Revised Potions

Demivrgvs

Potion of Invulnerability and PfMW

Am I the only one here, who finds these talks pointless? By the time a wizard can use 6th spells, there're no groups of opponents who's use a mix of magical and mundane weapons. And even if by some miracle there are, then they hardly deserve any attention to beat into meat pulp.

Unless we talk about RR, that's it, though I still can't imagine a normal weapon being dangerous against Stoneskin, etc.

Potion of Invulnerability and PfMW

Am I the only one here, who finds these talks pointless? By the time a wizard can use 6th spells, there're no groups of opponents who's use a mix of magical and mundane weapons. And even if by some miracle there are, then they hardly deserve any attention to beat into meat pulp.

Unless we talk about RR, that's it, though I still can't imagine a normal weapon being dangerous against Stoneskin, etc.

You know what? I think I may agree with you once again...this potion still cost more or less 1000gp, thus I don't think it's a great deal for mages, especially if you use SR which nerfes PfMW to 3 rounds. We'll have time to change this before v3 is out if some of you help me beta-testing this component.

Speaking of which...

Beta Release

I'm not sleeping tonight to try finish everything and release this component in the morning. :) If I manage to do that I'd be grateful to players who'd like to help me by testing it, because Mike is forcing me to release IR v3 before the first half of January and this component should be fully tested and proofreaded before that time! :)

P.S I'll include Six's suggestion but I have one big doubt...there are two Marek's potion of antidote!! Six suggested me to mod potmare.itm, but what the hell is potn47.itm then?!

Good catch. MAREK.CRE actually drops POTN47.
I've temporary put this "fix" on hold but I'll probably include it asap.

I've just finished my work and considering it's 6 a.m here I think I'll try to sleep 1-2 hours. I'll leave everything to Mike, but I think we're releasing this anytime soon.

P.S I've also updated the first post on this topic to include all potions and to keep up with the recent discussions...

night

The beta version of this component has now been attached to the first post in this thread. Please note that it has yet to be tested or proofread and should be only downloaded by those who like to live on the wild side.

Once this has been tested a bit, we'll be incorporating it as a component in IRv3, coming soon.

Revised Potions: not a betatest but I've manually checked every .spl file. Here's some report about that.

- cannot install because of potn56.spl

- Fire Resistance potion: description doesn't clearly states about bonus. For me it sounds as setting resistance on 50%, where actual effect just grants you +50%.

- potion of Heroism uses Bless opcode which should grant to you Saving Throw Bonus, not Damage Rolls.

- potion of Heroism actually lasts 600 seconds (10 Turns instead of 5)

- POTN10.spl should contain effect of Invisibility, not Invulnerability

- POTN13.spl Sets Melee Effect of itself, not any Fire Damage.

- Red/Violet Potions: 8 Hours is for sure 2400 seconds? Invisibility have duration of 7200 seconds. But you're right if Stoneskin is right. It lasts 3200 seconds (8h/12h = 2400s/3200s). But I've always thought that 1 Hour lasts 5 Turns. Dunno. Checked on vanilla installation (I think it's even without BG2 Fixpack).

- You didn't mentioned that Elixir of Healing is best solution for hangover in whole Faerun! Give me few for new year party.

- POTN18: Play Sound Effect is delayed on 600 seconds, should be 300 as rest of effects.

- dunno why POTN21 (Potion of Clarity) sets Proficiency number 119 to '1'. I've thought that it should be Display/Prevent Special Effect Icon but 119 is Improved Mantle so probably not.

- not sure about reading it in proper place, but in POTN26.spl range value is set on 30 feet where in description there's 40 feet.

- Typ0 in Potion's of Sharp Eyes description: "this potion is ble to see in darkness"

- POTN32: (maybe only in polish version) Displayed string mentions Cursed Potion of Sleep, not Slow (effect of potion is State: Slow).

- I'm too lazy to check all of POTN33 effects!

- POTN35 displays "Shielded" icon? It sucks a bit. Why it provides 50% resistance to ELEMENTAL (Acid/Cold/Electricity/Fire) damages, I've thought that it affects only 'Magic Damage'.

- POTN39: Protection from Backstab effect lasts 60 seconds instead of 600.

- POTN41: again I'm not sure about Bless opcode. It should raise ThaC0 and Saving Throws, not ThaC0 and Damage. IESDP doesn't mention that in Casting Level Modifier there exists Type: 2 which means BOTH. Or "all so with Innates" (that would be cool for Innate abilities).

- POTN42: again dunno why you're setting this stupid Proficiency.

- POTN44: Strenght Modifier lasts only 300 second when should last 600. Ouch, every effect lasts 300 seconds (5 Turns, should be 10, if I should refer to description)

- POTN45: Proficiency! it's some goddamn cool WeiDU trick which looks as innocent opcode only to cretins like me! High five for a person who will check all of the POTN45 effects. Really. Not me.

- POTN46: again, lasts 5 Turns when description states that 10.

Okay, I've checked everything with exceptions of POTN33 and 45. I hope that it'll help you a bit. And sorry for doing it so late, and for being lazy to NOT fix installation etc.

