Mod Compatibility List for EET

1 hour ago, jastey said:

You can use PI to install EET, but as far as I understood you'll need to do more by hand (PI will not mod the BG1 install, make the basic EET, and mod the EET for you in one go).

As for plans on EET official release, there is a current release which is working just fine, but all in all, I'm also the wrong to ask.

Thanks for answer. Is there any manual how to install EET using PI?

On 10/1/2019 at 8:01 AM, Etamin said:

I didn't try yet, because i'm waiting for patch 2.6, but is it possible to install EET by Project Infinity? Or do we have to wait for official support?

Waiting for 2.6 in order to try EET is not good idea:

- EET will have to be updated for 2.6
- some mods will have to be updated for 2.6
- new bugs might appear

It's safe enough to try EET today. You can read instructions for PI and EET and if something is not clear, please provide feedback.

On 10/1/2019 at 1:57 PM, jastey said:

You can use PI to install EET, but as far as I understood you'll need to do more by hand (PI will not mod the BG1 install, make the basic EET, and mod the EET for you in one go).

I have coded prototype for EET support, it currently allows for installing mods for BG1EE, installing EET and installing rest of BG2EE mods in one go. I'm waiting for @K4thos support/feedback before release.

Edited by AL|EN
12 minutes ago, Arthas said:

And by the way do you think the fixpack is installed as last mod after all the others?

No, it's installed DURING the BWS preinstall, aka it modifies the mods that are to be installed after unpacking them.

What the mod does is, is it adds a name to the shadow thief in the cutscene... that's a tweak ... and I am a Jesus, but that's besides the point... just like the Fixpack alters multiple monsters Alignments... but that's not a tweak. The line is as blurry as you like it to be.

The tweak is inserting the name of Mae'Var, the rebelleous thief guild master into the kidnapping scene of SoD. In the original game, it was not clear who were the people kidnapping the group.

I was ninja'd by Jarno. :)

Just to make this clear: I, also, think that Mae'Var makes much sense. But it is a tweak and not everyone might be aware of that.

The EET fixpack mentioned was, iirc, created to alleviate some issues that EET players encountered as the game and/or other mods changed. E.g. the bug with the necromancer summoner in the Black Pits crashing the game became an issue for some EET players as the Sandrah Saga mod for EET included the Black Pits. Other fixes were implemented to handle errors that arose when the 2.5 patch hit, as can be seen here. I think at least some of these issues have been corrected locally now, but not sure about the final state.

Edit: also, the fixpack, in terms of how it's installed, is its own separate mod, i.e. it can be installed after EET or other mods, unlike the old BW fixpack where you had to patch individual mods prior to installing them (but you still need to install it before reaching the parts of the game that it's meant to fix). As the fixpack still seems to contain fixes for 2.5-induced mod bugs though, it could end up creating bugs for mods that have since been updated to take 2.5 behaviour into account.

Edited by Shin

@jastey tl;dr Simplest way to start from fresh repository is to delete you fork and fork it again. Then you can add "Edwin Romance" related info, create commit and send PR to original repo. This way the PR won't have conflict.

Longer version:

You fork contains a change which wasn't sensed into original repo: https://github.com/Gitjas/EET-Compatibility-List/commit/6feb2f106ec09c0793ae64255a30313ab8d07e45

This change is now redundant since the whole section disappear before. But you fork has still this change thus it's conflicting with current file from the main repository. You can click "Resolve Conflicts" and see at the bottom the 'git syntax aka <<<<<<< master' ( don not confuse <<<<<<< with weidu-related syntax)  for displaying what are differences between original file and you changes. You could also revert your last commmint inside you fork, sync it and then followup with "Edwin Romance" related info. But as I've said, the easiest and simplest way is to delete you fork and fork it again.

Edited by AL|EN

@AL|EN I thank you very much for the answer and reforking it anew is an idea I had but I wanted to use this as an example on how to deal with conflicts as I do not understand what I am to do with the <<<<<< section as it wants to change the master if I edit it.

