New Baldur's gate?

Haplo

I think its actually pretty good (on my machine).

It seems to plays more smoothly than Tutu. I like the zoom function and think (when fully zoomed out) it looks comparable to the widescreen mod. The GUI is upscaled and isn't tiny like BGT/Tutu at high widescreen resolutions. The backgrounds look fine and no worse than Tutu, given that they didn't have access to the original art they couldn't do a huge amount here. There is additional detail in the inventory/character screens, both of which (I think) look much better. The only thing I think could be improved is that the spell icons aren't very good quality, and there are a few buttons on the GUI which are blurry.

Some of the initial problems which have been reported (disappearing cursor, crashes) have been patched out.

I need to spend more time playing it, but so far I'm pretty happy with the purchase. However perhaps I am more tolerant of small changes to the classic formula (I thought the start up movie was OK, despite lots of screams of protest from fans) and had relatively modest expectations about what this update would achieve.

Bueh... I can see that the modder community is rather angry at BG:EE...... when it was announce I already made up my mind of not buying the PC version (at least at the beggining and buy it ONLY if it proves to be a real enhancement, and it set a new path for modding), I've been reading that the IOS version it's been rejected by apple due to bugs and that's the hold up for. In any case I can't say nothing about it because I didn't play it, but if I have to trust the community (and I don't see a reason why I shouldn't) it doesn't look good, hope they'll fix it soon, whatever they have or can fix.

As for the IOS version, well as an Apple devices user, I know for a fact that many applications release patches and updates quite often, so I don't think that Apple would have say no, unless the bug or bugs are quite the issue. Hope they solve that quick too, for I still looking foward to play my beloved BG anytime anywhere.

I'm pretty happy with it, too. I like the new characters and areas and the new inventory screen. I'm fine with the movies so far, too. I just want to add Gavin, Xan, and Ajantis romances! But so far so good. I haven't experienced the bugs others have. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

In any case I can't say nothing about it because I didn't play it, but if I have to trust the community (and I don't see a reason why I shouldn't) it doesn't look good, hope they'll fix it soon, whatever they have or can fix.

The community's reaction is what has disappointed me. I feel that people have been overly critical and demanding, and a lot of posters on the established mod sites look like they're opposed to the project simply because it might shake up the situation. I don't see a reason why you should trust the community instead of forming your own opinion based on either playing it yourself or whatever evidence (other than forums' oddly close-minded responses) you might have access to.

Now that the game is out I can say I am glad that this all happened because of the involvement of talented modders which is likely to translate into an update of some favourite mods for the original game (I think of BG2 Fixpack and ToBEX...) due to new bugs found and squashed. This is going to benefit the whole community.

Said that, I would say that the only people that might be happy with this version are those that do not care about installing mods to improve the original one and those who want to play it on iOS or Android. If that is the case, I could say it is a success and a must-buy, despite the fact that, in my opinion, the new score does not meet the excellence of Michael Hoenig's, the new movies are amateurish in quality and comparable to some of those flash applications that abound on the internet, the GUI took some times a turn for the worse (a disconcerting bluish hue permeates what once was a nice and fitting stone-grey coloured interface) and the new content is nothing to write home about.

Honestly though, the mission was really difficult: to try and improve upon a masterpiece like Baldur's Gate (which became literally a legendary game with the addition of quality modifications) was a daunting task. They tried to make it different enough to warrant its purchase but without major changes what is left is a limited new content that in many cases do more harm than good.

In any case I can't say nothing about it because I didn't play it, but if I have to trust the community (and I don't see a reason why I shouldn't) it doesn't look good, hope they'll fix it soon, whatever they have or can fix.

The community's reaction is what has disappointed me. I feel that people have been overly critical and demanding, and a lot of posters on the established mod sites look like they're opposed to the project simply because it might shake up the situation. I don't see a reason why you should trust the community instead of forming your own opinion based on either playing it yourself or whatever evidence (other than forums' oddly close-minded responses) you might have access to.

I never meant that I will believe the community above others, what I meant was that since I did not play it and I'm not planning to (in PC),unless BG:EE sets as the new base for the modding community leaving behind the original, I have to trust in the feedback the community or magazines gives, and that, because that feedback is what it is, I was hoping that, if there are bugs or problems they get fix soon.

