Tutu State of the Modding Union

berelinde

Being as how cmorgan wrote the TP2 for Plasmocat, he could update it for that. :hm: I believe he was going to fix one of the BAMs anyhow (Imoen's I think, I pointed out a while back).
I checked with Plasmocat (and will check again), but she seemed to prefer that it be an all-or-nothing shot rather than a single choice. i will ask about it! And I will see what the status is on the portrait update, 'cause I forgot (and after Miloch took the time to fix my favorite Imoen portrait, tooo... I should be flogged :) ).

There may be clashes with mods which use Drizzt in any way (like BG1NPC's Dynaheir quest, for example) - drizzt's scriptname and dialogue are changed, and he's very likely to end up in player's party immediately after first talking to him.

I'm not aware if there are currently any mods which add new areas to Tutu worldmap?

None of the standard ones that I play do... BG1 NPC uses some existing areas copied over in the Romance Challenges sections for dream cutscene staging and for challenges, but none of them touch/add to world maps. Dy's quest does not make any sense if Drizzt has had significant interaction with the party anyways! pro5, if you PM me details, we can work out a flagging system where users are stopped from installing that particular quest if your mod is there first, and/or pops a warning if BG1 NPC is installed first - I am trying to work this out for UB and Kagain's Quest, too. Macready's DINS mod is cool, but does indeed expect regular Drizzt dv/script etc.
As for BG1 NPC's Drizzt... I think cmorgan was discussing recently the possibility of making him a different CRE, maybe to avoid some scripting problems.
I decided against that because of compatiblility questions; we set up a Wait() section of the Activate() Deactivate() so that anyone using Drizzt could still keep locals on the .cre. I am hoping that we have solved this by other means.
Guest Guest_CBGB_*
In order to play BG2, you will have to move a transition save out, uninstall Tutu, and then mod BG2 appropriately before transitioning (moving a savegame over and importing your Tutu character).

I'm just confirming as I setup BG1 and BG2: I'll need to Uninstall Tutu to play BG2, and I should not add BG2 mods (including the G3 fixpack?) until then?

And if I use Easy Tutu, can I still use a character editor like Gatekeeper, especially for changing portraits? Or is there a different recommended way when playing BG Tutu?

Many thanks!

And if I use Easy Tutu, can I still use a character editor like Gatekeeper, especially for changing portraits? Or is there a different recommended way when playing BG Tutu?

When you are playing TUTU you will be using Shadowkeeper instead of Gatekeeper to edit your characters etc. There are also a couple of BG1 portrait packs available that replace all old portraits with all new portraits. You can preview it in G3 portrait section. :rant:

I'm just confirming as I setup BG1 and BG2: I'll need to Uninstall Tutu to play BG2, and I should not add BG2 mods (including the G3 fixpack?) until then?
If you're using EasyTutu (recommended unless you need a non-English install) you do not have to uninstall anything - it creates a separate installaltion from BG1 and BG2. You just have to have full, patched and unmodded BG1/BG2 installs when doing the EasyTutu installation (you can do what you want with them after that).
In addition to what Domi said, I would recommend installing alternate portrait mods instead of using a character editor. Many decent ones are available on this site (and listed in the original post).
When you are playing TUTU you will be using Shadowkeeper instead of Gatekeeper

Ah, that makes sense!

There are also a couple of BG1 portrait packs available that replace all old portraits with all new portraits.

Great! I do have some older portraits I've collected that I'd like to able to use, but it sounds like Shadowkeeper will do it, even with the new portrait packs, yes?

If you're using EasyTutu (recommended unless you need a non-English install) you do not have to uninstall anything - it creates a separate installaltion from BG1 and BG2.

That's great to know, and a great endorsement for Easy Tutu, at least for a first-timer like me. Thanks!

Getting there! A new question about Install order:

After BG/ToSC, BG2, ToB, ToB patch, then do:

- G3 BG2 Fixpack

- Easy Tutu

- G3 Tweakpack?

Or should those last three be in a different order?

Thanks again!

Install BG1 with or without Tales of the Sword Coast

Install BG2 with or without the Throne of Bhaal

Apply the official patch

Install EasyTutu

Add mods.

Order I've been using, that seems to work all right:

Tutufix v17 (selected components)

EasyTutu NPC Kit Selector

Quest mods (I like Grey Clan, Sirene's Call and BG1 Slime Quest)

BG1 NPC Project

NPC mods, if using

Graphical mods (portraits, avatars)

Tweaks (Ashes of Embers, BG2 Tweaks, Sword Coast Strategems)

Tutu GUI

Don't try to apply BG2 Fixpack to your Tutu installation. I don't think it will work.

I do have some older portraits I've collected that I'd like to able to use, but it sounds like Shadowkeeper will do it, even with the new portrait packs, yes?
Yes. You could also do it with a more full-fledged editor like Near Infinity. Or, you could write a portrait mod to do it more cleanly! :) Not hard to do if you already have the portraits in the right format. Would save having to muck about with an editor everytime you want to change something (though if you're going to make the mod public and it's not your work, I guess you'd want to at least credit the artists or get their permission if that's possible.)

- G3 BG2 Fixpack

- Easy Tutu

- G3 Tweakpack?

Aside from what Macready said, you can apply the BG2 Tweak Pack to both EasyTutu and BG2 separately (and should, if you plan on playing both :rant:).

All right, thanks for all the help here - I sure appreciate it. So, the recommended install order is:

- Easy Tutu

- G3 BG2 Fixpack - run twice, once for BG2, once for EasyTutu

- G3 Tweakpack - run twice, once for BG2, once for EasyTutu

Is that correct? Easy Tutu before both the Fixpack and Tweakpack?

Cmorgan and Macready both then clarify that EasyTutu doesn't need Tutufix - am I reading that correctly? But I could run the Degreenifier, and the optional NPC pack?

Hello -

- G3 BG2 Fixpack - run twice, once for BG2, once for EasyTutu

No - the BG2 fixpack is for BG2 only. Otherwise, looks fine.

Is that correct? Easy Tutu before both the Fixpack and Tweakpack?

Yes.

Cmorgan and Macready both then clarify that EasyTutu doesn't need Tutufix - am I reading that correctly?

There are still optional components in Tutufix v17 that you *could* install, but certainly nothing *required* for EasyTutu.

But I could run the Degreenifier, and the optional NPC pack?

Yes, these are both commonly used on EasyTutu.

Archived