Mod Compatibility List for EET

Thank you Shin, that seems like a good enough rule of thumb. 

I can't actually say yet for sure, Jastey. I'm going through my weidu.log now to see. It may well be that everything has been ported by now. :)

EDIT: At first glance, the following mods I noted to reinstall appear to be missing. Mind you, I have no idea if that actually means they are incompatible. Maybe this will help someone else make their decision between the platforms, so I might as well drop this list here. 

Jarl's Adventure Pack (I remember you mentioning its antiquated coding structure and all, but I'll really miss its BG1 late game additions)

1PP & Infinity Animations (to this day I haven't quite understood which of their components were ported to / are native to EE, but it does seem to me that EE paperdolls and some sprites lack the variety BGT with these mods sported)

Tashia and Amber NPCs (classics)

GB's Expanded Thief Stronghold, Wings (Aerie Expansion), Korgan's Redemption and Jan's Extended Quest in terms of must have content mods

Cliffette's Keyring, Homeward Bound, Game over only on party death, P5Tweaks / Klatu (item drop on imprisonment etc.) in terms of essential QoL features

Tortured Soul Quest, Herbs and Potions, Saga Master Ulrien of Cormyr, Alcool, Turnip Golem (all of them small but fun encounters)

Edited by Isewein
missing mods

@Isewein 1PP will be updated but won't be EE compatible as most of its content has been integrated into EE engines. IA is quite finished and will be EE compatible, but that's a tough job because every IE game package does not contain the same files and mostly because there are a lot of inconsistencies in the code.

Guest Henanigan

Hi, I hope that this is the right place to ask:

Re the 'Mods installed on BG:EE previous to installing EET on BG2:EE' list vs. the 'Mods installed after EET main component on BG2:EE' list. It's clear of course that the first list of mods cannot go after EET. But is it also the case that the second list cannot be installed before EET? It's not clear to me if BGEE mods with 'native' EET compatibility could go in either list, or if those on the first list are the only ones supported. There are mods that go on top that should be installed after mods that go below, according to their readmes (e.g. bgqe - bg1npc - bg1re - bg1ub). What to do in this case: install bgqe, bg1npc, bg1ub first on BGEE and then bg1re after EET; or install bg1re on BGEE as well, even though it's not listed as compatible? EET has a compat folder with a list of mods that overlap the Previous list, including bg1re and gavin. Does this mean that 'compat' mods may go either previous or after, whereas any BGEE mods not in the compat folder must go 'after'? Or does it mean something else altogether.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I could not find a clear answer.

Guest Henanigan

Endarire, I suspect that you'd get different answers depending on who you ask.

I compared the lists, just for fun. There are quite a few differences. Some of them though are due to sorting only, e.g. "Sir Ajantis" vs. "Ajantis, Sir"; or "Ascalon's Breagar" vs. "Breagar, Ascalon's". (The maintainers of this list may want to have a look at 'Wizard Slayer Rebalancing' sorted after Y, and 'Iylos NPC' sorted before Imoen.) Several differences are due to higher version numbers in Roxanne's version, e.g. 'Adrian NPC v4.0' > 'Adrian NPC v4.3', 'Almateria's Restoration Project v8.2.7 or above' > 'Almateria's Restoration Project v8.4 or above', and so on. I find this a bit odd, because if an older version of the mod was found to be compatible, then probably it did not stop being compatible just because there's a new version out. In any case, to put it simply you should be safe using the latest version of the mod listed.

Disregarding such differences, though, it turns out that rather than one version of the list being more recent than the other, the lists are simply out of sync. Some late additions to the original list are missing from Roxanne's version, whereas Roxanne has a number of mods added from her own repo. Simply put, you cannot trust the 'last updated' date.

=======

I'll repeat my own question, in case someone is reading this thread. The compatibility list has two parts, let's call them 'pre-EET' and 'post-EET'. For the BG:EE mods found in the post-EET part, which of the following is true?
a/ They may be installed pre-EET as well, not just post-EET (if so, perhaps this could be documented in some way)
b/ They must be installed post-EET (the lists are to be taken literally)
c/ Some of them (those in the 'compat' folder?) may be installed pre-EET, but this is not guaranteed to work for all of them (if this is the case, which ones do work?)

Taken literally, the doc has BG1RE installed after BG1UB which is incorrect according to the readmes. (Some crossmods are affected as well, I think.)
Once again, I'm asking specifically about BG:EE mods listed as post-EET, not all mods listed as post-EET.

23 minutes ago, Guest Henanigan said:

In any case, to put it simply you should be safe using the latest version of the mod listed.

Be careful, though: Roxanne made inofficial own mod versions of other people's mods and gave them new version numbers. The original mods might have a lower version number, but that is because Roxanne's versions are inofficial ones. The original mod versions are still to be preferred and are up to date.

To make it short: the list from k4thos lists links to the original mods.

Guest Henanigan

Ascension, for example, is up to v2.0.8 here at G3 (and v2.0.9 here; legit?). In any case, both versions would be covered by "Ascension v1.5 BETA or above" (my italics) in k4thos's list, which is why I found it odd that the version number was changed to "2.0.8" in the BWS list. The list may look more up-to-date of course. Inofficial mod versions might be part of the explanation though, thanks for the reminder!

Guest JustInstalledEET
14 minutes ago, Guest Henanigan said:

Ascension, for example, is up to v2.0.8 here at G3 (and v2.0.9 here; legit?). In any case, both versions would be covered by "Ascension v1.5 BETA or above" (my italics) in k4thos's list, which is why I found it odd that the version number was changed to "2.0.8" in the BWS list. The list may look more up-to-date of course. Inofficial mod versions might be part of the explanation though, thanks for the reminder!

Don't forget that EET and some mods needed updates after the games went to version 2.5. Something like Ascension v1.5 beta wouldn't do anymore. Some mods and references in k4thos' list are not reflecting this. Another case is where the update of a mod like SCS or Ascension would also require higher versions of other mods. The ...or above woudn't cover that.

For the post-EET vs pre_EET it's a bit more complex because some BG1 mods have native EET support so that they can install post-EET. But there's the odd case that such a mod must be installed prior a mod with non-native EET support, so you need to take this into account unless you use an install tool that knows such detail.

Guest Henanigan

They are the only explanation why Roxanne's mod versions have "higher" numbers.

Not what I was saying, since Ascension 2.0.8 is not Roxanne's version.

Something like Ascension v1.5 beta wouldn't do anymore.

I assumed that Ascension was EET compatible since then.

For the post-EET vs pre_EET it's a bit more complex because some BG1 mods have native EET support so that they can install post-EET. But there's the odd case that such a mod must be installed prior a mod with non-native EET support, so you need to take this into account

Yeah, that's what I'm asking. Personally I'm omitting 'install tools' from the equation though, as I'm fine with installing stuff manually. I'm not using more than 40-odd mods anyway. (And if I really wanted to batch install stuff, I could make my own tool.) Regarding installation order in this particular case (the 'odd' case, as you put it): yes I could experiment and find out, but it seemed easier (and not unreasonable) to simply ask the modder(s) about their intention.