I would say that since this is not a 4.2M kickstarter project, but a project someone order to Beamdog (at least that what the specialized magazines said), it looks more of a long term project, which means, I get the game to sell as soon as possible with the minimun changes required, I make some profit with the PC, iOS and Mac, and keep developing the game with that profit, also test the profitability of such a movement and see how ppl react to preper the way for BG2:EE, and since it looks like the ultimate goal is BG3, if the whole thing gives enough profit and reactivate the community and attrack new players, I personaly think that people should be more patience and see how they "play it", after all, if you want to buy the game is your own choice, no one is putting a gun on your head and forcing you.

But here is the thing, if finally, BG:EE and BG2:EE, set as the new base to start modding, I guess all of those who are now lashing about, will end up purchasing it, me included

From Salk -

Said that, I would say that the only people that might be happy with this version are those that do not care about installing mods to improve the original one and those who want to play it on iOS or Android. If that is the case, I could say it is a success and a must-buy, despite the fact that, in my opinion, the new score does not meet the excellence of Michael Hoenig's, the new movies are amateurish in quality and comparable to some of those flash applications that abound on the internet, the GUI took some times a turn for the worse (a disconcerting bluish hue permeates what once was a nice and fitting stone-grey coloured interface) and the new content is nothing to write home about.

No, actually, I do not have iOS or Android, and I care A LOT about modding. I enjoy this version because I love Baldur's Gate, period. I also have every faith that modders will figure out the coding and mods will soon become compatible.

I love this game so much that I look forward to any new content. Is all of it spectacular? Maybe not, but so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit nonetheless. I like the new characters. Also, I suppose it may be because I'm a child of the 60's, but animation is not super high on my list of priorities. I like and appreciate them, but they are not my main concerns or things I would bellyache about.

Hells, my first game was "Pong" and I thought it was great. :)

THAT said, I do with they had not released it before they had done more bug-squishing.

Bueh... I can see that the modder community is rather angry at BG:EE......

Maybe I've been spending more time on the BGEE forum and not on the modding sites, but this hasn't been my impression at all. A lot of us turned up and participated in the beta and development and, at least among the modders I've been seeing, there's been quite a bit of excitement and support.

point is that I have Baldur;s Gate 2 "non-enhanced" installed and working perfectly on win8 with all the mods I want. for free.

thats all. i don't need any enhancements because I already have them.

I try browsing forums whenever I can, and I don't see much of a party, to be honest; and among those who played, reviews are mixed. Besides, mods are working quite well for EasyTutu and aren't working for BG:EE(yet). Feel the power: if nobody fixes Weidu, nobody's going to play BG:EE, and those guys will just go bankrupt. Maybe they should learn Weidu? Actually, now that's a thought...

Well, I have my IPad version of BG:EE and it's just great, so far so good, just need to get used to to tap with my finger and be careful not to throw spells to my companions.... It can be a bit tricky, but I love the fact that I can take BG anywhere I want.

I would improve a few things tho, one of them being that when issuing orders to your characters there isn't a way to know for certain that it's been correctly issue, for exemple,attack goblin n1, on PC u have the blade or spell icon until you select the monster you want to attack, then it disappears as a confirmation, in here that is not happening, and there can be a bit of confusion.

But the game runs smoothly and the screen adaptation is great, I really like it, tho I need get a bit farther in, to see if is bug free.

I have trampled the sword coast with an all-evil party in BG:EE. Adding Dorn to my group. Just hit Chapter 7, though I still need to attack the TotSc part of the game. I love it. Other than a few quirky bugs I have encountered, nothing game-breaking.but nothing that overrides the fact that the game plays smoothly, is much better on the eyes, adds another 3 NPCs(Dorn is a monster in melee...). Great fun!

I have noticed a lot of complaints in the Beamdog forums, but also a TON of praise as well. The hiccups they have had are being fixed rather quickly. They seem to be trying hteir best to address the known issues asap, so thumbs up to them. I recommend this edition to any BG fan out there. Can't wait BG2:EE and IWD:EE..... (wishful thinking, I know..)

OMG, OMG, OMFG!!! (= I finally installed it).

... They are not using Female2 soundset.

I have no words about new GUI, or new movies, or the much smaller screen, compared to Tutu+Widescreen, or teh terrible white double character circle ... well, OMFG pretty much sums it all, yeah, and not in a positive light(except, okay, for the total attribute score roll - it was good). But why in the Nine Hells didn't they include BG2 soundsets, since they have the current copyright, anyway?

Anyway, I'll go install BG2 and copy the soundset from there. Sigh. But OMFG, the GUI, the GUI... AAAARGH!

... I'll go and play some KOTOR. Honestly, even reloading for the tenth time for the third swoop race on Manaan is better than this.

Archived