Subrace mod

I apologize for the delay. But there is a problem here. The appearance of multiple quotes and the like. It depends on various reasons in the modified ui.menu. Therefore, I decided to write a more universal code that would take all this into account. Unfortunately, I didn't think about it right away. I'll try to get it done within a couple of weeks.

Take your time! Thank you so much for this mod. I love that the Soulfein mod is already using checks for it!

I was wondering would the engine be able to parse mixed ancestry? Like a half elf that has two elven parents but one is Drow and the other is say a moon elf? (More curious about what the engine can be made to check for with flags).

BG does not support subraces. Therefore, the character's race is used as usual (human, elf, half-elf, etc.). The mod adds only the effects of the subrace and a local variable by which you can find out the subrace. I think that a half-drow, half-moon elf should have an elf race. We need to think about it.

I love that the Soulfein mod is already using checks for it!

Wow. I didn't even know))

It's included in the "Install Detection for Drow PC" component of the Solaufein's Rescue mod. Great to see someone is using it!

@tipun In the tp2 I use:

Spoiler

/* subrace mod from tipun. EE only */
/* TriggerOverride(Player1,Global("SUBRACE","LOCALS",3)) */
ACTION_IF (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~SR_DROW.spl~) BEGIN
  PRINT @90014
  EXTEND_TOP ~AR2100.bcs~ ~C#Solaufein/crossmod/AR2100_subraceBGEE_tipun.baf~
USING ~C#Solaufein\Translations\autotra/%s\c#solatra.tra~
END

and "AR2100_subraceBGEE_tipun.baf" is the following. I hope it makes sense.

Spoiler

IF
    Global("C#Solaufein_PCIsDrow","GLOBAL",0)
    TriggerOverride(Player1,Global("SUBRACE","LOCALS",3)) //tipun's BG:EE Subrace mod
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        SetGlobal("C#Solaufein_PCIsDrow","GLOBAL",1)
        Continue()
END

@jastey

Got it, thanks for the info.

As an example, the C#Solaufein_PCIsDrow variable can be used to check the PC subrace. Although in my IWD2 mod, for which this mod was created in the first place, I do not use additional variables. Everywhere I use TriggerOverride.
By the way, Solaufein himself can also be subrace, just as I did for Viconia and Baeloth. Then it will also be possible to define him in scripts/dialogs as a drow. This will identify him as a drow if your mod is installed with my mod IWD2. There are several subrace checks for the character who is speaking.

It'll be interesting to see how this gets incorporated in mods in the future. Like even just mods that add conversations and injections from companions about the players subrace (maybe some bonding between Viconia if your a drow etc).

I would suggest maybe removing the light blindness from the PC if possible since they would have lived on the surface their whole life. Maybe have them loose Faire Fire in exchange?  (if we're going off of canon I'm not even sure if the Daughter of the Drow events have happened yet).

Also would you consider adding something in like Kismet's half-drow half -elf? She has the 3.5 stats for them and for half drow half human though they'd need a bit of tweaking to fit into the games (ie translating the bonus to spot checks into maybe spot trap bonus).

I think I've mentioned it, but I'm a big fan of the mod - my random rambling/feedback from a game balance POV - I don't think the XP penalty is a significant enough tradeoff for the benefits in most cases (although I can see why it works as a great catch-all for disadvantages), as most modders will have such abundant XP, they even tend to nerf it themself (50%, 75% etc.) via tweak mods.

Unfortunately, the disadvantages that would work well may not be doable thanks to game engine, but looking at current Drow:

Pros: +1 int, +1 cha, +2 search traps (is this 2%?), 50% MR, +1 save vs spells, Faerie Fire x3/day

Cons: Light blindness (-1 thaco / saves in daylight), 90% xp rate

Just my 2c, but I think a more interesting/balanced Drow would be:

Pros: 50% MR

Cons: Small chance to be randomly attacked by "innocent" flagged characters every X minutes / reputation gains are halved+temple gain disabled, alignment restricted to Evil, -1 cha

The minor +s to stats on most subraces are neat, but should be balanced vs pure benefit (so, if a subrace like Drow kept the 1 int, 1 cha, they would lose 2 points somewhere else).

Deep gnome is another fun one, but I think they have too many advantages (although a -1 strength is a significant con when one may want to use the illusion magic to benefit a meleer) - I think they'd be in a better spot if their 50% MR bonus was removed.

1 hour ago, ahungry said:

Faerie Fire x3/day

1 hour ago, ahungry said:

Cons: Light blindness (-1 thaco / saves in daylight

Plus neither of these make sense for a Drow raised on the surface.  Drow didn't start being able to use their magic outside the underdark until  the mid 1361 DR and the game takes in 1368. Maybe an option for another drow to teach a PC drow Faerie fire but only be able to do it once a day?

In the long term, the EXP penalty matters a small amount.  In the short term, especially at low levels, the EXP penalty notably matters!  (Yes, I have been one of those "EXP per unit time" calculators!)  The advantages of these subraces are also meant to keep them alive longer, meaning fewer reloads in the long-term.

This EXP penalty was probably based off 3.x's level adjustment (LA) system that was a penalty to EXP/levels, at least in the short-term.