Potion of Strenght/Agility/Fortitude/Insight/Genius

My 2 cents on this. I would remove the set to 18 altogether and just make them all grant a +4 to the statistic. Perhaps it'd be a bit dull and derivative but it's an easy and clean solution. It would be good to reintroduce the bonus vs spell that Wisdom should grant as per P&P (I didn't know that it was never implemented! :) )

not a betatest but I've manually checked every .spl file. Here's some report about that.
Thanks!!

- cannot install because of potn56.spl
Mike forgot to fix this (I did but the version he has was 5 minutes older than mine :) ), it's a small line to be changed in the tp2 (COPY ~potion_rev/itm/potn04.spl~ ~override~, insteaod of COPY ~potion_rev/itm/potn56.spl~ ~override~).

- Fire Resistance potion: description doesn't clearly states about bonus. For me it sounds as setting resistance on 50%, where actual effect just grants you +50%.
I don't understand...isn't "This potion bestows upon the person drinking it 50% resistance from all fire-based attacks, whether magical or non-magical in origin. This is on top of any other resistance the creature might have, but multiple uses of this potion are not cumulative." clear enough?

- potion of Heroism uses Bless opcode which should grant to you Saving Throw Bonus, not Damage Rolls.
No, 'bless' opcode grants +x to hit/damage rolls. I did some tests long ago for SR.

- POTN10.spl should contain effect of Invisibility, not Invulnerability
I don't understand, it's fine in my install. I'll double-check.

- POTN13.spl Sets Melee Effect of itself, not any Fire Damage.
What do you mean? I've just tried it and it works fine.

- You didn't mentioned that Elixir of Healing is best solution for hangover in whole Faerun! Give me few for new year party.
It was there, I didn't removed it. Should I?

- dunno why POTN21 (Potion of Clarity) sets Proficiency number 119 to '1'. I've thought that it should be Display/Prevent Special Effect Icon but 119 is Improved Mantle so probably not.
It's used by SCS to detect the potion.

- POTN32: (maybe only in polish version) Displayed string mentions Cursed Potion of Sleep, not Slow (effect of potion is State: Slow).
There's no such string in vanilla, it's called Antidote, and I've renamed it Strange Antidote. It caused and still cause slow.

- I'm too lazy to check all of POTN33 effects!
:)

- POTN35 displays "Shielded" icon? It sucks a bit. Why it provides 50% resistance to ELEMENTAL (Acid/Cold/Electricity/Fire) damages, I've thought that it affects only 'Magic Damage'.
I've left this unchanged as per vanilla.

- POTN41: IESDP doesn't mention that in Casting Level Modifier there exists Type: 2 which means BOTH. Or "all so with Innates" (that would be cool for Innate abilities).
I think it works on everything, but I haven't tested it. :)

- POTN42: again dunno why you're setting this stupid Proficiency.
Again, SCS uses it to detect the potion. If SCS correctly patches these potions I won't need to put these "proficency" opcodes anymore.

- POTN45: High five for a person who will check all of the POTN45 effects. Really. Not me.
Well, I have to remove the ones which don't come within the .spl file. :)

I hope I can fix everything before going away (I'll be out of country for a few days) and put the fixed version online today.

I've updated the first post with the new Beta 2 version of the component. I should have fixed everything reported by yarpen. :)

Potion of Strenght/Agility/Fortitude/Insight/Genius

My 2 cents on this. I would remove the set to 18 altogether and just make them all grant a +4 to the statistic. Perhaps it'd be a bit dull and derivative but it's an easy and clean solution.
Fine with me, I'll let players decide on this matter.

It would be good to reintroduce the bonus vs spell that Wisdom should grant as per P&P (I didn't know that it was never implemented! :) )
I cannot do it without patching the exe.

I'd take this, maybe in the tweaked a bit form.

- Potion of Strenght/Agility/Fortitude/Insight/Genius: I don't see any better solution than replacing them with some additional, nice potions. But if you want to stay with them, my proposition is:

Potion of Strenght

+2 to Strenght

+1 to thaco and +2 to damages

Potion of Agility

+2 to Dexterity

+1 to AC, additional +1 to AC vs. missles

+1 to saving throw vs. breath

Potion of Fortitude

+2 to Constitution

+10 additional hit points

Immunity to fatigue.

Potion of Insight

+2 to Wisdom

+1 to saving throw vs. spells

+1 to divine spellcasting level

Potion of Genius

+2 to Inteliigence

+10 to lore bonus

+1 to arcane spellcasting level

Personally I don't like mind-attributes boost potions. They're really non-rpg in any way. You can boost Minsc's wisdom to 18 very easily. This should be reflected in banters. And that would be stupid. Is it strange that I do like my idea of revising stat-boost potions? ;]

Potion of Fire Resistance: yup, I'm just a dumb-one. But maybe can you add to 50% "+50%"? :)

Potion of Invisibility: I've just checked .spl file so probably you didn't externalised Invisibility effect to spell.

Potion of Flames: dawg, I'm really dumb. It's using .eff file of course!

Elixir of Healing: I don't think so. Still, effect is cute.

Strange Antidote: I don't like idea of renaming it. It's a part of being cursed that without proper checking of description you don't know that you've bought false potion. Yup, again you don't know BG1 ;] But for being sure, check Display Text String effect in .spl, okay boss?

Okay Revision team and supporters, happy new year because I'm going to be drunk to death.

Archived