Offtopic Anvil Discussion

the bigg

Guys and gals, please heed the wisdom of Baronius's words,. Take a moment to feel pity for those misguided souls who have fostered an irrational dislike of a mod (and/or modder) and dog it from site to site in order to assuage their own egos. Be gentle and supportive and don't name them by name, for as Baronius sagely notes, many of them don't realize what they're doing.

Come on, people! Cam made a perfect backhanded book-end to this little debacle, cleverly pointing out the enormous irony and hypocrisy in the aforementioned admonishment, and you had to go and ruin his point by spelling it out and adding invective to it? Sometimes, subtlety is best. Cam, you should have locked the thread after posting this.

Drew, what game is your picture from? It seems so familiar but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Cam, you should have locked the thread after posting this.

No. If he had done that, in that case, the only hypocrite would be none other than Cam himself.

I gotta hand it to Cam. He stuck true to his word of maintaining a no-censorship policy. Even if he did lock the thread permanently, this "debacle" might resurface on another thread. Instead, he played smart and let the parties involved settle this on their own.

Go Cam! ;)

I believe SimDing0's last post is pretty much the ultimate visual representation of "Extremely cute and fluffy and lovely" ;) I'm glad that everyone is now living in perfect harmony ;)

Yeah, getting tired of arguing can happen sometimes. Actually, arguing should at least include some arguments, but that's not what was happening. I forgot to mention it in a previous post anyway:

Seriously, using this psychological tactic, where the arguments of the opponents are termed in a dismissive or patronizing way to weaken them, and to make oneself look superior, is one of the reasons I have a hard time to take Baronius' arguments seriously.

Well, there is freedom of speech and everyone can express what (s)he wishes. But one should be intelligent enough not to make determined statements about something he or she doesn't know well enough. Even with the best effort, some things in a topic cannot be explained to someone who lacks the required background knowledge. This is like me going to a scientific conference in oil industry, indeed I would get dismissive reactions if I tried to talk in a topic I'm not an expert of (and no one would try to explain anything to me, because I wouldn't be taken seriously). So yes, when it's evident (so not a borderline case) someone has insufficient information in a field and makes statements (which may mislead others) AND defends these statements arrogantly, it's really doesn't do any good. There is no bigger shame than being ignorant in a field, making confident statements and -- on top of it all -- arrogantly defending these statements. At maximum, humble statements can only be made in such a case.

But it's my fault here, because after examining cmorgan's and others' serious considerations, I also considered that kid as a partner, instead of sending him back to high school. I'm sorry for this mistake.

Well, that was what I skipped from an earlier post and now it was told; now I guess the thread can continue functioning as a playground. (No offense, everyone has to relax daily somewhere.)

But it's my fault here, because after examining cmorgan's and others' serious considerations, I also considered that kid as a partner, instead of sending him back to high school. I'm sorry for this mistake.

Kid! ;) I wish I was. :wub:

Somehow I knew you were still obsessed with me. Guess I should never take your "I've finished with you" lines seriously anymore.

Actually, arguing should at least include some arguments, but that's not what was happening.

Yeah, the way you introduced your joke thesis about why you hate the dreaded fixpack into an unrelated discussion is exactly how one should argue, right? :) Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Speaking of which, I just realized that when you get right down to it, I really don't see how your tirade against the fixpack is any different from my rant against IA. You know what that means? WE'RE BOTH ON THE SAME TEAM!! ;);)

Archived