[Bug report] EE content bugs

jmerry

On 3/18/2022 at 1:27 PM, jmerry said:

- BG2EE/Dorn: At one point in his quest, you can raise a "dead" druid Vernus to use as a sacrifice. This is done with a variable-setting effect on resurrection spells. The patch 2.6 update to resurrection spells broke this mechanism, moving the payload (including that effect) to a subspell and preventing that subspell from being cast on living targets such as Vernus.

Fixed.

- BGEE/Black Pits: Characters exported from BP1 and imported to the main campaign retain the BPPLOT override script, which has unfortunate effects if the character ever drops to 1 HP.

- BGEE/Black Pits: Tier 2 and tier 3 jewelry shops BPXITH02 and BPXITH03 both have instances of the Sandthief's Ring (RING05). In the tier 2 shop, that's fully charged (8 charges). In the tier 3 shop, no charge number is specified and it defaults to one charge.

- BGEE/Black Pits: Tier 3 tailor shop BPELAN03 contains an Improved Cloak of Protection +2 (CLCK31). This cloak is not on the item exclusion list, so it can be worn with other protection items or enchanted armor.

- BGEE/Black Pits: The final normal foe Hogarl (BPGIAFIR) starts with potions of extra healing and fire breath. If he's hurt and has a potion of extra healing, he's scripted to use a potion of fire breath.

Fixed.

- BG2EE/Rasaad: At the end of his SoA quest, some dialogue choices cause him to leave. The action block contains both LeaveParty() and GivePartyAllEquipment() actions, causing it to duplicate any critical items Rasaad was carrying. 

Fixed.

- BG2EE/Hexxat: In her second tombwalk dungeon OH7200, there is a hidden chest. If you jump through the hoops to activate that chest, the block in the area script that activates it then plays repeatedly for as long as the area remains active. This effectively adds an overly loud ambient sound to the area, and prevents anything mods add to the end of the area script from running.

Fixed.

On 3/23/2022 at 1:38 PM, CamDawg said:

Yoshimo has a series of three dialogues with the PC inquiring about their past, but the second and third can't fire.

On 3/27/2022 at 2:59 PM, CamDawg said:

Some more minor BG2EE fixes I have laying around:

• The pries14a script can hang; it checks for the Confusion spell and then does nothing
  • On Legacy of Bhaal difficulty, the BP2 golem fight is virtually impossible. Basically, when the golems die they can potentially split into lesser golems based on level checks. With LoB's level boost the level checks no longer work properly and the golems endlessly split.
  • Six creatures added in the NPC quests use plat19 but should be using plat23. These plates are identical, but plat19 is the version you get through Wish and has zero lore, so it drops from enemies identified. 
  • The special stoneskin (melstone) used by dragons and Melissan lacks the correct secondary type so it cannot be breached.

These were fixed in one of the initial commits.

On 3/19/2022 at 2:32 AM, Lava said:

IIRC, I had to add flame shortsword bams from BG2EE to BG1EE as they are missing and while it's not something you will see without mods, I suppose that's also something worth fixing for the sake of mods.

Another thing was a missing monk (the hooded one, like tutors in Candlekeep) paperdoll (for the inventory screen). Again, it's not crucial but it's in there and can be fixed for a sake of mods.

AFAICT all of these animations are present in BGEE and SoD.

I've split Angel's report of the bonus spells from wisdom into its own thread for visibility and discussion.

On 3/25/2022 at 3:33 PM, Angel said:

Ankhegs are listed as a 3 HD creature, but have the stats and hit points of an 8 HD one.  This erroneously makes them vulnerable to Sleep which as an 8 HD creature they should not be.

Fixed. It patches any ankheg with less than 8 HD up to 8 as a few of the ones in SoD had 10 HD. While I was there, I also move their shells out of the quickslots so that it can't be pickpocketed--the BG2 ones already did this. (Not that you really get a chance to pickpocket an ankheg, but still.)

On 3/25/2022 at 3:33 PM, Angel said:

Poison Mists (mistpo01) are marked as a summoned creature but used as a wandering monster from spawn points.  No spell or effect summons them.

Fixed. Poison Mists are summoned by Barl, the Talonite priest, in Mazzy's personal quest. I've cloned new poison mists that are used exclusively by him, retaining the summoned gender, and changed the regular ones to gender: neither.

On 3/25/2022 at 3:37 PM, Angel said:

Small one for Balthasar: His "Solar Stance!" move is supposed to give him the flaming fists effect, but this doesn't trigger because an effect file, balth01b.eff, is missing.  (NB: Both Ascension's and UB's "Restored Bhaalspawn Powers" quietly fix this one.)

