Tutu State of the Modding Union

berelinde

Hey people,

I haven't been active with modding the BG Saga when I played it last time (which was about 4 or 5 years ago?). But since I recently decided to fire up the entire Saga again and saw there was a lot available, I decided I would mod this time around.

This install guide is pretty nice, but I'm still missing 2 things that have me confused;

*Where in the install order do you actually have to install WeiDU itself?

*This is the entire list for Tutu, right? Since I also downloaded some other stuff and wasn't sure if they were meant to be put into the BG2, Tutu or BG1 folder (it's something that unfortanetely isn't very clear on a lot of mods; for which BG they were meant).

*Where in the install order do you actually have to install WeiDU itself?

You don't. WeiDU comes packaged with every mod that says it's WeiDU. Adding mods to Tutu is no different than adding mods to BG2: once you've installed the mod, you're done. As a player, you are not likely to need to download anything else.

*This is the entire list for Tutu, right? Since I also downloaded some other stuff and wasn't sure if they were meant to be put into the BG2, Tutu or BG1 folder (it's something that unfortanetely isn't very clear on a lot of mods; for which BG they were meant).

You have to understand that this list was assembled by people like cmorgan, Miloch, Gorilym, and others through compatibility testing on our own installations. There are bound to be some mods we haven't tried. The list is as comprehensive as possible, and we've been trying to make updates as mods are proven compatible with Tutu, like my post that preceeds yours, but we might have missed some. For example, AFAIK, compatibility testing for Ascension64's Tutu conversion of SimDingO's Unfinished Business for BG has not yet been completed, although several people are working on it.

Determining whether or not a mod will be compatible with Tutu depends on what the mod does. The question arises because they may reference things that might not exist in Tutu. A mod that changes all instances of sw1h01 to something that does quadruple damage against humanoids is going to have no effect on Tutu, because the conversion changes sw1h01 to _sw1h01. Sometimes, mod items will not stack with game items because the modder forgot to convert BG2 items to Tutu. As for Quest mods or NPC mods, if they don't say they are intended for Tutu or are Tutu compatible, they aren't. In the case of Rules/Tweaks/Fixpack mods, it depends on the mod, and sometimes, it depends on the component.

In any case, if you have any questions about specific mods not shown on the list, you should post them. Someone will probably know the answer.

This is the most important part of the post: if you intend to install a mod into your Tutu game, you need to install it into your Tutu directory. If you have installed EasyTutu (which you should have done if you are playing your game in English), install any mods intended for Tutu in your BaldursGateTutu directory. If you have installed Tutu v4, you will install mods in your BG2 directory.

EasyTutu only came out 7 or 8 months ago, so many mods that are older than that, and some that are newer, will give a different path name. You will need to change this to Program Files/BaldursGateTutu, or the path to your Tutu directory. You can do this by browsing a list as part of the installation.

> Lost Items [iEGMC]: Not currently compatible - causes serious dialog corruption. Verified installation and addition of a couple new weapons in Candlehold. Acts like a kit mod for monks (but only via the addition of a "monk tome"). Also acts like a minor NPC and portrait mod (tweaks Xan, Viconia, Imoen and Faldorn). Other components (bags of holding, "happy patch" etc.) superceded by BG2 Tweak Pack components. Archive missing a final ReadMe - drop my revision of the mod's notes into the archive before installing (or just ignore the readme error).
My revision of Lost Items is available by checking http://forums.spellholdstudios.net/index.php?showtopic=23549. You will also find Restored Textscreen Music there.

Berelinde; thanks for the reply.

Someone on another forum said I had to install WeiDU to make it work, so that's why I asked. They said I should just put it in my EasyTutu dir and not worry about it after that.

I think you misunderstood my second question; in the list there are some mods like 13.4; 'BG2 Tweaks Mod'. I was wondering if that was also for EasyTutu and Tutu, and if so, in which dir to put it.

As I understand it (but I wanted to ask to confirm), the list on the first post is everything that has been tested for EasyTutu and Tutu, so everything on the list (including mods that say 'BG2 tweakmod' or somesuch) work with Tutu and should be installed in the EasyTutu folder (if you are using EasyTutu).

Anyway, I think I got it worked out, and am playing EasyTutu right now and enjoying it a lot. All the mods I downloaded were listed in the first post (and even some I saw in the first post I downloaded because they sounded nice). So far I absolutely love it :D.

It seems like you understand where you're supposed to install stuff, and that's all that matters.

Some BG2 things do work on Tutu, like Tweaks (but not Fixpack), Ashes of Embers, *and* ShadowKeeper! Just point them all at your Tutu installation.

The only reason you would want to put WeiDU in your Tutu directory would be if you needed to decompile a file for troubleshooting an installation. You may need to do that someday. No promises. But you probably won't.

Back in September, WizWorm finished an NPC mod, Jonathan.

I have not personally evaluated it, so I can't offer any compatibility recommendations. The previous version had in item corruption that led to a fatal crash in FW3501, but I seem to remember him fixing that.

Maybe somebody can do some copatibility testing, but I've got enough alphas in my current install.

