New Baldur's gate?

Haplo

Long time player here, appreciate all the hard work modders do, and that is why I'm not excited about anything EE. It's just another scam to get people to spend money.

Let's face it. Gibberlings 3 is BG3 (and everything BG and infinity related). It's this community who has kept the game fresh with new NPC's and quests, tweaks and fixes, and everything else.

And now I'm supposed to jump on the bandwaggon because some corperate money is thrown around? Please, give me the creativity and care by the community over money grabbing corperate schemes anyday.

I assure you BG3 will be crap if they ever make it. Talk to the Diablo fans right now, they are reeling. You don't want this.

Just saying, Atari is crap, and locked out many fans from premium content they had already purchased. I don't trust them to do anything worthy of the greater Baldur's Gate gaming community. Imagine if you will, they continue their designs, and move on to BG3 in the spirit of the day, which is buyable in game content, and an online platform to prevent pirating, which is the only way to be profitable.

Want a new NPC, or dungeon? Just $5 please.

What the community here have done, is far more impressive to me, than some empty promises from a software development team. Everything done here was done out of love for the game. I have seen many classic games return over the years, most turn out awful. My statement really is, just be wary, it won't be like all the air castles you're making in your head.

Just saying, Atari is crap, and locked out many fans from premium content they had already purchased. I don't trust them to do anything worthy of the greater Baldur's Gate gaming community. Imagine if you will, they continue their designs, and move on to BG3 in the spirit of the day, which is buyable in game content, and an online platform to prevent pirating, which is the only way to be profitable.

Want a new NPC, or dungeon? Just $5 please.

What the community here have done, is far more impressive to me, than some empty promises from a software development team. Everything done here was done out of love for the game. I have seen many classic games return over the years, most turn out awful. My statement really is, just be wary, it won't be like all the air castles you're making in your head.

As stated earlier, you buying the game is completely optional. I'm fairly certain that the developers would not miss your $5. You can still go and play all the modded versions of BG and BG2 and you can be happy. I will be happy playing a nice "fancy" BG:EE. The truth while it is just a re-release (in your eyes) it will also generate more fans, and a somewhat larger community. As other people (of those whom had not had the privelage of playing the original games in their youths for other reasons) will now be able to play baldurs gate (since we know it'll be cheap they will likely buy it.) Since we all know Baldur's Gate is a really good game. Nothing is changing from the really good game it was way-back-when, so new fans will be able to enjoy the really good game.

obtw its not just a new NPC and a quest.

I'm just a gamer stating my opinion.

My beef with Atari is over the lost premium NWN modules, and really, both Atari and Bioware were at fault. I think games are so vapid these days, it's hard to get excited about anything, but an enhanced edition of BG1 is not really the issue. It is the possibility of a future BG3 title that might spring out of it. I'm fairly certain it wouldn't live up to expectations, if it was not a complete piece of garbage right out of the box. They shouldn't do it. They shouldn't think about doing it, they should just, let it go.

This is the same thing as all these retread movies coming out. Why did we need, True Grit with Jeff Bridges? Why do we need the A Team, redone? Someone might say, "Hey why not?" Sure, and while were at it, let's just put Disneyland in the Grand Canyon. It doesn't hurt anything. While these arguments may be a bit over the top talking about BG3, as a gamer and a fan of the series, I just don't like to see things that I have a deep appreciation for tampered with in that way. Others differ in their opinions, and don't care one way or the other. Just so they can buy something new. I like the Grand Canyon the way that it is. I like the Mona Lisa, the way that it is. You don't enhance those things, you just experience them.

buying the game is entirely optional

So? Does that make it immune to criticism? What an odd way to argue.

This game will, worst case scenario, split the modding and player base between "old" BG with all the mods (the best gameplay experience) and "new" BG with fewer mods (a "fresh" experience). Hopefully all essential mods will be ported.

What I'm trying to find out, is why anyone should buy this? Because of a few quests and an NPC? Or what? With the above concern being relevant, since we have no idea about mod support, what possible reason is there for me to buy this? Almost everything BG:EE does seems to be done by mods already.

Why must the worst case scenario necessarily apply? Or, conversely, why must there be no best case scenario in which BG:EE is actually a good thing? Sounds like a pessimistic way to see things. As for why anyone should buy BG:EE, that's not for me to tell. Everyone's entitled to their own purchase decisions.

Some modders are interacting with the devs on a daily basis and even collaborating with them. Just a heads up.

Now that I had and Ipad 2 I'll definetly buy the Ipad version, just to think that I'll be able to wipe out goblins,orcs,Bhodi & Cia, anywhere I am.....

:D

And as for the PC well..... I will recommend people to wait and see what happens, there's no real point to debate now, not knowing for certain how's gonna be, but I agree that the obvious question still remains.... What else can BG:EE give us that over 12 years of modding didn't already??

Tho there was someone that said that because they have the source code they can actually do twice as many things or even more than the existing mods are at the moment

Well, after quite some time I'll add my comment here.

Potentially in my opinion, every remake can be good, so even BG:EE. Said that, it can be a very difficult thing. In fact, a really good remake follows these directives:

1) Solves all bugs left in the original game

2) Upgrade the final product to be compatible with the new OS (including possible technical upgrades: ex. faster loading times, widescreen support, etc.)

3) Restore the graphic without really changing the visuals (just allowing for higher resolutions, better textures, etc.)

4) Correct spelling mistakes and/or improve on translations when required

5) Will NOT do anything more than what illustrated above

Since Baldur's Gate has been one of the games with the most ambitious and competent modding community, the best thing to do would be to let our most prominent modders be directly involved in the development process. I can't even think of a remake that won't include core fixes made by TobEx and the G3 BG2 Fixpack, just for starters. And I am sure DavidW could contribute wonderfully to build a better base AI for the game.

I don't know anything but I am hoping this is what is going to happen. On the other hand, their release is scheduled for Summer 2012 (?) and if that was the case, wouldn't we know anything about it here?

We'll just have to see, I guess...

I'm looking forward to the new mac release (iPad too). Haven't played in a while and the original will not run on Lion.
Crikey, where the hell have you been, mate? Does this mean you might be motivated to finish your NPC mod? :D

Btw, for you naysayers, BG:EE is not a mass-corporate Atari release. It might've required some negotiation with them as far as licenses but it is a smaller developer handling this, which is a good thing IMO.

Upgrade the final product to be compatible with the new OS (including possible technical upgrades: ex. faster loading times, wid

Since Baldur's Gate has been one of the games with the most ambitious and competent modding community, the best thing to do would be to let our most prominent modders be directly involved in the development process. I can't even think of a remake that won't include core fixes made by TobEx and the G3 BG2 Fixpack, just for starters. And I am sure DavidW could contribute wonderfully to build a better base AI for the game.

I have a day job...

Upgrade the final product to be compatible with the new OS (including possible technical upgrades: ex. faster loading times, wid

I have a day job...

No, you need to quit that, David. *cracks whip*

Archived