Fixed.

2 hours ago, CamDawg said:
On 3/19/2022 at 10:32 AM, Lava said:

IIRC, I had to add flame shortsword bams from BG2EE to BG1EE as they are missing and while it's not something you will see without mods, I suppose that's also something worth fixing for the sake of mods.

Another thing was a missing monk (the hooded one, like tutors in Candlekeep) paperdoll (for the inventory screen). Again, it's not crucial but it's in there and can be fixed for a sake of mods.

They're not :) I mean, few files are missing. Sending you additional descriptions in a PM as I will need to attach some stuff.

On 4/3/2022 at 11:03 PM, jmerry said:

Another quick one I just spotted now: the Priest of Tempus has incorrect starting equipment in ToB. The list includes entries "POTN4,2" instead of "POTN04,2" and "HAM07" instead of "HAMM07". And I'm pretty sure that means the game gives you nothing, not even a hunk of meat. (OHTEMPUS column in 25STWEAP.2DA. Should be the last nontrivial column.)

Fixed.

On 4/3/2022 at 11:03 PM, jmerry said:

And ... wait, I've known about this one for ages. Wilson's strength boost (ohrbear6.spl) uses the wrong timing mode (1 instead of 9), so it stacks every time he leaves and rejoins the party.

I went in to fix this and noticed a few other issues along the way:

• Wilson's AC was wrong at most levels. ohrbear7 would set it correctly--improving by two every six levels from AC6 to AC -2. However, on the next levelup Wilson would get his new paws, which would knock it back down to the previous level. For example, Wilson would improve to base AC 0 at level 18, and then go back to base AC 2 at level 19.
  • Speaking of those weapon upgrading spells, they also were setting his APR to the wrong value... which, it turns out, didn't matter since it was overridden by his offhand weapon also setting APR (in this case, correctly). The incorrect effects, though ultimately foiled, are nonetheless removed.
  • Wilson regenerates 1 hp/turn, which slowly upgrades as he levels. This was done by piling on additional 1 hp/turn effects as needed, which can result in wonky or uneven regen. These are now funneled into a single regeneration effect.
  • Strength bonuses are now handled purely by script; this prevents the exploit and also makes them appear in normal (e.g. non-green) color on the record screen.
  • Since I already had to mess with it, the kit table was extended out to level 50.

All of this is covered in this commit.

On 4/8/2022 at 8:37 AM, CamDawg said:

I'd change "1d2" to "one or two" or even just remove it. 1d2 indicates a 50/50 split, not the actual 65/35 split the spell uses.

After checking, this is exactly what oBG2 does. This is fixed and the description now reads (emphasis mine):

There are two parts to this spell. First, a small portal opens and summons one or two carrion crawlers to a point designated by the wizard. Second, the magic mutates the carrion crawlers into larger, more vicious versions of themselves. The wizard now has control over these creature(s) until they are slain or the spell's duration expires. There is a 35% chance that two carrion crawlers will be summoned instead of one.

Edited by CamDawg
typo
6 hours ago, CamDawg said:

Present, but after testing, not working, and now fixed. The flaming short sword now works on BGEE, and the monk paperdoll--which wasn't working since it was named incorrectly--is fixed on BG, BG2, and IWD.

On 4/15/2022 at 5:27 AM, CamDawg said:

While we're on this, there's a minor thing that's always bothered me: in BG, Albert says he's taking Rufie back to the Nine Hells and then turns into a tanarri. Tutu got this correct, where he turns into a cornugon instead.

Fixed.

Interwoven with this is about 150 PsTEE fixes already handled by @argent77.

On 4/24/2022 at 8:08 AM, hook71 said:

SoD - Paralytic Bolt should have the correct saving throw type, weight, and stun duration

Fixed by Luke already.

On 5/1/2022 at 7:10 AM, hook71 said:

BGEE - You should get gold when you return Perdue's short sword

This is a standard BG quest that's written with an assumption that the player takes specific actions, in a specific sequence, and breaks immediately or goes nonsensical otherwise. Perdue has a few entry points into his dialogue (listed by weight):

1. (never talked before) The normal intro where he asks about gnolls. Only specifically identifying them as gnolls and being careful not to insult him (at least not too much) "officially" gets you his quest and the variable set. There's literally only one path here.
  2. (charmed) One line about him being insecure.
  3. (accepted quest, but no sword) One line about hurrying up and getting his sword.
  4. (has sword) One line of thanks and he explicitly says he's giving you 50 gold: "Hmph. Figured maybe he'd eaten it by now. I hope you ran 'im through once or twice to get it, at least. Now take your 50 gold and be gone." How much gold you actually receive is tied to a variable that only gets set in the initial dialogue if you threaded it successfully, so it's basically 50 or 0.
  5. (always true) Stop bothering me.

