Offtopic Anvil Discussion

the bigg

Drew: well, controversy or not, some questions were easy as pie yet somehow they were made ridiculously complicated (or rather avoided?): if most *Items* are collected from the creature inventories of *Tactical Encounters* which are based on *Fixes and Tweaks*, how breaking this e.g. to 3 components makes sense? Etc. Etc.

P.S.: but that is not why what you call "defense" has had so big "vehemence". As AvengerTeamBG has said, what else can you expect after insults? While kids such as TheBigg and SimDing0 can't take responsibility for what they say, and spread lies ("astroturfed accounts", "IA was asked to be put to all modlist categories" etc.), what can you expect? Well, at least now every intelligent person knows about their credibility, so at least my time spent here wasn't in vain for this reason either.

I've an impression that it's actually not me (as some people implied) who tries to defend something that can't be defended, because it's so tremendously evident.

In written speech, the only way to add some metacommunication are smilies, quotes and other signs -- you can't change your tone, stress etc. Now when there are 12 categories and a mod was asked to be added to 5, is this a lie or exaggeration:

Sikret now wants it placed in EVERY category on the modlist. (I'm not joking about this.)

No smilies, no quotation marks. Also, to my knowledge, the language offers the words "about", "approximately" and "almost" for such reasons as well. Now that even "I'm not joking" was attached, are you sure you can call that an exaggeration?

If it was asked to be in 11 or 10 categories, I wouldn't say a word. But 5 is less than the half of 12. Exaggeration?

Similarly, I don't see your point in the other case as well. An account can either be fake, or real. How can "astro-turfed accounts" be an exaggeration? Almost astro-turfed? Almost real?

Maybe 5 + 6 = 14, it's just an exaggeration.

In written speech, the only way to add some metacommunication are smilies, quotes and other signs -- you can't change your tone, stress etc. <blah>

I was going to stay silent (I have kick-started enough drama as of now), but you Baronius shouldn't really talk about "miscommunication", given the many times you took a joke for an insult - it's almost as bad as if I got angry over somebody insulting me because I was acting a n00b ;)

For those wondering and who do not believe that I am not credible, idiot, kid, delusional, empty, etc.: I know what I said, but it turned out it was pretty different from what I was finding a way to say. I did not rectify because

- I was having fun reading you bickering back and forth ;)

- what I actually meant to say is way more insulting to IA lovers than what I said, so I decided not to pour petrol over the flames.

Baronious, there are only so many times that one can beat the same drum (in this case, the ones about 5 vs 12 categories, or "astro-turfing") in an attempt to discredit an entire thread before one loses all credibility. Yes, you've made other arguements as well, but those have been lost because of your repetitivevness. You should just take satisfaction in your own superiority over those you are beneath you, and give it a rest.

I believe by the many answers and replies found here, the makority of the opinions is its controversial.

Perhaps, in the end, this is exactly what he wants. To make the mod seem controversial, so that new players checking in to this thread will try the mod just to see what all the fuss is about. Controversy sells.

Unfortunately what he doesn't seem to realize is that in doing so, he is a making a fool out of himself by going to such great lengths to defend a mod despite the fact that he is a grown man.

But fear not!! I WILL cure him from this wretched disease. I don't care how many pages this thread takes, I will make him come to his senses. ;)

Baronius, you asked me earlier what was I trying to "achieve" from my efforts in this thread. Well, there's your answer. I'm only here to help you. ;)

I am convinced that the "controversy" surrounding IA is derived nearly entirely from the vehemence with which IA is defended.
Reading that, followed by reply post of Baronius, made my day. ;)

(I don't mean to sound offensive, Baronius, but there is a saying that you should know when to stop. With your fast reply, you somewhat proofed Drew's statement, at least it can be seen this way. ;) )

Since this also seems to be "general opinion of Improved Anvil complaint handling", and not just "general opinion of Improved Anvil", I'll react to a point in Drew's post.

I can't say the same for the handling of complaints about IA.

Indeed, complaints are handled differently. "It's not for everybody" is said many more often, true. And indeed, topics (regardless if they are complaints or anything else) are moderated or closed if they are off-topic or the author made the final decision. And indeed, comments (regardless if they are complaints or anything else) may be moved or removed if they don't meet some basic criteria (e.g. if vulgar speech or trolling is done). And yes, we usually don't spend precious minutes to settle a dispute which ended in vulgar speech or provoking -- it's simply removed if the warnings were not listened to. (We aren't as nice as Weimer, then. But only with those who don't intend to accept the guidelines which are mostly based on common sense.)

So the whole "controversy" is also due to the different moderation policies. (It would be off-topic, so let's not discuss how "good" or "bad" these policies are.) To sum up, IMHO:

- Some people feel their IA problems are ignored all the time, and this disturbs them.

- Some people feel offended by BWL's moderation policies, and cannot accept them.

So IMO the "controversy" isn't about "how IA is made", rather about "how IA complaints" are handled. Well, as someone pointed out, there is no need to repeat the same thing 10 times, so let this be the last: I'm afraid BWL & IA won't change, no matter how many long threads will deal with them. Don't get me wrong, I've no way nor intention to prevent these.

All in all, I admit complaints may be handled differently by us, but it's not necessarily incorrect. Just different from the usual. Those who managed to get friendly with that different approach, are now happy users of IA forum (too). Their number isn't high (though increasing), but that's not the goal either. Everyone can freely decide whether to join the community or not.

Archived