But, I am still confused because as I see it, my last change you linked to:

https://github.com/Gitjas/EET-Compatibility-List/commit/6feb2f106ec09c0793ae64255a30313ab8d07e45

is inside the master here, or do I miss something? :

https://github.com/K4thos/EET-Compatibility-List/commit/8f1588ebe5d09e819bc2116efa8f2ccd1fd0db91

So basically I have no idea what GitHub's problem is and wnated to understand it.

@jastey 

Yes, it was merged but notice the difference between the SHA-1 commit numbers: K4thos repository is 8f1588... while you repository is 6feb2f1.

So it seems that you repo was somehow altered after I've accepted you PR. Did you happen to do 'Force Push' from you local copy?

The thing is, you created the PR from K4thos/EET-Compatibility-List to Gitjas/EET-Compatibility-List so I was able to resolve this conflict. Now you have to accept Gitjas/EET-Compatibility-List/pull/3 on you side so you could do further PR's.

Regarding <<<<<< section:

I do not understand what I am to do with the <<<<<< section as it wants to change the master if I edit it.

The 'master' means name of the branch which contain the changes. All changes which will be done will be done inside you repository. Nothing to worry about. When it happens, delete the conflict markers <<<<<<<, =======, >>>>>>> and make the changes you want in the final merge. This page can give you more details: https://help.github.com/en/github/collaborating-with-issues-and-pull-requests/resolving-a-merge-conflict-on-github

Thank you very much for your help!

4 minutes ago, AL|EN said:

Did you happen to do 'Force Push' from you local copy?

I'm not aware I did but it's possible, of course.

Thanks for the links. What I missed in my conflicts page was the possibility to 4. "Decide if you want to keep only your branch's changes, keep only the other branch's changes(..).".

All I could do was edit the file with the <<<<< markers, which confused me.

So I'm finally getting ready for my first EET run. I used to prefer semi manual installs for BGT/BWP, pre-editing the install.bat file with my choices of mod order and components following the PDF guide. Since that one is not available for EE, I'm wondering how best to replicate that install method. Should I just manually install one mod after the other? And if so, what about mods not listed in the compatibility list here - tough luck? Or rely on Project Infinity, even though it smells a bit too much of BWS to my liking...

Would be grateful for anyone's brief advice!

There's no surefire way to do a multi-mod EET install, unfortunately. My personal procedure after several trial-and-error installs goes something like this:

- Manual download and installation of every mod I'm aiming for, and for each one (unless I'm extremely familiar with it) check forums for updates or recent bug reports/incompatibilities. 

- Roughly follow the latest BWP manual in terms of what types of mods go before other types. In my experience, very little about this changes with the EEs -- the BWP also usually gives a reasonable rationale for why something has to be installed before something else, or in separate parts, etc, giving you something to go on when deciding your own order. E.g, if a mod has to be installed in a more complicated manner to avoid conflict with another mod that you aren't going to install anyway, you can likely disregard the warnings.

- Check forums over at baldursextendedworld.com for bug reports. Regardless of other opinions about that site, it's a good source for general large-EET-install troubleshooting.

- Try to avoid or minimize the amount of mega-/large mods that add a lot of non-contained content or make sweeping changes. Double-check compatibility for any such mods that I do install, especially if they've recently changed. E.g, since the latest version of SCS adds a UI element for fine-tuning difficulty, it has become important to install UI mods prior to it.

- When possible, install the mods I'm more unsure about late in the process so they're easy to remove again if they create more trouble than they're worth.

With this I've grown fairly confident that I get a workable installation and can handle most subsequent bugs as they happen during the playthrough. As for mods not included for EET compatibility, one of the folders in the EET package contains information on how to check them for incompatibilities and how to instruct EET to import them from BG/SoD. For smaller/NPC mods it's usually fine, but if an NPC has content in both BG1/SoD and BG2 and comes with a separate install package for each game, this can cause some override issues.

It can also be added that this method is hardly fast -- mod selection, preparation and installation usually takes me the better part of a week. But then again I also find it rather enjoyable, like a kind of ritual in anticipation of the playthrough.