So the quest reward branch (4) text assumes 50 gold, which is problematic. Unless you successfully threaded the initial dialogue, he gives you nothing as @hook71 notes. (The option to get 75 gold is actually in a disabled branch of the dialogue, so it's either 50 or nothing. He also only has 50 gold on him, which would be another roadblock.) The quest reward branch also assumes you know what he's talking about even if you never properly accepted his quest (e.g. all of the 'wrong' paths).

The upshot of this is that there's no clean fix here. I'd only suggest one change: turning in the sword always yields 50 gold. This is not out of line with other BG quests (e.g. the "wait, this was a quest?" quest) and, while I don't like the assumption that you know what he's talking about, we can't fix that without writing new dialogue or making big structural changes in the dialogue.

Another option is to disable the quest reward outright if the player hasn't accepted the quest. There's no way to go back and get the quest if you don't navigate the first dialogue successfully, so this feels punitive. Constructing a follow-up dialogue where you could get the quest later would be on par with the restructuring I'd like to avoid.

I'd defer the rest of it--e.g. restoring the possibility to get more gold (states 8 and 13, and the new text that would entail), or perhaps adding a second chance to get the quest--to UB, if @Angel is so inclined.

For now I've just made the change mentioned above where Perdue will always give you 50 gold.

On 5/8/2022 at 4:17 PM, CamDawg said:

From Discord: "Apparently I never talked to Lord Jierdan Firkraag in the tavern, and am now getting the quest to investigate Windspear Hill, after I already killed Firkraag in his dragon form."

On 5/10/2022 at 6:53 AM, Andrea C. said:

Might be as good a place as any to let you know that this is an issue with the Enhanced Editions too:

Both fixed in this commit. Firkraag will leave the Copper Coronet as soon as the events in Windspear begin (specifically, when Garren spawns). Dragon breath attacks are now no school, no secondary spells, with some extra fixes for the blue dragon breath as indicated by kjeron.

edit: Icasaracht's (IWD) breath weapon was previously fixed in this commit, and the only dragon breath attack in SoD is already correct.

Edited by CamDawg
1 hour ago, CamDawg said:

I'd defer the rest of it--e.g. restoring the possibility to get more gold (states 8 and 13, and the new text that would entail), or perhaps adding a second chance to get the quest--to UB, if @Angel is so inclined.

I'm actually not involved in BG1UB, that would be @AstroBryGuy and @jastey.  However, I am working on a small restorations mod of my own and might include this if they don't pick it up.  It would be some much-needed practice for me in writing actual dialogue.

BG1 actually has several quests that break down or make little sense if you don't follow the one true path [tm]; I have been meddling with some for a while now in my own mods.  Another thorn in my side has been the need to enter random people's homes to start several of the quests in BG1, it's not very compatible with my desire to play as a 100% pure good guy. ^^

18 minutes ago, Angel said:

Another thorn in my side has been the need to enter random people's homes to start several of the quests in BG1, it's not very compatible with my desire to play as a 100% pure good guy. ^^

There are cases in which hints are scattered around but they are hard to find for modern games' standards. For example, the quest you get from Mirianne in Beregost to find news of her husband is hinted at by someone on the second floor of Feldepost's Inn, if I recall correctly. Of course it would make more sense if you could acquire the quest only after having been tipped off, as in that case you would have cause to actively seek out Mirianne in the first place.

Edited by Andrea C.
On 5/16/2022 at 2:18 AM, Andrea C. said:

Fixed. The two menhirs that spawn a guardian if you failed with singing/questions were not checking the correct variable after defeating the guardian.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Fixed

I'm going to spin this off into its own topic, namely because I think I can foist this off on @DavidW as part of the 109/175 stuff.

On 5/23/2022 at 8:23 AM, CamDawg said:

Fixed. It patches any ankheg with less than 8 HD up to 8 as a few of the ones in SoD had 10 HD. While I was there, I also move their shells out of the quickslots so that it can't be pickpocketed--the BG2 ones already did this. (Not that you really get a chance to pickpocket an ankheg, but still.)

As a followup, I used my code from Tweaks to compare a creatures listed hit dice vs. their theoretical maximum HP to try and identify other creatures which have artificially low HD. You'd expect at least some creatures (e.g. bosses) to have higher, illegal HP, but even with that caveat... of the ~4700 creature files in BG2EE, I had ~1600 hits for investigation.