Sword Coast Stratagems v33 now available

Hi! I'm currently on a BG1EE playthrough with SCS 33.6 installed, and I've noticed some strange behavior with the Protection from Normal Missiles spell. From what I understand, one of the default changes that SCS brings is making elemental arrows (like arrows of ice and arrows of fire) blocked by PfNM. However, in my current game, it seems to only apply if PfNM is cast by a player character and not by an enemy. So for instance:

• If one of my characters casts PfNM on a target (regardless if that target is said character, another player character, a friendly NPC or an enemy), the target will be immune to arrows of ice and arrows of fire (the feedback logs will record a successful hit, but no damage, physical or elemental, will be taken).
  • If an enemy casts PfNM (as part of their instant casting to simulate precasting at the beginning of a fight), they will be vulnerable to arrows of ice and arrows of fire (they will take both the physical and elemental damage when hit, or only the elemental damage if they are currently affected by stoneskin).

The last enemy I've seen affected by this was Kahrk (the ogre mage at Firewine Bridge). I think he starts the fight with Protection from Magical Weapons and Protection from Normal Missiles (amongst other things). Once his PfMW runs off, but while he still has PfNM on, I can damage him with Arrows of Ice, which shouldn't be happening from what I understand.

I'm however not sure if this is coming from SCS or from my game files. Aside from SCS, the only other mod I have installed is something to add custom voicelines. I also included the arcane and divine spells from IWD during the SCS installation, though I don't know if this could have affected the behavior of PfMW in any way. Any idea where this could be coming from?

Small update on my previous post. After looking through the game files with Near Infinity, I couldn't understand why PfNM would behave differently depending on whether it was cast by one of my characters or by an enemy, despite both my character and the enemy having the exact memorized same spell according to the game files (SPWI311.SPL).

It turns out that this issue seems to be linked to precasting specifically: when PfNM is cast as part of precasting, DWSW311.SPL is used instead of SPWI311.SPL. But looking at the effects of DWSW311.SPL in Near Infinity, it lacks some of the projectile immunities of SPWI311.SPL (which seem to be the elemental arrows and bolts). So when an enemy casts PfNM manually, it behaves correctly (elemental arrows/bolts are blocked). But when it's part of precasting, PfNM won't block those.

Minor trouble with the 1v1 against Faldorn. Cernd works properly if he joins the fight from outside the party. I recall this didn't use to work - he would not shapeshift  - but this path is now working correctly. However, if Cernd joins the fight from *within* the party, he gets teleported naked into the arena and doesn't have his werewolf token. Not sure about greater werewolf, my Cernd is level 11. 

Fwiw, he still won the fight because he landed an insect plague, but he had to work harder for it... 

Running 33.6.

Edit: Somewhat more serious, Cernd is also robbed off his shapeshift tokens in spellhold, if "party items removed" is enabled. My poor wolf boy is sad :(.

I noticed that at some point the items from Bodhi's bag of holding were removed. I assume that was intentional?

Edited by Jabberwock

But the arena fight actually works now! Just not when cernd is in the party. Seems like all the interactions that clear cernd's inventory take his shapeshift token, which unlike Jaheira he doesn't have the option of recreating. Some of us are playing no-reload and appreciate safer (i.e. more cowardly) ways to deal with a dangerous fight :).

I also noticed that 0 damage elemental attacks still interrupt spellcasters when they are from a weapon. I assume this is due to an engine limitation, or perhaps is WAD. Just wanted to mention it. 

This mechanic came in unintentionally helpful against the fight with the hated (by me anyway) spellhold lich, and allowed keldorn to repeatedly interrupt him with lightning bolts. I also noticed the lich canceled spells sometimes when the target left line of sight (I think ADHW twice, but not FoD - spell types may have been coincidence though). 

Now I just need to survive the next floor and the fight with Irenicus with only PC monk, Valygar, Minsc and Keldorn (Cernd and Haerdalis both having suicided themselves against greater mummy disease when I wasn't paying attention - but Cernd would have lived with his GWW token ..!).

I also noticed that it became harder to get slayer change before the fight with Jon. Or at least I think it did - I used to bring it as a backup to the fight, but now it seems I don't get it until the underdark. Maybe I need to rest more in bodhi's dungeon...

Of course still love the mod as always.

23 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

And that's from a mod, so it's incompatibility of that mod and some other.

It is indeed from a mod, but that mod is SCS 🙂. I assure you that I have only SCS and ascension installed... Well, those two and one cdtweak "give every class 4 weapon slots", but that's certainly not the source of the token, and I wouldn't think the source of its removal. 

I think what we're really learning here is that no one plays with poor Cernd. He's good now! Give him a try...!

On 11/22/2020 at 4:28 PM, DrAzTiK said:

it looks like ennemies don't notice priest who are protected by the new IWD spells ( divine protection and greater divine protection,) Ennemies should react to these protections in a similar way to protection from magical weapons I think.

Good point.

On 11/26/2020 at 2:31 PM, Jabberwock said:

But the arena fight actually works now! Just not when cernd is in the party. Seems like all the interactions that clear cernd's inventory take his shapeshift token, which unlike Jaheira he doesn't have the option of recreating. Some of us are playing no-reload and appreciate safer (i.e. more cowardly) ways to deal with a dangerous fight :).

Noted, thanks.

I also noticed that 0 damage elemental attacks still interrupt spellcasters when they are from a weapon. I assume this is due to an engine limitation, or perhaps is WAD. Just wanted to mention it. 

Neither - it's just an oversight on my part. That said, 2.6 will probably fix this at engine level.

I also noticed that it became harder to get slayer change before the fight with Jon. Or at least I think it did - I used to bring it as a backup to the fight, but now it seems I don't get it until the underdark. Maybe I need to rest more in bodhi's dungeon...

I don't think SCS messes with this.

I'm using 33.6 and I'm having trouble dealing with Kangaxx again. In the past I keep running into a bug where Kangaxx won't die and transform. I used to think it was because of Protection from Undead scrolls, but it happens even when I don't use them at all, on any party members. I'll Breach him early on (I have multiple arcane spellcasters and the difficulty is on Tactical) and then quickly bring him down to Near Death, but he keeps on casting spells, even if they get disrupted over and over again. Even healing him and bringing him back down to Near Death won't trigger his transformation.

EDIT: I managed to get around it by changing his script so that it checks to see if he's at less than 10 HP, instead of exactly at 1 HP. Maybe the larger window is necessary given his regeneration from the ring. I had to spawn a new version of him, though; creatures can't be changed by Near Infinity in a save game if they were already loaded before the change. It's a simple preventative measure, but otherwise it seems Kangaxx is just randomly immortal.

Edited by semiticgod