm cabe in area bd5100 from SoD, if you exit too quickly the dialogues by companions won't trigger. And if you go to the spot for putting down the explosive the dialogues for the eyrm cave will trigger belatedly in place of the dialogue prompt that lets you put down the explosive.

Fixed, though I decided against expanding the trigger region. If it goes much larger it'll overrun other regions, plus allow for NPCs to comment even before the cave is in sight.

On 6/9/2022 at 9:02 PM, jacklhoward said:

My game is bg2ee v2660. The visual effects of petrification and freezing won't show up in my game. When I hover over the petrified or frozen enemies the status is dead, but they just look like they are stopped in place with no hp. I tried reinstalling the game, start out a new character but nothing works. I used cone of cold, wand of cold, and chromatic orb to produce the frozen or petrification effects. No mods. Freshly installed. I have both gog and steam copies of the game they both have the issue.

This is normal. A petrified/frozen enemy will die, frozen in place, and then will shatter (if gore is enabled) when struck, or fall down in the normal death animation (if gore is disabled).

On 6/18/2022 at 11:50 PM, jacklhoward said:

Buric the unyielding in dragomirs tomb will turn hostile even if you persuaded him to give you the key. Tested with a 17 charisma character, 18 with ring of human influence.

I'm unable to repro this one--getting the key via dialogue is the only path available where there's not an explicit Enemy() call. It's possible he's going hostile from a shout from another creature in the area, but there are only a few and they seem to be using different (or no) shout scripting.

SoD, map BD5000 (Underground River Entrance): The Myconid Cloud effect should not contain black outlines in the cloud animation. It's caused by an unset bit 13 (blended animation) in the extended flags field (offset 0x240) of projectile BDSTINK.PRO.

Original version:

Spoiler

tz8pkl7b802b.jpg

Fixed projectile flags:

Spoiler

ivupjp5ph1d7.jpg

I'm not sure if this can be counted as a bug, since it doesn't occur in the vanilla game:

Corinth's Bow +2 (BDBOW02.ITM) is a longbow you can find in SoD, which applies the mage spell "Luck" to the wielder after scoring a critical hit. This can be problematic in an EET game, since it will trigger the Cowled Wizards in Athkatla.