Anyway, here's the link, courtesy of PPG modlist and links:

http://mysite.verizon.net/wizwom/

berelinde, can you toss a note to igi, please? He is going through his list to see what works with Tutu, and I can update this thread based on his answers Monday - I think he would be interested in your feedback :)

Same for WizWorm - haven't heard from WW for awhile, but I bet if it isn't compatible he can make it so very quickly (if he is interested). I believ he is still in content development.

igi's mod has already been fixed, AFAIK, and BG1 Alternative Portraits works just fine with Tutu, and I'm using it now, in addition to Plasmocat's BG1 portraits in the BG2 style, BG1 NPC Portrait Pack, *and* a whole lot of planning with regards to portrait mods installation order.

Plasmocat first, since it isn't possible to add individual portraits, or it is, but I'm too lazy to edit my local tp2then the 2 that do allow individual portraits.

Plasmocat first, since it isn't possible to add individual portraits, or it is, but I'm too lazy to edit my local tp2then the 2 that do allow individual portraits.
Being as how cmorgan wrote the TP2 for Plasmocat, he could update it for that. :hm: I believe he was going to fix one of the BAMs anyhow (Imoen's I think, I pointed out a while back). I think there may have been one in the BG1 NPC Portraits to update too (Kivan's maybe). I don't have the revised portraits offhand (I'm not on my server) but a quick forum grep should bring them up.

Also, I had igi's mods and the Jonathan NPC on my "to-test" list (along with a bunch of other mods) but I was going to finish my current project before doing that or making any recommendations (though obviously, that shouldn't stop others from doing so :)).

Weidu version of Drizzt Saga for Tutu/BGT should be compatible when it comes out.

There may be clashes with mods which use Drizzt in any way (like BG1NPC's Dynaheir quest, for example) - drizzt's scriptname and dialogue are changed, and he's very likely to end up in player's party immediately after first talking to him.

I'm not aware if there are currently any mods which add new areas to Tutu worldmap? DS adds 4 new worldmap areas and since default EasyTutu worldmap doesn't have much free space, it's possible icons from different mods will overlap. BP-BGT WM6.4 support for Tutu side is in uncertain shape at the moment, I didn't get enough info to ensure it.

Also several new creature animations are added, but for the lack of such mods on Tutu-side it shouldn't cause animation slot conflicts.

Weidu version of Drizzt Saga for Tutu/BGT should be compatible when it comes out.

There may be clashes with mods which use Drizzt in any way (like BG1NPC's Dynaheir quest, for example) - drizzt's scriptname and dialogue are changed, and he's very likely to end up in player's party immediately after first talking to him.

Sounds like it wouldn't be fully compatible then - though maybe careful cross-mod compatibility planning would circumvent that (wouldn't just be Tutu since BG1 NPC is cross-platform). Do you have a forum link for this? Last I read about this mod, it was incomplete.
I'm not aware if there are currently any mods which add new areas to Tutu worldmap? DS adds 4 new worldmap areas and since default EasyTutu worldmap doesn't have much free space, it's possible icons from different mods will overlap. BP-BGT WM6.4 support for Tutu side is in uncertain shape at the moment, I didn't get enough info to ensure it.
There aren't any complete ones I'm aware of either. Red Carnelian is working on doing this in Stone of Askavar. Secret of Bone Hill adds new areas without modding (AFAIK) the worldmap. The BP-BGT Worldmap shouldn't be a required component for such mods (if for no other reason than it covers a much greater area than that encompassed by Tutu). And also AFAIK the problems with it and Tutu haven't been resolved. :)
Sounds like it wouldn't be fully compatible then

I meant merely compatible with Tutu, for now. I'm not so overly self-confident as to claim ultimate compatibility with each and every mod released. :) So far I only tested it with a clean EasyTutu install.

But offhand, I don't think BG1NPC is really incompatible as a whole, it's just that particular quest won't fire with DS installed.

Do you have a forum link for this? Last I read about this mod, it was incomplete.

Link to official forum at BWL: http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?showforum=103

Link to current discussion thread at SHS: http://forums.spellholdstudios.net/index.php?showtopic=23853

There's been a word that version 6.4 of WM is finished and should be more Tutu-friendly; but it still hasn't been uploaded anywhere public.

Cool news, pro5. Unfortunately my ability to test new mods is limited by my setup at present, but I'll get around to it eventually. :)

As for BG1 NPC's Drizzt... I think cmorgan was discussing recently the possibility of making him a different CRE, maybe to avoid some scripting problems. A side benefit of that would be perhaps avoiding incompatibility with mods like this one, and maybe with Macready's "Drizzt is Not Stupid," though I haven't actually tested that one either (with or without BG1 NPC). Though that might be kind of tough since all of these mods expect the Drizzt CRE to be where he is. Hopefully cmorgan can respond and make the choice on whether to change things and/or add these to the list. :hm:

(But I thought the point was to *kill* Drizzt so I can like totally wtfp3wn the game dude! Why would we want a mod that actually depends on his survival?)

[i'm joking on that last bit obviously (well sort of - I do end up whacking the guy more often than not :p). People take me seriously way too often for some reason. :)]

Archived